bloomy693
April 25, 2011 in Photo Questions
What is the best way to store silver serveware?
Sarah Miller
I am sure you know silver is easily tarnished during storage. I've found the best way to store silver is in an archival box, a regular box will have acids in the paper or cardboard which cause the silver to tarnish. Also, using silica gel in the box, and/or the closet,helps to keep the humidity down. Again humidity causes tarnishing. Another very important thing to remember is not to wrap the silver in newspaper. Newspaper also has a lot of acid in it and will change the color of the silver and make it much harder to clean. I suggest wrapping it in clean white cotton fabric.
You can buy archival boxes at most art supply stores as well as the Container Store.
0 Likes   April 25, 2011 at 1:10PM
bepsf
Silver flatware is best stored in a silver chest or a drawer of a credenza or buffet that's lined with felt and has dividers for separating & organizing your cutlery.

Any store that sells silver flatware will have a selection of silver chests - typically they're offered by the manufacturer of the silver flatware...
...or you can purchase them online.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=silver+chest&FORM=HURE
0 Likes   April 25, 2011 at 4:16PM
thiscouldwork
I have two heirloom sterlingt silver candelabras. When not in use, I actually wrap them in plastic wrap (Saran wrap) then wrap in clean towels. This prevents any air contact. It seems to work perfectly. Then when needed, just a light buff with a soft cloth does the trick....hope this helps, it is a simple, inexpensive option. Good luck
1 Like   June 13, 2012 at 2:18PM
Suggestions for this brick fireplace surrounded by built-ins
Hey you creative people! Need help for this brick fireplace....
paawani
Converting 2BHK to 3BHK
We are planning to buy a new apartment which is a 2BHK...
akshayapradeep
Bar height or Counter height home bar?
We're remodeling our great room into a game room with...
Jennifer Wood
Redecorate bronze (pale avocado) bathroom
Hello all, I hope I can get ideas from you. We just...
luana_archo