Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aomastu

Big Logs

aomastu
11 years ago
So many log homes I have seen have only same size logs. did you have to special order such things? Can you share the supplier?
Headwaters Camp Cabin, Big Sky, Montana · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    This a great question…..

The mark of a unique and one-of-a-kind structure is the lack of repetitive elements found in other common homes; for instance your observation of log sizing.

Logs or timbered elements ideally would be selected based upon a number of variables including: structural capacity, esthetic or styling & expression, personal preference, site specificity and budget.

Whenever possible…hire a passionate & motivated Architect to help sort out these choices; you will be amazed with the end result.

To answer your question directly…logs of this type are generally available throughout the west; check online from Wyoming to British Columbia and everywhere in between. Compile a list of available species, lengths and diameter, character, price and approximate cost to drop ship to your destination.

The end result is definitely worth your while…

Best, Dan
  • pocodot
    11 years ago
    Hi Dan, That (above) being said, how do they mange to top the logs uniformly so that the roof lays perfectly flat. Do you have any advice as to this construction process?
    P.S. Love this ranch house in the timber country of Montana. Makes me want to move... but my wife would kill me. :o)
  • PRO
    Southland Log Homes
    9 years ago
    The lack of uniformity achieved with natural logs adds a good deal of charm to this room. Thanks for sharing.