Help : how to rearrange a small vaulted kitchen with steps ???
Audrey PapuchonFebruary 8, 2013
Hello,
We want to renovate my in-laws’s kitchen and I’m facing 3 “challenges”.

First, the house’s entrance is made through the kitchen, and you access to the rest of the house through a door which is 71 cm higher than the kitchen floor. At the moment, there are 3 huge steps which are taking a lot of space and preventing from using one corner. I was thinking about making some steps along the wall with drawers for storage, but I’m afraid we will lose a lot of space.

Then, the central heating was installed in a very inconvenient place. We are thinking about moving it, and having it covered by a cabinet, but we are not sure of the best place for it.

Finally, the kitchen is vaulted, and I feel there is a potential for something very nice, but I don’t know how to make it stand. The kitchen is quite dark, so I thought about having cream and light wood cabinets. Which colors do you think may work for the paint and the tiles?

I would be glad for any suggestion or advice.

Thanks for your help!
For maximum cabinet space, I would place them along the right and lower portion in the floor plan.
    Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 5:16AM
Audrey Papuchon
Thank you for your answer!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:16PM
Sharon
Some design challenges in this space! I would re-locate the central heating & hide it with cupboards. There appears to be a decent section of wall space where you could incorporate upper wall cupboards & increase storage. Possibly put the central heating in there?
    Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 3:52AM
rinqreation
The corner besides the steps can be used for a cabinet with the central heating, you'll only need to reach it for maintenance. I drew a bar table in there, imagine it to be a (half) folding one with folding chairs, so you can take it down when unused. I'd keep most of it white, with cement tile (or hard stone) flooring to keep the classical cellar-look.

Baer Retreat
Guest Studio Kitchen View This Old House - Low cost, high style kitchen upgrades
    Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 8:54AM
Audrey Papuchon
Thank you all for your suggestions! I love the idea of the folding table. I was affraid we wouldn't be allowed to move the central heating but we've contacted the heating company, and it'll be possible to put it in the corner you've mentioned.
I love the idea of the cement tiles too, but I'm not sure we can find them here.
Time to get down to work!
Thanks again!
    Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 11:17PM
rinqreation
What's your location if I may ask? If you really can't find any, you could get ordinary cement tiles or even wood and stencil them yourself with paint. It might wear faster, but then again vintage colors are cute too. http://www.welke.nl/photo/Tiara/Oude-houten-vloer-beschilderen-Leuk-in-tuinhuis-of-serre-of-op.1357465552
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 1:54AM
Audrey Papuchon
We are in Sibiu, Romania. So far, I've not seen any, but I've not made a deep research. My husband would love the stenciled wood anyway. I guess the next step is to visit the shops to see what's available.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 3:36AM
Audrey Papuchon
Thanks for the links. I've found a shop with a large choice of imported tiles, I guess I'll find something I like there.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 10:01PM
HELP W/ UNFINISHED LIVING ROOM! NEEDS RE-ARRANGING & FINISHING!
We moved into this town house about 5 months ago after...
Cece Mc
How to rearrange my furniture
I just moved in. Not changing furniture as recently...
bevballew
Overall help with pillows, curtains rearranging an awkward layout
We live in a rental townhome and have a very long,...
everydayatlas
Kitchen layout help...how could we rearrange for max utility?
My husband keeps wanting to push out the kitchen, but...
Brooke Strong
Rearrange my living room, design the front windows!
My city rowhome living room leaves difficult layout...
mauckingbird9
Is this 9x12 carpet too big......
Would 8x10 be better for this space - and does it need...
mskdj
Blinds
We just had all of our wood painted white. We have...
jhubley1
Fabuwood cabinets - reviews
We are ready to order new cabinets for kitchen remodel...
reillyg
Direction to run flooring?
We will be installing 12x24 inch tile in our foyer...
lopipopi
need help with colors
my living room is small and it is a mobil home i have...
plentyoffish