Ideas for small narrow wet bathroom
lenarufus
We are going to demolish our bathroom & kitchen (in Sydney, Australia) … I’m trying to design a bathroom which will be very narrow, 1.45m wide x 3.90m long x 2.8m high.
We’re used to a 1.38m x 1.90m bathroom so the small size won’t be a problem. We’re also doing this for ourselves not resale.
Any suggestions re design & fittings would be welcome.

The first drawing is a floor plan, there would be a 120mm deep false wall down one side. This would hold the cistern for the wall-hung toilet, and the shower niche, also the fold-up teak shower bench would be attached to the real wall behind the false wall, and the mirrored cabinet would be partly recessed into the false wall. Does this sound structurally possible?

There would be 2 windows which would be in a 50cm wall that juts out from the rest of the building, so the windows would look up and down the garden path. Not sure if these would need to open as we’ll have an exhaust fan vented outside but would like fresh air. Maybe tilt & turn windows. We have aircraft noise so windows will be double glazed.

There won’t be a shower enclosure. The whole room would be waterproofed & tiled with a linear drain. No bath - we haven’t used ours in 10 years.
I’m not sure where the best place for the lights would be and what type. Also, maybe a LED night.

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img268/3193/bas1q.jpg[/IMG]

The other 2 drawings are the long walls. One wall would hold the toilet, off the floor bench & basin, shower seat, flexible shower & mirrored cabinet. I’m having trouble finding a recessed basin that’s not too small but would fit on a 30cm deep bench. I liked the Fowler Eclipse semi-recessed basin but apparently it won’t fit.
Not sure what to use for the bench - was thinking Laminex Aquapanel but the colour range is pretty limited. It would be about 200mm high and 300mm deep. Don’t want caeserstone or corian, & granite or marble too expensive. There will be a couple of open shelves above the door.

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img688/1448/bas2i.jpg[/IMG]

The other wall would have the heated towel rail and mixer tap & ceiling rain-shower head (further away from the wall than in this drawing, about 35cm). I wanted to put a mirror on this wall to make the room look wider but my partner reckons it would look like a hall of mirrors .. any opinions? Also the controller for the Rinnai gas water heater would need to go somewhere, not sure where to put it. And would like a timer for the towel rail, I suppose you can buy these.

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img268/2892/bas3a.jpg[/IMG]

300x300 tiles on the floor - dark colour - and 600x300 horizontal tiles on walls, maybe off-white. Not sure what sort - probably ceramic.
Any ideas appreciated.
dalma darling
It looks like it is very well planned out! I'm looking forward to seeing the bathroom when it's complete. To address your lighting question, I would do canned lighting on dimmers. I think every light should be on dimmers. Since you already know the placement of your shower head and toilet you should be able to plan them out.
As for your question about the mirror on the opposite long wall I would put one but maybe one with a unique frame so it's also like a piece of art. I think widening the narrow room would be a plus.
I am sure other Houzzers will be able to offer their advice but there are my two cents.
March 5, 2013 at 5:58pm   
Small space wet bar ideas
Hi- I need ideas for a small space wet bar, about 24"...
Would you tile all wet areas in small bathroom? Like a marble mosaic.
One wall is vanity with mirror plus toilet in between...
We are considering building a "wet bathroom". Any ideas on this ?
Have a small space and the idea was suggested to me...
Any ideas for decor in a small, narrow hallway?
We don't have any decor in our hallways at all. It...
Rug for bedroom
Hi, I have a 10x10 bedroom with wood floors and...
Do you grow your own veg?
Homegrown carrots, potatoes, tomatoes... There's nothing...
Outlook designs of a single storey house
Pls help with designs of single storey one bedroom...
Painting wood vs Laminate vs Vineer
Hi am doing the Kitchen for my new apartment. Its not...