Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shacar

BORING LIVING/DINING AREA NEEDS SOME SPRUCING UP, HELP PLEASE

shacar
11 years ago
Really seeking ideas on the two areas, if its either window treatment, rugs, family portraits or art work. Hope pics loaded this time :-(

Comments (51)

• shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you, tried at least three times to put more pics, but some how they are not loading. There is no FP or TV, but thank you for the suggestions :-(
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here's the other pics
  • Mahvesh Fareed Siddiqui
    11 years ago
    I would add the following:
    - Table Lamp and a flower arrangement on the side table
    - Candles, decorative pieces, and books on the main coffee table
    - Bright cushions in contrast to the color of your couch
    - Area Rug
    - A tall plant on the right side of the couch
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Pics
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Lots of potential. If possible the wall colors should be changed to provide more contrast with the flooring. Try to incorporate the red accents throughout the room.
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    WOW, I LOVE IT THANKS...now do the reds have to be the same color and would I change the color in dining area too
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Dytecture also are those a reddish lamp shades
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    More red accent inspirations for you!
    West Village Apartment · More Info

Living Room · More Info

KUNDALINI · More Info

Noho Loft · More Info
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    Definitely think you need to choose a color and continue it in both areas. You can mix some red and even rusy orange.
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes loving the red accents, gonna try adding the accessories first before going into painting, but so love it. So like the runner on my dining table I would change that to red also and would I do a solid red curtains
  • rachmonti
    11 years ago
    I love those red accents! My suggestion would be art on the empty walls along with some of the other suggestions like large plants, window treatments etc.
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'm getting the idea of the red accents just trying to get ideas on the window treatments on what color would look right on the red accent window wall...
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    In my dining area would a buffet or console table be good for that space?
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    In my dining area would a buffet or console table be good for that space?
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Glad you like it. The lamp shades are more brown than reds. As long as the new reds are in the same color family and what you have it would be fine.
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Dytecture what's best for window treatment colors
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    The room could use some height, so maybe even a hutch in the dining room that isn't too deep. Otherwise a buffet or console, depending on how much storage you need. They give you a place to put two small lamps and some things to add personality.
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    11 years ago
    I would recommend Roman Shades its something that you can add a lot of color with. It will definitely give you a more finished look and you can also carry it through to the other windows so there all uniform.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.html
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks blinddirectcanada, are you suggesting that color
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Still having a problem in choosing window treatment if I go with curtains should they be a solid color if so which one or do a pastel one like chairs. If I go with blinds a solid color or what. Please help : (
  • rachmonti
    11 years ago
    My personal preference would be to pick the window treatments in a color like your furniture, somewhere in that family if you are keeping the red on the wall. Otherwise red window treatments if you we're to change the color of the wall to match the rest of the walls.
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have a chocolate sofa/loveseat so match with that or with chairs against window?
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    11 years ago
    I think the chocolate brown would look great .However I would recommend getting the top down bottom up option so you can add more light to the room.
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    What about curtains?
  • rachmonti
    11 years ago
    I like the chocolate too.
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    Drapes are and area where you could use a pattern that would liven up the whole room. They don't have to be wildly floral or anything - even a subtle pattern would be an enormous boost.
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    I should be more specific - are you using the red and beige carpet in the picture above? Are you leaving the wall red? Either way, a subtle stripe or or maybe just a heavy linen that has some natural color variation and lots of texture. Personally I'd find a fabric with a pattern, but not everyone likes much pattern or to mix patterns...
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    11 years ago
    If you are leaning towards doing drapery then it should look something like this . However I would still recommend the chocolate color. I would also add a cellular or silhouette blind inside the window for light control and coverage.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/hunter-douglas/silhouette-toronto.html

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/cellular-shades.html
  • Jennifer Hogan
    11 years ago
    I love red but I feel like the red and white portion of the room is lonely and over dressed with all the neutral.

Is it just the pictures or are the walls in the dining room a different color than the living room?

To tie the deep red into the rest of the rooms you can do several things. Change the color of the blinds to match the paint in the other parts of the room and add red accents throughout the rooms.

