Need help with kitchen cabinets. What color should I paint them?
rvficklen
I'd really like to get rid of all the white in my kitchen. Should I paint my cabinets? Replace my cabinets? Or, what do they call it, resurface them? The appliances, as you can see, are all white. I'll probably replace them, when their time comes, with stainless. Thanks for any help!
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I can't tell for sure, but it appears your cabinetry may be thermofoil as the edges of the recessed panels look to be slightly rounded. If they are thermofoil, then painting would be expensive and would not last a long time. If you want a different color, then I would replace. If they are wood cabinets (no thermofoil and no melamine exposed) then you could have them painted.
2 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 11:49AM
rvficklen
Thanks. I'll check and see if they're wood or thermofoil.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 11:53AM
movethisnotthat
a quickier face lift would be to remove the wall paper, then check out all the white kitchens in the houzz files...they are beautiful !!! You are only a step away from having a gorgeous kitchen !! WHITE is BIG right now. High end kitchens redos are using white appliances too !
8 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 12:09PM
Lowes
You will need to know if those cabinets are painted or if they are a thermafoil. Thermafoil is a coating they sometimes put on white cabinets that is harder but not impossible to paint. If they are paintable Id paint them an off white and glaze them in a darker color that way the glaze catches in the raised panel areas(rustolem makes a great product for this) , then Id add dark hardware on the cabinets ( maybe an old rubbed bronze.) Id also replace the light fixture over the bar with one of the "Thomas Edison " style ones. The floor is such a warm color and it looks like you have some nice natural light in there so Id play up both of those. Id also do a beadboard on the back of the island and either paint it a different color (may a paprika with a dark glaze) or paint and glaze it like the other cabinets. If that is granite on the tops it would definately make more sense to use your existing cabinets just update them. You would want to remove the wall paper and repaint the walls a neutral color ( l like" Bistro chair" by Allen and Roth )
Id also find some way to put some wood the same tone as they floors up somewhere in the cabinet area. Maybe in the backsplash area by the fridge?
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 12:12PM
pigoni
If you can't paint the cabinets, replace the wall paper and the hardware. I love the dark blue accent wall. With all the white you can use a lighter blue or green on the other walls and maybe add a glass tile backsplash by the refrigerator and behind the stove. Use brushed nickel hardware that will go with the stainless steel as you replace appliances.
3 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 12:40PM
rvficklen
You guys are great. Thanks. I'm glad that you like my blue accent wall. It carries into the dining room. It's a beautiful shade of blue.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 2:23PM
motownmom
I agree with those that say leave the cabinets white and rip out the wallpaper. I'd go with the same blue family, maybe lighter, and bring in an accent color from the rug. Maybe paint the chairs to match that accent color.

It's a personal preference, but I like white cabinets with white appliances, but opinions always vary because we all have different "likes" and "loves". Your easiest fix is the wallpaper and some paint. Then I think the starkness of the white will not be so awful to you.
1 Like   February 16, 2014 at 7:12AM
Kathleen Jamison
If the cabinets are in good shape. Painting is not necessary. What you do need to do is to redecorated. New light fixture. By by to wallpaper . Some open shelving. Bar stools way to big/heavy. Color.
1 Like   February 16, 2014 at 7:18AM
Kathleen Jamison
Sorry did not see the blue accent wall. Take off wall paper and do blue on all walls.
0 Likes   February 16, 2014 at 7:22AM
beattieboggs
Get rid of the wallpaper and border. Leave the cabinets as they are, white is great, and get a new light fixture. Then step back and re-think?
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 1:35PM
jillmeng
Get rid of all the wallpaper then paint with the shade or two lighter of the dining room blue. Then reconsider keeping the white. It's so in right now.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 1:43PM
Annette Kearney
http://www.houzz.com/pro/akearney/annette-kearney
Matisse inspired tiles and backsplashes
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 1:44PM
rvficklen
Thanks everybody. This picture was a year ago and I ended up taking out the wallpaper and painting the kitchen a dove grey. I left the cabinets as they were. It looks very nice.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 1:46PM
helixg1
Do you have photos of the after?
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 2:15PM
Thos. Baker
The cabinets look great! Leave them white, especially if you plan to get stainless steel appliances. The two are beautiful together. Replacing and updating the pulls/hardware on your cabinets will not only update the overall look, it's far more cost effective than resurfacing or replacing all of the cabinets, and much easier than painting them!

I agree that the wallpaper is what needs to be changed. You might want to consider using a mosaic glass textured wallpaper. Mosaic glass tiles and textured patterns can be used on walls or just as a back splash. They add a lot of style and depth to a room and are beautiful with white cabinets. I'd pick one with brown shades that draw from your counter tops and the warm wood tones in the flooring.

Also, pendant lighting above the island would go a long way in making your kitchen look brand new! Leave the cabinets and rework some of the other elements! You'll probably fall in love with your newly designed kitchen!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 2:17PM
Thos. Baker
Also thought you might like to consider changing your bar stools to a lighter style that would compliment the white cabinets and stainless steel appliances you're planning on.

The left photo shows a cafe bar stool from our stylish Cafe Collection. The right photo is a vintage-style bar stool with a "bistro" look from our Hudson Collection.

Either would look terrific for your island bar seating.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 2:32PM
Help! what color should i paint the kitchen cabinets
need help deciding on a color to paint my kitchen cabinets...
krystalkaplan
Need help ASAP pls! What color should I paint my cabinets?
Hi guys, Im hoping someone can steer me in the right...
sarajustice
What color and part of cabinets should I paint of cannot paint them all
Hi! I am getting walls painted, lighting added and...
Kelli Hale
Need help with kitchen!!should i paint the cabinets white??
we are looking to remodel the kitchen..and everything...
valeria9
Need Help! What color should my kitchen cabinets be???
I do really like the style of the kitchen cabinets...
halina1110
Need help with my kitchen
I will have Cherry Shaker cabinets, African Ivory granite,...
pattyginger
Boring windows
Since I have moved in 4 years ago the front of my house...
pammareid
Seeking comments on countertops and backsplash for our kitchen
We have been waffling between Carrara marble, Statuary...
summitsittin
wood ceiling suggestions
We are redoing a 1930 grange hall into a residence....
Gretchen Maurer
HELP! Curb Appeal and Accent Advice
I would greatly appreciate an feedback you may have...
christinedrayer