Kitchen Flooring Dilemma - Cabin
asbrough
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are building a cabin and it will have a great room that is wide open from the front door to the back door and is 24'x36'. We would like to have a real or engineered wood floor throughout, but are concerned about having a wood floor in the kitchen. How does a wood floor stand up to mopping, spills, water etc, that a normal kitchen undergoes? Are there any bullet-proof products that are better than others?

Any comments are welcome
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Eagledzines
Many people love wood floors in the kitchens. Personally, I do not. If the refrigerator water line leaks or the dishwasher overflows it will stain and make a mess of wood floors. There are engineered wood floors that are virtually waterproof. One is a click-floor, floating floor. There is also a tile that looks like wood now and vinyls that are very realistic.
February 10, 2013 at 8:36PM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Coming down on the other side...a catastrophic event like a burst water line or a leaking dishwasher is just as bad on a tile floor as a wood floor...you just don't notice it. Tile is not waterproof and sub floor is generally wood. An undetected leak wreaks havoc on framing too. I've installed wood floors in kitchens for my entire career...25 years and counting. I've had one catastrophe. The dishwasher supply froze and burst. The floor in front buckled. We tore up the wood, dried things out for a week, spliced in new and refinished the floor. Small amounts of water on a well finished floor don't do any damage. If you are standing in water...you wipe it up. If the place floods you call the insurance company. Of course, I'm a woodworker...so I'm biased. Maybe if I was a tile setter I'd appreciate a faux wood grained tile. Not sure anything will make me appreciate vinyl.
February 10, 2013 at 9:43PM     
PRO
Eagledzines
Ironwood, could you take a look at this post? I think you may be able to help http://www.houzz.com/discussions/345047/Need-help-with-kitchen-layout-redesign
Sorry about intruding on this question. I wasn't sure how else to ask.
February 10, 2013 at 10:12PM