Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gortachoirce

Ghost coating?

Coco Nuts
11 years ago
Is ghost coating just re spraying with a different wood stain colour or is it paint.If,paint, what kind of paint?(matt, satin or gloss)
Dining Room ideas · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Robeson Design
    11 years ago
    Ghost coat is a lacquer glaze changing the overall color without loosing the wood grain intrinsic in the piece itself.
  • penelope62
    10 years ago
    How is ghost coat done. I have the exact same dining room and was thinking of replacing until I saw this! Love it. Is it a DIY project or does it have to be professionally done?
  • thiscouldwork
    9 years ago
    Penelope, I recently had my entire d room set "ghost" painted. It was aprox 1/2 price of totally refinishing to raw wood, then spraying layers of paint and varnish coatings. However, I wish I had done the "real deal". Ghost painting is not as tough as an origional factory furniture paint job. Also, my biggest complaint is fingerprints. Wow, the slightest touch and the oils from finger prints make smudges. It is really easy to clean, just warm soapy water, and dry right away. But, it isnt as tough as the origiional paint job. But, I love how the grain just shows thru slightly. Mine is an ebony over a parquet pattern. Stunning, and very current. I would only suggest to do this on higher end furniture that you are tired of, and still like, just wanting a different stain colour. Good luck.