Help remodeling kitchen
ahelton142
I want to keep floors and cabinets like they are? What can I do to lighten my kitchen ?
abbshel
Well, from the pic it looks pretty light already. If you are looking for a "cleaner" look I would lose the wallpaper and paint your walls a nice light color depending on what you have going on color wise in your home.

Then, I would change out your cab pulls to brushed nickel for a more refined look. Maybe hang a shade in the window instead of the valance.
February 10, 2013 at 7:07pm   
ahelton142
The wallpaper will be the first thing to go when we move in. I thought I might take a couple cabinets down. Maybe one on each side of window and I want to hang pendant lights above the sink. I've picked out a color for the walls grey beige by Olympic. The room next to it is a breakfast room. What do you think about knocking those 2 small walls out and opening it up some? I just wonder how much trouble I will have finding parquet to match where the walls are removed?
February 10, 2013 at 7:15pm   
abbshel
I'm sure someone will come along here that can advise you better than me about cabinet and wall removal, but it would be nice to open it all up a little more.

As far as the flooring, if you needed to buy additional parquet you might be able to sand what you have and then restrain it all to match.

Are you keeping the countertops? I'm a little worried that gray paint with the current wood color and counter might look a little dreary. I would lean more towards a bluer gray.
February 10, 2013 at 7:24pm   
ahelton142
It's more beige than grey and the countertops are going for sure!
February 10, 2013 at 7:26pm   
ahelton142
Oh I have lots of parquet lol it's also in the den and breakfast room lol I'm afraid it might not be worth the trouble lol
February 10, 2013 at 7:29pm   
ahelton142
This is color I chose for walls
February 10, 2013 at 7:34pm   
janishill
Before even considering removing walls talk to an architect, They could be load bearing.

Remove wall paper, paint walls, remove upper cabinet doors, add wall paper or paint inside backs of cabinets that have doors removed, new cabinet hardware on bottom cabinets, replace appliances, add pendant lights, add micro over stove.

That should just about do it.
February 10, 2013 at 7:41pm   
ahelton142
I've already checked these are not load bearing walls. I don't mean to sound stupid but what is micro?
February 10, 2013 at 7:44pm   
ahelton142
I'm planning to get stainless appliances also
February 10, 2013 at 7:45pm   
janishill
Sorry....microwave above stove.
February 10, 2013 at 7:45pm   
ahelton142
Duh !!! Now I feel stupid lol
February 10, 2013 at 7:46pm   
want2bhome
Microwave oven.
February 10, 2013 at 7:47pm   
janishill
Don't! Your mind was somewhere else. :-)
February 10, 2013 at 7:47pm   
ahelton142
My mind has been lots if places this weekend . I've been packing for two days and trying to figure out where to start when we get moved in!!
February 10, 2013 at 7:49pm   
Tyler J. Morrison
Ahh, a wide galley-like kitchen! The first question is, do you like a galley kitchen or an open concept-like kitchen?

Personally, I like open space, so taking out those walls would be a given for me. My next question is, what is that room there - dining room, living room, etc.?

So far, it sounds like you are wanting to do a complete kitchen rehab - new countertops, appliances, paint, knocking down walls, etc. Honestly, I would just spend the extra money and do it correctly if that is the case. If you'd like to stay on a budget, leave the walls, buy new appliances, replace cabinet hardware, paint cabinets (Maybe), buy a backsplash (Nothing crazy) and paint the walls.

Honestly, it's hard to tell over the internet. If you are close to Philadelphia and would like a professional opinion, give me a call.
http://Philly-Sales.com
February 10, 2013 at 7:58pm   
ahelton142
I didn't like the galley kitchen at all when I first saw this home. We just signed the contracts and have not moved in yet. But once I found houzz I found some really neat pics of things I could do and love it. The room next door just happens to be a 12x14 breakfast room with big double windows to the floor on the right side. Did I mention it's on a hill with beautiful rolling hills all the way around and a gorgeous view out that double window!
February 10, 2013 at 8:03pm   
ahelton142
I'm way away from Philadelphia I'm in middle tennessee
February 10, 2013 at 8:04pm   
ahelton142
This is the breakfast room . I know !!! Wallpaper going lol
February 10, 2013 at 8:10pm   
Need help with kitchen remodel and attaching great room remodel
Northwest rustic riverside cabin/house: now full time...
Kitchen remodel -- Need help updating small dark kitchen
Need help updating small U-shaped kitchen. We're willing...
1918 farmhouse kitchen remodel-can't decide on kitchen sink- help!
Sorry I tried to attach pictures but it is not working...
Need help on Kitchen and Bathroom remodel HELP PLEASE
Please help me with my kitchen and bathroom. In the...
Help!!! We're remodeling and need help with living room/kitchen
We're on a budget :( Everything cost more than we planned...
Help with decorating ideas
We have recently moved in and need to decorate our...
Pls Help Pick Paint Colors for Furniture Makeovers
My family room is at the end of a long room with the...
Please help
What color cabinet hardware should I get? My cabinets...
Buyer's remorse - fussy living room
I put this living room together from scratch over the...
POLL: Tiny Houses - Yes or No?
Do you see tiny houses and long to pitch your belongings...