You could use accent pieces and carpets and paint just the ceilings red (both rooms). Repaint the red accent wall one of the two wall colors.

Paint the under the rail portion of the walls the deep red. Maybe just on that full wall or all the way through the two rooms.

One other thing to keep in mind is the undertones of both the red and the neutral that you are using have to work together. If your neutral has yellow undertones a purple undertoned red will not work as well as one with more orange. If you have a pink undertone to your neutral the purple toned reds will work beautifully.

Devine Color sells a pallet page ($5.00) of their trend proof reds (Valley Vinyards) that really helps in selecting the right red. Cut out the center of the page and tape it to your walls. One or two of the reds will speak to you - they will be the right undertone for your wall color.

I will try to post some pictures of your rooms with some different color options.
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Nononanna yes I do plan on keeping red wall for time being and I'm open to fabics, thank you. Blindsdirectcanada I wil go for the chocolate with some type of red in it along with the blinds, thank you. Jennifer yes the dining/living room are the same color minus the red its just the pic and thanks for the page I will post pics once decision have been made. Didn't think this would be so hard, but I will hang in there til this project is complete thanks again everyone :-)
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    It'll be great! And the process is as interesting as the finished product. Have fun!
  • deansherrie
    11 years ago
    I like the colors of your walls you have now with the red accent wall. Just add an area rug like others have mentioned to compliment the colors and also a picture with bring these colors together over the sofa. I love your bay window but would change out the blinds to a brown or gold shade. I like the clean lines you have now but just accessorize.
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Rug found what you think :-)
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Would this be too much?
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Or this one and found lamp shades to match
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    Wow! You're going all out? The oriental style could be lovely, and the bright one could be really cool, too. If you go that way, your other decisions will have to take it into consideration - the oriental style is almost a neutral.
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Or this one and found lamp shades to match
  • PRO
    Luxurious Finds
    11 years ago
    Drapery should be a soft gold with a bit of red in the design - add an area rug and artwork - accessories are the jewelry of your room - use the drapery fabric to put pillows that match on the chairs and /or sofa - the dining table needs to be dressed ( with dishes and a long low floral going down the center or the table runner). Any further questions - Luxurious
    Finds 407-923-6784
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you draperies will bbe my option considering its in the pillows ans lamp shades, but think I have to choose another rug to creamy to me what's you guys thoughts
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you draperies will bbe my option considering its in the pillows ans lamp shades, but think I have to choose another rug this one too creamy and small to me, what's you guys thoughts
  • Jean Tuck
    11 years ago
    im happy with this look, i might add one more table to match ones in there where there isnt one.
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you, but you don't think I should get a rug with less cream in it? I was thinking of putting a tall lamp in the corner the other table is in the middle of chairs by window
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    Agree on all points - it's too small, and now that I see it on the floor, it is way too light. The space could use something with more character, definitely. Both ideas - lamp and table between chairs- will make the room more agreeable to use.
  • shacar
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, back to the store I go lol :-\
  • PRO
    Distinguished Flooring LLC
    11 years ago
    Maybe some candles and decorative pieces to warm the areas up and make them feel lived in
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Flowers will help your place look ready for company. I love the red walls and would pair it with a minimal arrangement to help soften the space. I think white phalaenopsis orchids would be perfect. In addition, geometric designed pillows and a cozy rug would be a great start.
    Flowers: http://bit.ly/Y5e728 Pillow: http://bit.ly/X38faD
  • louth
    10 years ago
    You could consider wallpapering the wall behind the table in the dining area: https://www.houzz.com/photos/red-wallpaper-phbr0lbl-bl~l_45831?fi=32
  • louth
    10 years ago
    Sorry, that link brings you to a number of ideas - it's the 3rd one down that caught my attention. I'm not sure how to post it as a pic.
  • PRO
    Homescapes
    10 years ago
    Add some artificial flowers or wall art to spruce up the look.
  • caitlanellen
    9 years ago

Hi, I would suggest re painting the walls in more neutral/light colours and add indigo/navy artwork. Keep blinds neutral - white plantation shutters would look great.