Need Help with Kitchen!
jenm1678
My utility room (washer, dryer etc.) is in the south facing side of my house. The kitchen is the room next to it and is very dark because the utility room is taking all the light. I want to break down the wall and incorporate the utlities into the kitchen. Havent seen any ideas for this, so advice welcome as it would need to be fully integrated
I think the first thing you need to do is make sure the wall you want to knock down isn't load bearing. And if you go ahead with this plan, make sure you have enough of the current flooring to install into the new area.

It might be easier, and better for resale, to install a skylight in the kitchen, or an extra wide window. I personally would not be interested in purchasing a home with the laundry in the kitchen.
February 12, 2013 at 3:38am   
Agreed with checking to see whether you can take the wall down first. I would think most people don't want to see or hear the washer / dryer working when they are in the kitchen ? so that's why you don't see this setup very often.
February 12, 2013 at 8:25am   
jenm1678
Hi, the wall isn't load bearing.. there is an attic over the utility room that we were going to put skylights into to brighten up the kitchen but I understand where you are coming from with the washer/dryer in the kitchen which is why we are looking for ideas on how to neatly integrate them. At the moment there is a room dedicated to them that has the sunniest aspect of the entire house!
February 12, 2013 at 8:34am   
ah, yes, everyone should have a sunny laundry room and a dark kitchen, right? In that case, if you decide to go ahead with it, I would get front loading machines and have them built in with cabinet doors to hide them. You will need to vent the dryer and run drainage lines for the washer, which I doubt will be inexpensive. But that's how I'd do it, make them look built-in. A second option would be a stackable pair, with an armoire or pantry type set up.
February 12, 2013 at 8:54am     
Liza Jane Interiors
One of the easiest solutions to your problem would be to remove the old door leading into the laundry room and adding a glass door - I would recommend a frosted glass which would "hide" what is behind the door but allow light to enter. Not sure what your style is but I have included a photo of a sample glass door. Could be really interesting
February 12, 2013 at 8:59am   
onthefence
If you look at the kitchens in browse rooms area and narrow the filters to washer dryer there are quite a few kitchens with laundry included. Some are behind cabinetry, some are built in with the other appliances. As olldbobbi mentions, if you're going to need to move either the washer or dryer there's going to be some expense involved.
February 12, 2013 at 9:03am     
Susan Binder
The undercounter or stacked machines behind cabinetry sounds great. With the machines under the counter you create a generous work surface above for folding clean laundry or for kitchen tasks. The advantage of a sunny exposure for laundry is that you can more easily see potential stains to be treated and little rips to be mended. My washer and dryer are in my kitchen area. The noise is not so noticeable in the kitchen as it is in the room that backs onto the laundry machines. Coordinating the timing of the wash and dry helps reduce the noise intrusion while that other room is being used.
February 12, 2013 at 9:07am     
I think they're probably no more noisy than a dishwasher?? My dishwasher could wake the dead :))
February 12, 2013 at 9:13am   
jenm1678
Thanks everyone for the comments. It's not ideal moving the washer/dryer in into the kitchen but I don't think I can bear walking from a dark kitchen into a sunny laundry room any longer. I like some of the pics I saw in the browse rooms section, great for ideas. I will definately hide them behind cabinetry. We are completely redoing the kitchen so will factor expenses for moving utilities into the overall budget. love this site, thanks for all the help! :)
February 12, 2013 at 9:14am     
Ok, well if you're redoing the kitchen anyway, I would put the dishwasher to one side of the sink and the washing machine to the other, since all your plumbing/drains will be in place. Don't forget us when you're done! We never get to see after pics!
February 12, 2013 at 9:20am   
Need help with kitchen. Really need help!
We have partially renovated our condo. The kitchen...
Need help with kitchen! A lot of wood colors in this kitchen, too much.
My kitchen is a nice kitchen with an excellent layout....
Exterior house colours
Our home's locale experiences green summers and white...
taking off popcorn ceiling
Have throughout house - best way to get rid of it
Describe this kitchen in 1 word
Straight - line layout to maximize space Exotic wood...
I want to know review regarding camel bone furniture for home.
Can I use camel bone sofa set & dining table for home?...