Dining Room Debacle
stacynicole27
So I painted this room a safe hue of taupe but now i need to design a dining room. I would like to add shadow box panels on the lower half. And I sold the dining set. Any suggestions on the layout and design of the area? The living room is adjacent and the kitchen is through the arch way. Thanks Houzz!
Jean Tuck
Now thats pretty and you know I would not have chose that color on the top of wall for me , but since you like that maybe in my opinion only, paint the mirror border same color white as lower wall or same color as the scrollwork on the chairs., a dinner scene painted framed similar or family photo enlarged on the opposite wall would really complete that room nicely , but Im just thinking would you include an artificial tall plant in the corner or a real one. Nice room for sure. Id love to see it finished.
February 8, 2013 at 6:07pm   
stacynicole27
I am open to paint the room a different color and your right the chair rail should match the bottom half. Thanks
February 8, 2013 at 6:10pm   
I, too, am not keen on the color selected. I think I would remove (or not) the chair rail and paint the entire wall the same color, though different from what it currently is. I would acquire a nice big vertical painting for the wall on the right and highlight the art with a narrow beam spotlight. On the other wall, I'd stack two art pieces, one above the other and flank them with wall sconces.

I do not know what shadow box panels are so I cannot comment on the advisability of using them on the lower half of the wall. What are they? Perhaps they are moulding pieces that create boxes? If that is what they are, I would only place them in a period style home. I can't determine from your photo exactly what style your home is, but it does not give the impression of being in a period style.
February 8, 2013 at 6:23pm   
tamara682
Just get a nice, long dark wood table with ivory leather chairs. That would look gorgeous. You should also change the light fixture to something more modern. Maybe a big drum shade.
February 8, 2013 at 6:25pm     
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design Remove the chair rail it isn't working in that room. I would paint the dining room walls a darker color something you like (and not safe beige). Then get a heavy wood table and match that with nice upholstered chairs in a bold print. Hang a large painting and BAM! you have a great dining room.
February 8, 2013 at 6:34pm     
Interiors International, Inc.
PS: The chandelier is about 3 times too small for the room. So loose it and buy a bigger one that makes a bold statement.
February 8, 2013 at 6:35pm     
stacynicole27
Thanks for all the feedback I thought the lighting was too small and the chair rail was uneccessary. I like the idea of a dark wood table that seats 6 too. This was my inspiration but the color ended up way off and there is no chair rail.
February 8, 2013 at 6:59pm   
Keitha
Stacy, I love your inspiration picture. I'm thinking that maybe it's not the wall color that's not working as much as the fact that its too shiny!. I think it would be a nice color in a flat acrylic paint and if you wanted to keep the chair rail paint below it the great charcoal gray (also flat acrylic) similar to the draperies in your inspiration photo. Love the light fixture too!
February 8, 2013 at 7:26pm   
carolemcc
Stacy I think the paint and chair rail are fine. If you are looking for a more relaxed look I would put a white table a larger light fixture and black leather chairs. On the wall I I would get a bunch of different frames with no pics just the frames and paint them white and hang a few of those add a large plant in corner on the opposite wall put a large mirror. Now for a more modern look I would have a large round dark wood or black lacker table with high back leather chairs in either red or cream or even go bold. Still have a large mirror but with a polished puter or black frame and the opposite wall I would have 3 frames with black and white photos or prints. Good luck!!!!
February 8, 2013 at 7:31pm   
carolemcc
ooops forgot to add a larger fixture maybe one of those chandelier with a black shade for the second look.
February 8, 2013 at 7:32pm   
What is your favorite white to use in open great room with vaulted ce
Be drown leather, reclaimed wood tables and deep gray...
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Great room is dark - should I paint ceiling?
My great room is large 15 X 20 but dark. My husband...
What companies make grey painted kitchen cabinets?
I'm trying to avoid custom made cabinets. Does anyone...