New Kitchen and saving window
lilliankoz
I am renovating my kitchen in my recently moved into home that is 42 years old. I will need to put my stove under a window. The top of the window is 14 in. from the ceiling, and the bottom is 8 in. above the stove top. Will a down draft stove solve my problem? and if so, is Jenn Air the only one available? Lillian
Da Vinci Remodeling, LLC
Lillian, I would do everything possible to find a different location for the stove.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 11:08AM
onthefence
You may want to check with your local building department to see if this is even legal.

From what I've read, codes vary from state to state. In some states, you simply can NOT do it. in others, the window must be tempered glass and have no movable panes.

While I realize you didn't indicate you were 'building' if you do something that is illegal in your state and have a fire or some such issue, it could cause big problems for you.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 11:12AM
Ironwood Builders
I agree with Da Vinci. Some codes won't let you do what you are thinking about anyway...for a good reason. Unless the window is constructed of non-flammable material and made with tempered glass it would be subject to fire and heat related glass breakage. Unsafe conditions. Can you draw up a floor plan and let the designers here in on the lay out? They can help fix this issue if you do.
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 11:13AM
Dezign Studio Inc
Yes pictures would help too.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 11:31AM
lilliankoz
I very much appreciate all of the feedback. I'll have to go back to the drawing board, as I didn't realize the safety factor in case of fire. I will be posting pics next. Dimesions of the kitchen is 11 ft. 10 in. square. We have 2 windows, and I want to keep both if at all possible. Thanks again. Lillian
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:36PM
onthefence
lillian, where there's a will, there's a way ;-) You may want to post a sketch of your kitchen with windows and doors indicated. There are some amazingly talented people here who I'm sure could suggest ideas.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:41PM
Please help! How can I add to this room to make it seem more feminine
I started out with these chairs that are black framing...
Need help for family room
We recently purchase a new home and need some suggestions...
Horizontal or vertical stripes?
We are moving into a new (new to us) home. The painters...
New Layout?? design help
Trying to make this room design worthy. It is the...
Need help with paint colors
We want to change the colors in our house but can't...