new house build'what is the ideal kichen?
Cheryl Hannebauer
revamping the plan - again: size 16x16 with large windows on the north side & west side-opens into dining room ( there is a door/entry door just beyond along west wall ) & foyer, on the right side (this is all facing the kitchen). Construction is ICF blocks with timber frame, kitchen ceiling 9 ft ,with island (right now sink is in island/with Dishwasher), cook top in the left back corner,discussion is where to place the wall oven ,fridge; A 5x5 pantry to go in the right back corner OR reshuffle the appliances all again... when facing the kitchen area; the whole right side is open to the foyer; there is open dinning just in front of kitchen along with side door into mudroom & another large window.....Island size has not been set yet/ either. Any suggestions and advice please.
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Please post a floor plan noting windows, doors, openings - or other items that could affect the flow of the room and placement of items.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:00AM
Agreed, a floor plan is a must for space planning.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:03AM
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
Also, include some specifics on your needs. Are you a two person household, or do you have children(s), ages, do you entertain company often, do you love to cook or prefer "nuking" supper? The more details you provide, the more logical the answers you receive will be.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:07AM
Cheryl Hannebauer
trying to get hubby to do up a sketch/plan for me>>which he is now working on..
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:15AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You can do a hand drawn plan - anything just so it communicates to everyone and has the measurements on it.
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 2:57PM
Cheryl Hannebauer
Here is the attached sketch of the new kitchen;cant wait to see what everyone suggests> for a 2 person household/ 2 grown sons who visit with their girfreinds; likes to entertain, Cooking over Nuking; a coffee/ bar needs to be somewhere, along with a small prep sink.. any & all suggestions greatly appreicaited.Tyvm
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 3:14PM
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
First thing I see is I would suggest moving the cooktop from the corner to one side or the other on wall, or to the island. The area behind the cooktop is either going to collect clutter, or become a burn hazard when reaching over to grab something placed behind. If the corner area has to stay as drawn, I would place the sink in that corner or (god and interior decorators forgive me) an appliance garage, and as I said before cooktop in other placement, must take into consideration the work triangle. I would place the pantry in the N.E. corner, will anchor that space and free up the sight line to dining area. If you want to maximize storage space in kitchen move door the 2' down and incorporate a penisula/breakfast bar seating are with storage underneath, perhaps 2-sided glass door upper storage to display china or personal treasures. Just my initial thoughts, I'm sure you will get other great advise along the way, hope this helps your planning.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 3:29PM
Cheryl Hannebauer
have posted a drawing ......
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:21AM
Wendy Stout
I also have a 16x16 kitchen that is in the stud stage without plumbing or electrical. I have a door to the living room where you have your pantry and the entire right side is the dining room. I have the fridge almost where where you do. I moved it a little more to the top of the page with space on its left side for a future fridge which may be a different size. I put the stove in the middle of the top wall. I put in a 2 level island. The lower level is an "L" shape with the longer section facing the stove and has the sink. The sink is not across from the stove. It means you can stand at either the sink or stove and not bump into another person who is there working. The short end of the "L" is across from the fridge. It houses the "drink area." I made an upper level to the island by mirror imaging the "L" . It has a raised dishwasher in the short end of the "L" next to the sink. This raised area hides the sink from the dining room. There are barstools on the long side of the upper island.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 9:43AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I can't come up with a way to verbally say it, so I did very rough sketch. Can be improved upon, but my initial thoughts. Hope this file attaches correctly.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:43AM
Wendy Stout
Deborah, I cannot read anything except "sink!" What did you write in the island? On the left side what is written starting at the top?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 4:45PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Starting at bottom left corner:

Pantry -a cabinet pantry at 24" deep
Window
Cooktop with hood
Window
Trash/Recycle
Main sink
Dishwasher
Corner unit - the upper would be a unit that sits down onto the countertop with the coffee bar
Oven cabinet
Frig

