Master Bedroom Design and Niche Dilemma
saher107
NOTE: This attached pics are the previous homeowners pic. ALL furniture and paint will be Gone. Starting from scratch.

I am about to purchase a home and have been thinking about what to do with the master.

DILEMMA:
I love having side-tables with mirrors behind them, but it seems the orange niche behind the bed doesn't allow enough room for me to hang anything above side tables.
The windows above headboard don't allow me to hang anything above. I would like to do something creative with the niche need ideas. Or shall I keep it the same color as rest of wall. I like those upholstered/tufted headboards.

at the moment the entire house is beige...i like the neutral grays but unsure if this would even work with the tan carpet I have.
Would love to hear feedback and see pictures as examples.
yfuoco
I think that the bed belongs on the other wall (hopefully it fits). I would a dresser in the niche area centred under the windows. The niche area in an accent colour can be a nice option, perhaps you can pick a colour from your bedding and go two shades darker or lighter in the niche area. It would accent the space without there being such a contrast.
February 9, 2013 at 6:36PM   
camillealbert
Bed should be opposite the door first thing you see when you walk in the room. Paint the niche the same as the other walls. Helps to make the room larger.
February 9, 2013 at 6:53PM   
jjandhk
I like grays and tans together; could you use this google image for some inspration: white walls; dark taupe for the niche; gray tufted headboard; silver mirrored nightstands.....just for some starter ideas....
February 9, 2013 at 7:05PM   
saher107
Thanks for the input. The bed will have to stay put as its the first thing you see when you open door. The other area is too small to fit and left wall had a huge sliding window door. I have always liked the mirror behind lamp on the night stands but it seems like with the nice this won't happen. Do you think wallpaper would add some drama to the niche ? It doesn't seem like I can hang anything on that
February 13, 2013 at 5:04PM   
True, you will sleep better and more securely if you can see the door from the bed. Get one that has a low headboard that won't interfere with the windows. Try swing arm wall lamps and just a floating shelf for the bedside table.
Beverly Hills Family Dwelling
JSID
February 13, 2013 at 5:14PM   
mpoulsom
[houzz=Oak Brook Residence]
[houzz=Bedroom]

maybe fun wallpaper in the niche area........
January 31, 2014 at 11:47AM   
mpoulsom
I think you have plenty of room to put vertically long mirrors behind lamps on the nightstand, but you could also mirror the entire niche. May look strange with the windows there though, not sure?

]
January 31, 2014 at 11:55AM   
saher107
Thanks for all your responses. I never got back to posting the update. Still working on the room, thinking of doing pendant lights instead if lamps.
We painted the room and made the niche a shade darker as well as the ceiling niche.
Need to furnish the other side of the room now. Would love to hear suggestions on how to improve.
February 1, 2014 at 11:08AM     
mpoulsom
it looks beautiful! I'm sorry, I didn't realize this post was from a year ago! lol! I was just a little bit late! I have pendants for my bedroom and I love them! Keeps the whole nightstand top free! :)
February 1, 2014 at 11:14AM        Thanked by saher107
saher107
Nice! That's exactly why I want them too. Any recommendation on where to get them from? Waiting to find the right ones at the right price. I would love to see how your pendants look :)
February 1, 2014 at 11:21AM   
mpoulsom
Mine are actually kind of big drum shade pendants....................the shades are black fabric. Just keep looking until you find some you love that go with your bedroom.
There are a lot of websites like lampslus, overstock.com etc where you may be able to find a good deal. I just happened upon mine at a department store.
February 1, 2014 at 11:28AM   
Whispar Design
Pendants in place of lamps are a great idea. A pair of these with the mercury glass accents would be a nice look for the space. Beautiful duvet by the way!

February 3, 2014 at 4:54PM   
Master bedroom & bath design dilemma
We are remodeling our master bedroom and bath. Should...
Master Bedroom and Ensuite Bathroom Design Dilemma!
The space I am going to convert is a second living...
Master bedroom Design Dilemma!
Help! I need to choose a carpet for my bedroom and...
Master bedroom design dilemma!
I have recently purchased a house and I need help with...
Master bedroom design dilemma
Here's an area I've been working on for a while. It...
I need help choosing colours!
Hello all, Here is the deal. I have this beautiful...
Small bathroom
Have a full bathroom on the main floor which is small...
I need help with my bathroom paint color; the shower has blue tile.
I am a new homeowner and I'm trying to figure out what...
Wood bathroom decor
Hi all. This is a very small bathroom in my new home....