Do you have a granite sink in the kitchen? If so, do you like it?
princess_q
What are the pros and cons that you have noticed? Is it better than a stainless steel sink?
princess_q
I am talking about the Silgranit sinks made Blanco. It contains 80% granite dust and is very durable.
February 7, 2013 at 9:31am   
mbokrass
Check the July 2012 issue of Consumer Reports. They strongly recommend against them as they can crack (and did in their test). I have seen many, many good reviews of these composite sinks, and was about to have one installed, but the CR article really scared me.
February 7, 2013 at 10:47am   
Billie G
We have a hardstone (spotted belgian hardstone) sink in our kitchen and I really like it. We also have installed a "Quooker" that provides us with boiling water and we don't have any problems with it. I hope it will stay that way.
February 7, 2013 at 11:16am   
princess_q
mbokrass - thank you for the insight. I am looking into that. I am surprised and a bit disappointed as I don't know what sink to go with now. Any recommendations on brands and advise on what to look for?
February 7, 2013 at 1:06pm   
My daughter's kitchen sink is Silestone or Caesarstone. She loves it.
February 7, 2013 at 1:08pm   
Medcare Design
I have had 2 sinks from Stone Forest for 8 years. I love them. However, our water has a lot of rust and they can get darkened if you let water sit. The overal effect on the one that is used constantly is that it is darker. If you care, i am sure you can have it buffed out from time to time. I love the look, it never looks dirty due to the color (a rosy tan-beige/apricot with rough front, farmhouse style)
February 7, 2013 at 1:13pm   
princess_q
We were thinking of getting a dark brown colour to avoid any discolorations.
February 7, 2013 at 1:18pm   
mbokrass
I felt the same way. From the online reviews I've read, I suspect the Blanco sinks are mostly durable and usually hold up well. It just seemed like too much of a gamble. I wound up getting a stainless steel sink--not as pretty but durable. Consumer Reports says that the material from which the sink is made is more important than the brand. I'm afraid I didn't look any further so don't have information about other brands, etc.
February 7, 2013 at 1:25pm   
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
The 80% granite dust is measured by weight not volume, big difference. The same is said for quartz countertops, 93% quartz, 7% resin. Not knocking either product, just don't like the marketing tactics.
February 7, 2013 at 8:36pm   
princess_q
I spoke to the plumbing experts with our builder as they offer both stainless steel and the silgranite sinks, and they assured me that they have never had a problem with the sinks. In fact, the lady I spoke to said that her husband dropped their slow cooker into the sink (it slipped out of his hand) and the slow cooker cracked, but the sink remained in tact. She has had her Blanco silgranite sink for 6 years and she says it still looks brand new. I will research a little more into this and see what I can come up with
February 7, 2013 at 8:54pm   
Light switch question
Our home has old cream light switch plates and I was...
POLL: Pool or Hot Tub?
Some people have both. Some have just one or the other....
Need help with updating my kitchen
Hi, I am in need of advice on how to update my kitchen...
Just Moved! Stumped by large, open wall area!
Hi all - Please help! My husband and I just moved to...
Warm Basement floor options?
We are buying a house with a fireplace in the dingy...