New kitchen floor
cokemar
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Would like a new floor plan for kitchen. I don't like having to walk thru the work triangle when we enter the house (door at top right of picture). Also would like suggestions on honey oak cupboards(installed 20yrs ago): remove, paint, stain?
First photo is floor plan, second is actual.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lefty47
HI -- Did you mean to post another photo ? More info is needed - like what is around where the upper right door is to see if there is another way to move that doorway etc. Also not understanding the notation about that green triangle spot on the peninsula .
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:25AM
PRO
Eagledzines
Other information needed would be 1) which door is the door you enter the house by? Is it by the stove? Please confirm if it is. 2) a sketch with dimensions of the surrounding rooms to see where and if the doors or kitchen could be moved and how the kitchen might be replanned. 3) Are the cabinets solid wood or particle board? What shape are they in? Are the hinges loose? Are the drawer bottoms sound or are they falling out or sagging. Is the finish chipping or wearing off?
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:38AM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Not enough information. Can you do a plain floor plan, not a perspective, and show the ancillary rooms. Need to know how this fits into the entire plan. Is their a dining room to the left? A family room at the bottom.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:51AM
PRO
Dytecture
Looks like the kitchen is opened to a family or breakfast room. Can't really tell.

A more radical approach would be to switch the kitchen so one enters into the breakfast / sitting area instead of through the working triangle as you mentioned.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 8:02AM
PRO
JWinteriors
Don't do that crazy diagonal thing...closes up your space even more. Take out the peninsula and give yourself a beautiful island. Wood floor guy will be able to splice in new pieces to fix floor ...add pendant lights over island. You may now add uppers and lowers all the way to sliding door. Definitely put your fridge in a cabinet for a cleaner look. Remove wall between dining room and kitchen up to the left side of stove.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 8:11AM
cokemar
Thanks for looking at my post. The house is a bungalow. Fully finished basement with large family room. Kitchen has family room area with fireplace. We use the kitchen entrance to the house exclusively because the door from the garage is there. Floor plan is now included. Also a photo looking towards the entrance we use.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:35AM
cokemar
Eagled zones asked about condition of cabinets. They are particle board boxes with solid wood doors. All are in great condition. Finishes on doors are still perfect.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:41AM
PRO
JWinteriors
Having now seen the floor plan...move fridge to left side of sliding door...still doing the island. Remove wall between dining room and kitchen. What i thought was your dining room was your mud room. This is why floor plans are great. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:50AM
cokemar
Is this what you were thinking JWinteriors?
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:51AM
PRO
Eagledzines
Here is an idea. I would suggest going with a single bowl sink to give you more counter space. The dishwasher could go either in the island or beside the sink. Alternatively, you could put a single or double bowl sink in the island, along with the dishwasher.

There could also be additional kitchen storage in the hutch on the dining room wall. Alternatively, the hutch area could be a pantry.

The door swing in the adjoining entrance should be reversed.

Reuse cabinets that you can. Augment with new cabinets as needed. If you can't match finishes, consider painting so that cabinets all match.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 3:56PM