bathroom reno ideas
jodifinaFebruary 11, 2013
I have a very dated bathroom which we are going to renovate down to studs but not sure what to do for tile on floor, vanity style etc. Layout of bathroom unfortunately has to stay same. The closet next to vanity is actually very good storage, the shower is across from toilet in "separate" room and is very small with a pitched ceiling. door frame going into toilet/shower area is structural and can not be removed or widened. Want to go light as bathroom although has window is not very bright. Was thinking subway tiles in shower with a look of carera marble but porcelain. Other ideas? Wall color? Vanity? My style is traditional as opposed to modern. LIke a clean look. Like elegant but not "foo-fy". Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
This is indeed a small space. If I understand correctly - you have a shower and a toilet opposite each other. Then the fixed door frame that cannot be removed. Then a cupboard - but what is opposite it? Then the vanity unit - and what is opposite it?
Without seeing that, I could suggest you swap the shower placement with a sink unit that has a mirror pharmacy unit on top and draws below. (your plumbing for the shower and the sink are basically the same pipes at different heights). Then you could have a bigger shower space.
This is a shot in the dark but hopefully it gets creative juices going!
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 7:00AM
hazeldoodle
I'm all for reusing what you already have and easy updating. I'd suggest the floating vinyl planks that look like wood for the floor. Paintable bead-board wallpaper wainscoting on the walls and paining your vanity white with the cabinet transformations kit. I'd prime and paint over the wall paper above the wainscoting a soothing color of your choice. If you want to change the counter top then using one of those kits as well, or if you don't like the colors, you could remove the sink and tile it. Since it's such a small area you could use a really high end tile which would look great. You could replace the cabinet knobs with vintage glass ones. Removing the large mirror and getting a small, maybe oval framed one would add vintage character. Wall scone lighting on either side of that looks great. For a larger mirror, put a full length one on the back of your door or somewhere else.

Good luck and post your after pictures!
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 7:08AM
PRO
Franks Home Maintenance
Look at my wall, we constantly deal with small baths and have done quite well on making them appear big and bright.
Since you are going too the studs, you can do most anything you want. You could glass block the window and make it part of the shower, you could kill the closet and put in a cabinet that serves the same purpose, but saves TONS of room, e.t.c......
Annnnnd, what ever you do, no drywall in the shower area at all, ever. Greenboard the rest.
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 7:10AM
hazeldoodle
One more thing. The water closet's window blinds look nice but for a more traditional look you could put shutters or a cafe curtain on the bottom have and make the top half look like stained glass. Look here http://www.wallpops.com/stained-glass.aspx?page=3&size=12 I'm planning on using these in my own bathroom someday. If they look as good as the pictures, they'll be awesome!
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 7:11AM