I'm trying to figure our how to paint a sky scene on the ceilings..
Heather J
Hi all! I just bought my first house for my daughter and I, and I'm in a conundrum. I have always wanted to paint a cloud scene on the ceilings, replete with it Changing to a star scene at night (I'm looking at painting rather than having lights put in) and I'm doing this all on my own.

As an artist and designer, I've asked around and I'm still confused. Do you use paint FOR the house? Our do you use regular acrylics? Is it cheaper to pay someone else to do (which is usually 600-1000) or just continue to do it on my own? Scaffolding or no?

Since this is my first house, I'm also concerned about the resale value if I do such a thing in the bedrooms.

There's no pictures yet as there's nothing done yet.

My daughter is 5, so she'd love it!

Thanks in advance!
mpoulsom
Heather J, did you decide to do the sky ceiling??? I am an artist as well and have painted 2 sky ceilings for clients. I used regular house paint for the background and the clouds on one. The other one, was for a VERY small wet bar area between 2 rooms, so we decided it would be best if I painted the sky on thin panels and then installed them later...attached them to the ceiling. I have always used flat paint, no matter what. I may have used a little acrylic on the panel one...can't remember now. It's been a while. I just used a ladder fyi. Scaffolding would have been nice, but that wasn't in the budget. I have never painted stars for a night time sky on a ceiling though. I have seen some glow in the dark paint for concrete that looks like regular white paint in daylight. Not sure if it has to be exposed to the sunlight all day to shine at night???? I have thought about using it for an outside patio of mine, so that it would look really cool at night.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 1:14PM
Heather J
I haven't NOT decided against it, if that makes sense. I've been spending most of my time just picking out colors for the rooms and such. I've also been scoping out the paint selection as well to see if house paint would work for the sky.

Cement paint that glows in the dark? That's AWESOME! I know bleach glows in dark light and you don't see it during daylight hours...I'm going to have to check that out. Thanks a lot!
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 9:00PM
mpoulsom
Heather here are some kind of fun ideas....with glow in the dark paint. the last one I just wanted to share with you because it's very cool. They are called Glow stones that have been mixed into the concrete of a driveway!
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 9:21PM
Heather J
These are FANTASTIC! That would be the exact kind of glow I'd want! Thank you! Do you know the name of the paint?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:33PM