Help with a kitchen renovation... All advice welcome!
dlkula
We will be renovating this hideous kitchen soon and was wondering if this 12 foot wide kitchen could maybe fonts small island if I get rid if the peninsula and double oven (stovetop oven combo next to entrance where the phone outlet is) all thoughts welcome please:)
emilytacoma
I think this kitchen could totally support an island. I'm picturing a semi long rectangular island with an extension that serves as a breakfast bar. I like these island designs, I would go with backless barstools so they could be tucked under the island when you need to easily move around it. :) good luck!
February 7, 2013 at 5:52pm   
onthefence
When you say 12 ft wide do you mean wall to wall or space between the cabinet fronts?
February 7, 2013 at 6:00pm   
REDinterior
I don't think you have the room if you have 144". As I figure it you only have 10" width for the wanted island. The reason for this is that the minimum suggested aisle width is 42", anything smaller and you are always bumping into things, see my math below. The ones pictured above are likely 48".
So from left to right your dimensions would be as follows:
cabs 24"
aisle 42"
island
aisle 42"
cabs for appliances 26" (assuming a counter depth or built-in fridge)
Without the island you total 134" so you only have 10" left over which clearly isn't big enough for an island. Hope this helps.
February 7, 2013 at 6:02pm     
You may be able to to have an island. But, I'd make sure the island doesn't interrupt the "work triangle". You don't want to walk around the island to go from sink/refrig/stove. Also, it's nice if you can walk past someone even if they are standing at the refrigerator with the door open.
February 7, 2013 at 6:05pm   
If the 12' is wall to wall, then you probably do not have space for an island, which would require 42" of space around it. If my math is right you'd end up with a 12" wide island. You have a far better chance of enlarging the peninsula, making it deeper and getting rid of the bookshelves. But it can only get deeper if there is space in front of it to expand. We need additional photos, please.
February 7, 2013 at 6:05pm     
onthefence
Also if the 12' is the space between cabinets (and not wall to wall) there still may not be enough room to do an island with seating. It looks like there will be appliance doors opening into the aisle on both sides.
February 7, 2013 at 6:09pm   
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
really need 13' or more for optimum. Especially if your fridge & ovens have to be accommodated on the existing wall.

If you do a wider island and a slide in range rather than ovens, the area from fridge down could be shallow pantries, then 39" wide island, with some bar seating. In a large island a demi ht oven area (66"ht) can also be cool for a contemporary look.

Or perhaps your fridge on short wall right of sink & oven tower left of sink.... then big island and opposite wall from sink a series of pantries, open shelves & appliance storage.

Given your options, seek help of a professional kitchen designer. Also look at your appliance options. If you have your heart set on a particular set, then a competent designer will be able to show you the optimum positions.

Senior Designer~ Urbana Kitchen
February 7, 2013 at 6:14pm     
Interiors International, Inc.
Yes, you can do an island in 12' but you will not have cabinets on one wall. 2' + 3' + 2'6" + 3' + 2" = 12' 6" . 3' is the minimum space you could do between cabinets and island. 2' 6" is as narrow an island can be.
February 7, 2013 at 6:20pm   
dlkula
Here are a few more pics to help with my original question. Thanks everybody!!!!
February 7, 2013 at 6:37pm     
I think I would enlarge the penninsula and move the stove to the wall where the phone jack is. Then, move the double oven to the other end (by the stove). Move the refrigerator to the right and then a floor to ceiling pull out pantry cabinet on the right of the refrigerator so it looks "built-in". Just food for thought. I like a clear penninsula for buffets and a nice size workspace.
February 8, 2013 at 1:17pm   
Need Help with my Kitchen. All help welcome.
I want to keep the appliances stainless steel But don't...
Cabinets need a facelift! All advice is welcome
I just bought my first home and I want to give my cabinets...
Help! Kitchen Renovation Advice Needed
Here are our existing dimensions and one proposed...
LIghting decisions for kitchen renovation - need help/advice
Hi - I'm trying to decide on the lights for the kitchen....
Kitchen renovation process, welcome any ideas!
Here are some pictures of how our kitchen is coming...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Master bedroom walls
I have Black carpet and bedding in my bedroom and need...
Sunroom help
We are moving into a home with an amazing sunroom....
Need curtain /blinds advise on window door combo.
I recently rented an apartment on ground floor. Most...