Ceiling fan decision
doriscolemanjones
February 10, 2013
Want to hang ceiling fan in my family room that is open to my kitchen and breakfast nook. My floor is a brown oak and my ceilings are off white. My kitchen cabinets are white. Want to buy a contemporary fan with walnut blades but am concerned about the dark fan being an eyesore against the off white ceiling and wondering if the walnut blades will go with the brown oak floor. My color scheme is neutral with pops of darker neutrals. Design is contemporary.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
My vote would be white blades. The fan is not a decorative detail by any means, so Iopt to have it blend with the ceiling in most cases. Exceptions would be tropical settings with high ceiligns, in which case it does add to the decor with darker blades.
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 6:58AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
If your design is contempary and your fixtures are in chrome or nickel why not consider using a "metal" blade?
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 7:10AM
doriscolemanjones
My ceilings are 9' tall. I live in the hot south so a ceiling fan is a necessity. Since the ceilings are off white, I think a white fan might stand out too much. My fixtures are not chrome or nickel. I like the contemporary 3-blade hugger fans. I am currently considering a bronze base with walnut blades. My other decision I need to make is: putting a vintage gun metal pendant over my breakfast nook that faces the family room and the contemporary fan. I like the mix of cottage and contemporary. Do you guys think this will work? I will post pictures of the fan and pendant asap.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 7:38PM
doriscolemanjones
I have white cabinets and am getting granite countertops I like the giallo ornamental color because I love cream, taupe and grey but I'm not sure if it will look good with the white cabinets. If I could hire a designer, I would; but my budget will not allow that, so I am on my own. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 7:47PM
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
I would go with an all white ceiling fan mounted close to ceiling WITHOUT lights attached to fan.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 8:01PM