Durability of soapstone for kitchen countertops
vahoff
Choosing countertops for my kitchen remodel and would like a durable soft grey colored stone with fairly uniform patterning. Will soapstone hold up to a creative but somewhat messy cook?
Ironwood Builders
Soapstone has what we call a living finish. Your use (and abuse) matures and changes it. It takes regular oiling to maintain and keep dark...and will lighten as time goes by, getting dark again when oiled.
February 9, 2013 at 6:22pm   
Island Soapstone
Soapstone does not have to be oiled - it can be installed "au naturel" - leaving it to develop it's own patina in a different way. This will give a soft greeny-grey to bluey-grey color. Soapstone is too dense to absorb anything, so you do not have to worry about staining. It will also not etch.

Maintenance is pretty much just wipe-and-go. You just have to relax and enjoy your soapstone and make peace with the fact that it will not look brand new forever.

Soapstone is like blue jeans for your kitchen. The more you wear them, the more comfortable they get!
February 11, 2013 at 8:00pm   
Ranch exterior update?
Any suggestions for updating my 1964 ranch? I have...
Super comfy couch? Where did you buy it?
I'm going to have to furnish my new house soon and...
Window Treatments - yes or no?
I have these 3 French doors in the family room that...
New ideas for built in's, TV and/or fireplace with Matel
We recently bought this house. I need ideas of how...
Which paint color do you like better?
We're remodeling our daughter's bathroom out of necessity....