Kitchen Flooring Dilemma - Cabin
asbrough
We are building a cabin and it will have a great room that is wide open from the front door to the back door and is 24'x36'. We would like to have a real or engineered wood floor throughout, but are concerned about having a wood floor in the kitchen. How does a wood floor stand up to mopping, spills, water etc, that a normal kitchen undergoes? Are there any bullet-proof products that are better than others?

Any comments are welcome
Eagledzines
Many people love wood floors in the kitchens. Personally, I do not. If the refrigerator water line leaks or the dishwasher overflows it will stain and make a mess of wood floors. There are engineered wood floors that are virtually waterproof. One is a click-floor, floating floor. There is also a tile that looks like wood now and vinyls that are very realistic.
February 10, 2013 at 8:36PM   
Ironwood Builders
Coming down on the other side...a catastrophic event like a burst water line or a leaking dishwasher is just as bad on a tile floor as a wood floor...you just don't notice it. Tile is not waterproof and sub floor is generally wood. An undetected leak wreaks havoc on framing too. I've installed wood floors in kitchens for my entire career...25 years and counting. I've had one catastrophe. The dishwasher supply froze and burst. The floor in front buckled. We tore up the wood, dried things out for a week, spliced in new and refinished the floor. Small amounts of water on a well finished floor don't do any damage. If you are standing in water...you wipe it up. If the place floods you call the insurance company. Of course, I'm a woodworker...so I'm biased. Maybe if I was a tile setter I'd appreciate a faux wood grained tile. Not sure anything will make me appreciate vinyl.
February 10, 2013 at 9:43PM     
Eagledzines
Ironwood, could you take a look at this post? I think you may be able to help http://www.houzz.com/discussions/345047/Need-help-with-kitchen-layout-redesign
Sorry about intruding on this question. I wasn't sure how else to ask.
February 10, 2013 at 10:12PM   
Kitchen floor dilemma-what kind of floor options do I have
I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I have a dilemma...
kitchen flooring dilemma
Our 1950's house has oak flooring throughout (except...
Kitchen floor dilemma
We are buying this home and the kitchen floor has these...
Gallley Kitchen Floor Dilemma
I am remodeling my small kitchen in my condo and would...
Front of Cabin (Exterior)
We have a cedar-sided lake cabin & love the front porch...
Is it possible to have a comfortably warm basement?
The past two homes I've lived in, the basement was...
Cannot find a Sherwin Williams gray that looks gray.
I am trying to paint my home a light gray and have...
What do you think of folding screens in the living room?
What do you think of using folding screens in the living...
need help with color for living room
my couches are dark brown furniture is also dark ...