LED lighting question
Regina RogowskyjFebruary 11, 2013
Hello,
We are remodeling our kitchen (contemporary stile). I would like to install LED light strips under the counters for task lighting and as well above the cabinets. I ordered double LED lights (5 m 600 lights) in cool white for undercabinet.

Should I get cool white for above as well or would look warm white better? Can I mix them? Should I get 300 lights for above? We also have 4 LED lights in the ceiling (sheet rock ceiling). The room is 12x12. Dark tile floor, natural maple cabinets, tile backsplash.

Thank you!
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I think you should stick with the same color lights throughout. Also how you position the lights can affect the reflection you get in the counter top. The LED lights are sometimes an especially bright light source and you can see them in the reflection in the counter often. Tilting the direction of the light fixture slightly can affect the position of this reflection on the counter or back splash.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 2:08PM
I second kaplan's comments
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 3:34PM
Curb Appeal Renovations
Agreed. However, if you only have 4 LED lights in a 12x12 kitchen and that is your only light, you won't have enough light. That's a big kitchen for only 4 lights. Ideally you should have a can light, whatever type, between the cabinet and edge of the counter so it shines directly on your work surface and doesn't cast shadows.
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 3:41PM
Regina Rogowskyj
We have a window & a pendant over the table. The LED's are can lights but we already put them in bedore the cabinets are installed.
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 3:49PM
Curb Appeal Renovations
Can you add more? Are they in the center of your kitchen? Do you have an island? Can you post a floorplan of your kitchen with the placement of the can lights/cabinets?
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 3:59PM
Trouble Free Electric
I know you already purchased LED under cabinet lights, but have you looked at DiodeLED's K-RANGE line? They are dimmable and you can adjust them throughout the light scale. I also agree with curb appeal, 4 is not enough, we would have put at least 6 in to start with. Lighting can make a good project into a great project if done correctly.
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 4:49PM
Regina Rogowskyj
It looks bright enough. They are in a sqare about 40 inches from the walls.
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 5:30PM
Regina Rogowskyj
Here is the sealing (not dine yet)
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 5:37PM
Regina Rogowskyj
.
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 5:39PM
Interiors International, Inc.
same color
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 5:40PM
Regina Rogowskyj
New floorplan
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 5:41PM
Regina Rogowskyj
Dots are where the lights are
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 5:42PM
donnag631
Add more can lights, you won't regret it. You may regret not adding them.
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 5:45PM
Regina Rogowskyj
These are the can lights
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 5:53PM
Curb Appeal Renovations
I'm assuming your hood has lights? Do you have a light over the sink? We always over light the kitchens we do and put the lights on dimmers. This way you can always turn them down if too bright. However, not once has a client complained that they have too much light. I'm not at my PC, but tomorrow I'll mark up your floor plan and show you where I would have placed can lights.

One last question...are you using 6, 5, or 4" cans?
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 6:02PM
Regina Rogowskyj
6" - please see last picture for specifics. We are planning to get a microwave vent with lights and to put lights over sink. Also a pendant above dining table
    Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 6:33PM
Curb Appeal Renovations
Ok...on my phone, the picture didn't pull up, it wasn't until I was at my pc that the picture pulled up...so sorry!

On your floorplan it says gas range, but you speak of a microhood...just want to make sure that the microhood is as wide as the range. We've seen them where the microhood is 30" and the range is 36" and the cabinets have been burned/warped. Also, need to make sure that your microhood has the required cfm's to handle the btu's of your range. In the spec's for your range it should say what it recommends. I'm hoping that you're venting your microhood outside and it is not recirculating? With the heat the gas range is putting off you'll definitely need that as well, not just for the grease/fumes/odors.

Back to the lights. In the plan that I've attached, sorry it is so rough, but I've put in the red circles where the can lights should be placed. Where you have them know is where we see them placed in the typical "builder" location...in a square. That's what we typically tear out and redo when we remodel. Optimal placement is directly over the work surface where you will be working so you don't have any shadows. As we age, that is the chief complaint, not enough light.

You should be able to "pop" some remodel cans into your ceiling and connect the electrical to your existing electrical without too much trouble. Again, just put them on a dimmer, then you can turn them down if it is too much light. I promise, you won't regret it. I realize you've spent a lot of money on the LED cans...
    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 1:22PM
Regina Rogowskyj
Thanks for your feedback! I should have asked before we put the lights in, now it is too late to change :( We would have to redo the whole ceiling. I hope that with the undercabinet light it will be ok. We did not buy the new range yet or the microwave vent but the plan is to vent to the outside. Do you have any suggestions? We are planning on stainless steel. Current range is white and we threw out the old hood already. We still have to finish ceiling, walls, electric & level & tile floor. Cabinets arrived already today! Lots to do...
    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 4:43PM
Curb Appeal Renovations
Seriously...you wouldn't have to redo the whole ceiling...remodel cans can be popped in...but if that's too big a job, I understand.

On the range...do you have it yet? If so, you can pull up the specs online. They would tell you what cfm the hood would have to have. And there are 36" microhoods. If we can, we really try and put the microwave someplace other than over the cooktop/range. For safety sake, it just isn't the best place. For kids, adults...everyone.

Tell me what you have and lets go from there...
1 Like    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 5:00PM
Regina Rogowskyj
The range space is only 30". What are the safety concerns with having the microwave over range? I see this in a lot of new kitchens.
    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 5:29PM
Curb Appeal Renovations
okay...since the range is 30", you are good with a microhood at 30".

imagine you have the range going, if I'm not mistake, it is gas. And you or someone else is taking something out of the mw. Since it is over the range, they can catch on fire, burn themselves...

I realize that you see it a great deal, it just isn't an optimal design. Even NKBA design guidelines don't recommend this...
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 8:10AM
Cost of LED lighting vs traditional lighting
What is the cost of LED lighting in new construction...
loreleibill
Solar LED Paver Accent Lighting Project!
Take a look at some of our latest project photos! Send...
LEDpavers
LED Lighting questions...
The counter top I am picking for my new kitchen has...
twilightblue
want wet location led fixtures. like the look of these lights
We want to put led fixtures in our shower, 120v direct...
hosro59
Help with Exterior Makeover
I want a makeover on the exterior. I don't like the...
skresse
Is this bad idea?
I'm crazy about this sink. I Have the sink it's in...
suzyq
bedside tables
How tall should bedside tables be, in proportion to...
yelloweasterbunny
Should the media console be on the rug?
HELP! We just bought a new rug, a 9*12, and I'm wondering...
Michelle Williams
What does my Living Room need? Is it done?
I've worked hard to revamp my living room. Can you...
ljdavidov