Master Layout -- Stuck in Rut
kellis1977
I can't seem to decide on a layout. The first pic is a view from the entrance. The other shows the view of the opposite side. My issue is that the opposite walls are off center from one another and I don't know how to incorporate window treatment if the bed stays on the window. Armoire is coming out, but I hope to bring in a chair and flat screen TV. Any layout or decor suggestions are welcomed. My preference is simplicity.
Emily Ramsey
You should put the bed on the opposite wall by the hallway and the armoire between the windows. As long as that door would open but It looks to me like it will.
February 8, 2013 at 1:09PM   
kellis1977
Armoire is coming out and TV to be mounted. Was not looking forward to mounting TV between the windows... ;-(
February 8, 2013 at 1:11PM   
lewis + smith
Placing the bed in line with the door is typically considered a last resort. Having the bed out of direct view of the hall is preferrred. Like the original response, I would flip the bed layout. It will block a direct path to the other door, (bathroom?) but that will be ok. Fairly limited options in that room due to closets and doors.
February 8, 2013 at 1:16PM   
lewis + smith
The bed is a bit overscaled for the room. I would consider eliminating the headboard, surround and going to something more simple or at least smaller.
February 8, 2013 at 1:18PM     
kellis1977
Thank you for the suggestions. The room is 15 1/2 L x 12 1/2
W. The bed is a queen along the 15 1/2 feet wide wall. My camera phone makes the room appear crammed. However, based on those measurements, do you still think the bed is too big?
February 8, 2013 at 1:24PM   
Emily Ramsey
You could always mount the tv in the corner. You could put a small chair by the window to the right. Put some art between the windows or make your treatments so fabulous it doesn't need anything.
February 8, 2013 at 1:30PM   
kellis1977
The bed has been moved back. Better?
February 8, 2013 at 1:38PM   
Emily Ramsey
So much better!!
February 8, 2013 at 1:40PM   
lewis + smith
That looks better to me. Headboard is no longer crowding out the windows.
February 8, 2013 at 1:40PM     
Leslie Kreger
I, too, would flip the bed (so it faces the windows.) Mount the TV on an articulating arm where the armoire is currently so you can pull it out from the wall for viewing and then move it back flat against that wall. You could add a dresser below the TV, or look for a narrow piece that might work between the windows.

Good luck~
February 8, 2013 at 1:43PM   
MAGGIE FLOWERS INTERIOR DESIGN LTD
If you prefer to keep the path to the bathroom door open I would suggest making the window treatments appear as one panel instead of two separate ones....have the rod and fabric span between the windows as well... creating a less disjointed look. If you have showy bedding and don't mind keeping the bed made then I don't see an issue with seeing the bed from the doorway....that leaves the other wall free to mount the TV and perhaps instead of a chair use a bench that is longer and narrow for seating...or some other piece of furniture.
February 8, 2013 at 1:49PM   
kellis1977
Thanks everyone! I actually like the idea of placing the TV on the side wall and grounding it with a piece. I'm still torn..with the neutral, light look I am going for, are there any suggestions for the finish of the nightstands and the piece to go under the TV? (White wood, linen, variation of wood)? Also, would you choose panels or no?
February 8, 2013 at 1:53PM   
MAGGIE FLOWERS INTERIOR DESIGN LTD
nightstands?....there would be room if the bed stayed on the window wall...
February 8, 2013 at 1:53PM   
kellis1977
Maggie...that was my original goal. It sounds like it could work....but Im not sure if I am skilled enough to pull it off tastefully. I sure would have liked too though.
February 8, 2013 at 1:57PM   
kellis1977
I will have nightstands. The other piece would be located under where the TV would be mounted (where the armoire is now). This, of course, is pending that the bed stays along the full wall.
February 8, 2013 at 1:59PM   
Stuck in a rut!,,
I have no clue what color to do cabinets and walls....
Terrace furniture layout! Stuck!
I have some kinda mismatched furniture on my veranda...
Need serious color help with master bath!!! I'm stuck
I am renovating my small master bathroom. Given, and...
want to update master bath stuck in the 80's
last redo shower leaks, needs more room would love...
What to do w this front door?
Our door has three square panels and it feels like...
Need advice for hanging shelves
I'm creating a coffee station in our hallway. it is...
Help for color
Hello, I've buy this and not yet sure for the color...
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
Love my table but....
LOVE my table but I am redoing our floors in a house...