Need help for Exterior paint color options - brick and cedar shingles
111mb111
Adding 2nd floor to 1930s brick ranch. Want to paint whole thing. Any color advice. Thinking grays, but what specific colors, manufacturers have worked for you? Paint versus stain on shingles? How do you match paint on brick to stain on shingles? Will add shutters on all windows, so need color there. Also trim color? Open to all colors, although had gray in my mind...
With that charcoal roof, I suggest you want to play on the tones happening there - and you have two excellent options that are classic - going tonally blue-gray, or heading taupe brown-gray.

With blue gray, you use a mid-tone on all the brick below, while I see a dove gray stain on the upper shingles so the beautiful grain tones come thru - they have wonderful opaque stain that allow the cedar to breathe and do its job. Go bright on the front door makes the whole house cheerful - with the blue gray gray paint, dark wedgewood blue-gray trim around your white windows with deeper charcoal shutters would be really classic and beautiful, and here is one vote for a wedgewood blue front door - though you might like a sunny yellow or even teal blue front door. If you select a bright colored door, then trim around white windows should stay in the gray family (probably charcoal for contrast - and that deeper tone should go over new entry gable trim and new posts). Eaves should all go to the dove gray - maybe one shade lighter than the shingles and current white band between brick and cedar should paint out to brick tone rather than provide big contrast.

With taupe gray, you just use lots of different shades on that card - mid-tone taupe for brick, lighter taupe shingles, deeper dark tone on trim around the windows and darkest on the shutters, lightest creamy beige on the eaves, and this lends itself a bit more to a red front door or a forest green front door.

With both approaches, you can stick with black shutters, black front door but be aware that there are as many different shade of black as white - so deal with a blue black for the blue-gray and a brown-black for the brown-gray taupe version. Door numbers over the front door will be classic!

This is a beautiful home - you must be so pleased with your project.
February 8, 2013 at 3:06PM     
kafehausdiva
I say no shutters. The windows don't warrant it.
February 8, 2013 at 3:09PM   
timglidden
Any pictures of the final result would love to see it...?? That looks like it's in the Buckhead area... I spy the sovereign building in the background...
May 27, 2014 at 2:01PM   
111mb111
You're right - Buckhead Forest! Here are before/after pics...
May 28, 2014 at 10:24AM     
DPC Painting & Refinishing
Wow that house looks great! Beautiful transformation..
May 28, 2014 at 10:26AM      Thanked by 111mb111
timglidden
What a great transformation! That's funny -small world I'm in Brookhaven area. Did you use solid stain or paint or a semisolid?

The cedar shake looks like it's one shade lighter than the brick is that correct or is the same color I'm trying to match my cedar shake with my painted brick
May 28, 2014 at 4:09PM      Thanked by 111mb111
111mb111
Thanks. It was the same color, a paint.
May 29, 2014 at 10:16AM   
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
Looks wonderful! The beige brick and wood go along swimmingly and feels like it fits the setting even more appropriately than before!
May 29, 2014 at 10:36AM      Thanked by 111mb111
bluenan
Wow, it's a wonderful transformation when the house looks like it has always been that way.
May 29, 2014 at 10:39AM      Thanked by 111mb111
Luminoso Design
great job! love it! www.luminosodesign.com
September 4, 2014 at 12:08PM      Thanked by 111mb111
Need Help Exterior Paint Cedar Shingles
Can Cedar Shingles be painted? They are from 1960's!...
Need help with an Exterior paint color on cedar shake
Our 1940 cape cod style house needs siding and a fresh...
using upholstery fabric for valances without a cornice board
I have a 60% cotton 40% polyester fabric I found when...
Should I paint both rooms the same color??
We are painting our family room and kitchen, and I'm...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
how woud you place furniture in a 11.5 x 29 ft room.
I have a large window at each end. I have a 5 ft opening...
Foreign Exchange Market and Currency Rates
The fx news market is a big financial market yielding...