What Color Paint for Cabinets Right alongside door and window trim?
ronnamandel
We have new built-in cabinets in family room/den right alongside door trim and window trim (larger now than in schematic attached). Want them all white. Guessing trim gets semi-gloss paint, what about cabinets? Also what color white works? Plain old ceiling white or a special kind of white, and must trim and cabinets be the same white? Thanks!
Julianne Jeffries, Interior Design
The shade of white really depends on the color scheme currently in your home. Are your trims in the rest of the house white? You should maintain trim colors consistent throughout a house to keep things harmonious. Trims are usually a semi-gloss and walls are typically matte or eggshell. Eggshell is tricky to paint if you are doing it yourself, as you can end up seeing the roller marks if you are not careful. Use a high quality paint when possible .. my preference as a designer is Benjamin Moore Aura paint, which has low VOC and true-color technology, meaning your color will stay true to tone for years to come regardless of the natural light that hits it. (There are many shades that come ONLY in Aura paint, they cannot be made into just any level paint, which also makes it special).

As for specific wall color, this also depends on whether your home is painted in warm tones or cool tones. Not all whites go with all colors. Some whites may provoke happy memories (think the white tones in a wedding or baby's room) or even not-so-happy thoughts (all those years trapped living in a tiny apartment painted "eggshell"... ick!). Get some samples and paint the walls. Even your own lighting in the home and on that wall can effect how a white looks. There are whites that are commonly used in design that looked YELLOW in my space, for example! The only way to be sure is to paint swatches on the wall in question and look at it throughout the day under a variety of light conditions.

Check out my own home to see white on white (walls and trim). I used Bjm Moore Aura paint in eggshell/ color Vanilla Milkshake for the wall color (makes me hungry every time I come through the door!) and Bjm Moore Aura paint in semi-gloss/ color . Ceilings are Bjm Moore White Ceiling paint.
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/users/julie_jeffries

Good luck!!
February 7, 2013 at 10:30am   
ronnamandel
Wow, Julie, that is SO very helpful. Will get on it this weekend. Problem though is I have already chosen color scheme throughout house so walls are covered. It's just the built-in cabinets I wonder about - do they get painted the same white as trim even if we use a different finish i.e. semi-gloss on white (say Vanilla Milkshake) and then eggshell BM Vanilla Milkshake on cabinetry?
February 7, 2013 at 3:38pm   
Julianne Jeffries, Interior Design
I would treat the built ins like the trim, assuming that you want them white. You could do them either in a flat or a semi gloss like the trim. I would just keep them the same color to have consistency. If they touch the trim, keep them the same gloss level. If they don't you can pick what you like. (That being said, if the room is small, you probably should keep them the same as the trim.) Post a pic when you are done! Glad I could help!
February 7, 2013 at 5:45pm   
What are the pros and cons of a Murphy bed versus a sleeper sofa
We have a guest room which we use as our office and...
Any ideas for this exterior?
I'm back to square one. I was planning on vinyl siding,...
Living room paint color disaster!!!! Help!!!
I bought 2 gallons of paint in a light greyish beige...
Too many colors! What to do?
As you can see I have the to many colors/textures ...
Need a custom size area rugs, what are my options?
Need a rug that is 11' x 13' to fit properly in out...