Door on shower
amos322
Do you need a door on your shower
Interiors International, Inc.
No, absolutely not. I hate them and all my bathrooms are designed to not have them. If the shower is small and water will splash out of it then you need to treat the entire room as a wet space.
2 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 7:20PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Just as an added note to the comment above. Treating the entire room as a wet space involves more than just tile. The floor and six inches up the walls should be waterproofed with either a liquid waterproofing membrane or a sheet membrane with an integral non- woven fabric..
2 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 8:13PM
Interiors International, Inc.
@Norm Walters Construction Inc. Thank you for saying that. I sometimes forget that not everybody knows how to do the things I suggest. Your post is absolutely right. You obviously know your stuff.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 8:35PM
EB Interiors
I appreciate the look of an open shower but wonder if it ever gets cold in there?
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 8:53PM
Interiors International, Inc.
@EB interiors, That is what in floor radiant heat is for you don,t get cold unless you leave a window open. ;-)
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 5:41AM
EB Interiors
your right!
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 5:19PM
bojaby
And what do you do about your wet toilet and water soaked bath mat? Doesn't seem very practical in a small bath room.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 5:34PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Really, who uses a bath mat in a designer bathroom? As for the wet toilet all you need is a good design and the water won't hit it. You don't have to trust me but I've designed a lot of these and my clients toilets are dry.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 6:02PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
bojaby, the idea of waterproofing the entire bathroom is a worse case scenario precaution. There won't be that much water that gets out unless you have multiple body sprays, shower heads, etc. Then you probably need a door.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 7:52PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Norm, I'm really starting to like you. I enjoy people who know what they are saying and can back it up with knowledge.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:11PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Thanks Johnathon, I took a look at your web site, nice! Attached is a photo of a shower i built with no door. Although it was ten feet by five feet, had 5 body sprays, regular shower head, Kohler Watertile four headed shower head on the ceiling, and a handheld. With everything on at once it used 27 gallons per minute. Amazing how they have a limit of 2..5 gpm on shower heads, lol.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 8:48PM
hr01
I'm in the process of building a 5x7 shower with two entrances and hopefully no doors will be needed
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:49PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
hr01, 7 feet on the length should be fine, leave about a 28" opening to get in. Not sure I would use Glacier Bay anything. I know they are priced well but they are made in China at several different plants and you will have a hard time tracking down parts for them as no one knows where they came from, especially Home Depot. I've had good luck with Kohler products, never a warranty issue. Laticrete Hydroban is also a better liquid wateproofing membrane, I've seen Red Guard liquify when it got wet.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:54PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Norm, I love the shower. 27 g per m LOL not with the showers we build. I'm feeling guilty now. :-( It isn't very green of us.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:56PM
hr01
Thanks well you saw the price I paid ,I wasn't a fan of the glacier bay stuff either even though they were $178 normal price @ H. depot, they do have ceramic disc cartridges, I will look into the Laticrete
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:15PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
If you need a reasonably priced garden tub Pro-Flo is of decent qualty and Kohler owns them.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:18PM
hr01
thanks, did you check out the latest 1963 model?
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:22PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
At 330 lbs. I have a love/hate relationship with cast iron tubs.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:26PM
Ironwood Builders
Norm, you hate them, admit it...you only like them when they make some profit...and that is small compared to the pain in the back!
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:29PM
hr01
I removed and recycled "the corner mayflower(in the first pic.) i could a used you to help get it out,wow that was a monster and ridiculously heavy
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:32PM
rawketgrl
Shower doors are the bane of Occupational Therapists everywhere. They are poor for accessibility if an injury or a recovery is ever needed. (Also being injured or recovering from a surgery is likely at some point if you are human).
Preferences:
1. Nothing, no barrier
2. Curtain
3. Refer to above :)
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:33PM
Cabinets were delivered and we don't like how they look
We had our cabinets delivered and we don't like the...
kacykam
tpazos35
PAINTING LIVING ROOM AND HALLWAY
I NEED HELP WITH DECIDING ON COLORS, I CURRENTLY HAVE...
jendaffer
Blinds White or Expresso
Having a hard time deciding between White or Expresso...
blackhawks2000
Smart tiles
Has anyone used smart tiles, the ones you basically...
allisongarber