Island would be cabinetry with prep sink. There is seating on end toward dining room and open section toward foyer
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:17PM
Cheryl Hannebauer
TYSM Deborah, it is wonderful as we have been playing with the layout for the past 2 weeks,will show this to hubby when he gets home...a fresh pair of eyes does wonders~
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:36PM
Cheryl Hannebauer
hummm what about lighting placement; pots & pendants I would guess?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:55AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I could never afford this, but this is a great pantry unit. [houzz=Showroom Display]

This is the closest thing i can find to what the coffee bar would like in the far right corner next to the frig and ovens. Gives you an idea of how that corner would look. [houzz=Ultimate Farmhouse Kitchen]
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:10AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Yes, recessed lighting and pendants. Also undercabinet lighting.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:11AM
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
Deborah & Cheryl, you might prefer a smaller pantry-even 12" wide as buffer to the wall & then fridge beside as much more accessible to your prep sink rather than zipping around the island all the time. then do a small pantry by ovens.

The pantries can divide up your supplies. snacks versus baking supplies etc. Its a large kitchen so plenty of storage either way.

That will also give you more room left of oven, so not so cramped to the corner. Perhaps another 6-9" and then you can put in a blind corner unit and wider storage on right of sink.

Pendants over your island or a big pretty glamorous chandelier. Pots around perimeter on dimmers & lights under the uppers. There are some very low profile LED lights that are more available and last for years. Very low wattage so can run many.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 10:13AM
Wendy Stout
Outlets - my daughter had the outlets under the upper cupboards which left a smooth backsplash. I think that is a great idea.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:51AM
Cheryl Hannebauer
The house will be built on one of the southern Gulf Island in BC-Canada, that is why the pantry is big..DB-I had bookmarked that exact pantry as well; & I do like the idea of having a couple of smaller veritical pullouts over by the wall over.. and for outlets& under cabinet lights under the uppers- will have to see how that works out as I don't have a lot of uppers in the plan but will make sure to dimmer lights under the one we do put in/up> I believe I will have a popup or two placed into the island top.. It is wonderful to get all this help & advice; makes the task a lot easier. the house is an ICF house with a timber frame upper ,kitchen, bedrooms , bath area will have 9ft ceilings and foyer and great room, dinning room will have 10 ft ceilings. will post more as the plan progresses.
Hubby is not in the house contracting biz, but is a Mechanical Engineer who has oversaw mutli commercial projects>> so he is "handy" and can do a lot , likes to think "outside" of the box for niffty ideas.. so bring any & all on :) TYSM
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 11:49AM
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
Cheryl, I've worked often with an ICF builder here in Victoria. As a kitchen & bath designer with Urbana I would love you help you achieve your dream kitchen. We have such a variety of features that you are sure to appreciate. You'll see my contact information at www.urbanakitchens.ca
Perhaps you've seen some of our projects featured in the homes section of the paper & some magazines as well. Feel free to give me a call.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 10:39PM
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
a recent project with "coffee- appliance storage"
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 10:44PM
Getting ready to build..What color hue will stand the test of time?
I want to coordinate my tile, wood flooring, cabinets...
gtjeck22
We are building a new house and I need help with what to put around the fireplace.
We are building a new house and need help with what...
jackiefluke
Building a new house, what floor should I go, I want neutral colours
I am building a new house and want to keep the floor...
Nicky Avery
Building a new house, what is the most popular kitchen cabinet color?
We are torn between white cabinets or light maple for...
vickieroybarton
Window treatment advice
Thoughts on these window treatments? Do they work...
lindsaymcc
Have 14 foot ceilings in our condo with tall windows and little window
do I put drapes way above both windows to keep the...
liuzzi
walls and trim in den
what is your opinion of White Benjamin Moore for walls...
ctrocco
Redo of master bath. Thinking about a steam shower. Any ideas?
I may be extending the bathroom. What is a good size...
Arlene Geraghty
What to do with off center fireplace, tv and furniture placement.
My 1954 ranchelo living room is 15 x 13 and I don't...
zeeveezee