need help for my future kitchen..want between cozy maine'style and moderne...Any ideas??
marieflaca
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Want a kitchen between cottage Maine's style and moderne, any ideas ?? thank you..
Nobody knows where to buy terracotta floor in Montreal?? thank's
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Shawn Lagemann
This solution is all in material choices and color. When I think of Maine cottage, I also think of coastal cottage. For modern I think of simplicity and lack of adornment. For cabinets I'd look at a simple shaker style in a white finish, no crown molding or other details, but you can throw in some glass doors. The simple style of shaker cabinets is both modern and (in white) leans toward the Maine cottage. For countertops, you may want to look at a simple quartz, no movement or splotches just simple and plain. You can punch it up some color here though like a blue to have more of the beachy feel. For a backsplash, simple subway tile installed in a stacked pattern, not the usual running bond (brick pattern) uses traditional elements found in cottage style with a modern twist. Colored grout will make the pattern stand out more, where matching grout will make the pattern less evident. Flooring, I'd look at natural maple hardwoods, lighter woods give off the cottage feel as well as modern. Lighting, look for traditional fixtures with a modern twist. Restoration Hardware, Rejuvenation and others have for example, schoolhouse lighting in polished nickle finish, or more industrial/nautical fixtures also with nickle finishes. You can also add a farm sink (very cottage) but in a simple stainless steel design, couple that with a modern style "bridge faucet" in a chrome finish and you have all the basis covered. Keep the hardware choices very simple.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:00AM