Moroccan theme living room

rshdzFebruary 12, 2013
I am not a designer and need help, PLEASE! My brother must put his house on the market and doesnt have much to invest. How can I stage his morrocan living room? There is dark wood panels on the wall, high ceilings and the odd-looking fireplace. photos attached.
collettec
I would remove the mantel over the fireplace. I would remove the draperies on the windows. I'm not sure how much you want to do. Dark paneling can sometimes be a turnoff to potential buyers. Well staged homes with furniture often sell for more. I would think about painting the paneling a lighter neutral color.
    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:27AM
rshdz
I agree about painting the paneling because it makes the room very dark. Seeing the fireplace, what color do you recommend the walls? the ceiling is a bright white and we prefer to not repaint the ceiling or replace the carpet because its only a year old. The light fixtures, should they stay? thank you
    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:35AM
hulabo
How about painting the paneling. You would need to lightly sand, prime and paint. Also, remove the curtains and mantel piece as suggested by others. I would suggest placing a couch facing the firelace with chairs on either end facing each other with an ottomon in the middle. Good Luck!
    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:37AM
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
A golden-tan neutral color on the ceiling between beams and I agree remove the shelf above fireplace. Paint the fireplace the same color, but deeper to create design interest in the space. Agree on losing the drapes. Don't leave anything in the space that looks like Thrift shop furnishings. This space will look better clean, fresh paint.
    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:37AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I would definitely paint the paneling the same colour as the ceiling (unless you want to paint everything another shade of white) and remove the curtains to show off the windows. A nice rug big enough to cover a good part of the carpet would also help. Remove the shelf above the fireplace and replace it with a beautiful moroccan tapestry if budget permits.
    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:38AM
rshdz
The shelf and curtains will be gone for sure. Thank you for the ideas on how to lay the furniture.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:49AM
collettec
I agree with Lydia about painting the walls white so they blend in with the ceiling. I would take down the chandeliers.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:50AM
I really don't believe, unless it is in really beat up condition that you should paint the paneling. There will be buyers that will buy because of it. It is the character of this home. Painting everything white creates a vanilla home and it will bring those buyers that are not as emotional as the buyers who will be attracted to the character. The one of a kindness of this home. Those emotional buyers are fewer and always pay more because vanilla buyers are less emotional and are comparing one vanilla house to another looking for the best deal. I know this because when I was a broker in Southern California, I was in charge of the estate home division of my cmpany.
5 Likes    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 10:05AM
rshdz
That is a good point. I will need to figure out how to bring light into the room because the only lighting are the chandeliers.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 10:11AM
I will make a guess at the using colors from Dunn Edwards paint library, as that is what most painters use here and it is easier for me than to break out the Ben Moore.

Ceiling DE6142 Floating Feather
Fireplace DE6144 Graham Cracker

I am deriving these colors from what the golden color looks like in the fireplace. You can adjust accordingly.

If you have problems finding these, drop me a note and I will send you the color samples to take to your painter.
    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 10:15AM
collettec
If the chandeliers are going to be the only light, I would certainly keep them - usually the more light the better.
    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 10:18AM
MyCraftWork, LLC
You can check us out if you're looking to have a Moroccan theme!
    Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 7:24PM
Keitha
If you don't want to paint the paneling wipe it down with a wood refresher to give it the best look possible. Look into renting 2 dark brown leather sofas and a large coffee table arranging them in front of the fireplace. This will give a hint of how inviting and cozy the room can be without a lot of refurbishing effort and keep down the expense of staging the entire room. I agree with prior advice tto remove drapes... Just make sure those windows are squeaky clean inside and out! Good luck.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 7:56PM
Ditto Mary and Keitha. Remove the window treatments and squeaky clean windows. (cleanliness sells). Shampoo carpet and murphy oil soap the paneling. Remove fake plants. I think the FP surround is fab and full of character. Light, bright and clean sells (along with square footage). If you can, rent furniture for a month to help with buyer's furniture arrangement ideas and feel cozy.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 8:08PM
Interiors Unleashed
Agree with Darzy that the fireplace surround is fabulous. Remove the window curtains only if the view is nice. Since you don't have a budget to change things, focus on what is nice in the room, fireplace.

Use your energies and items to create a welcoming spot at the fireplace. Go to some discount store and find a great rug that will ground the space in front of the fireplace. Before removing the mantle try hanging wall art that will fit the style above and cut down or remove entirely the plants there.

Use the large plant to your advantage by bringing it closer to the fireplace. It can soften the corner of the fireplace and bring the eye away from the paneling and help ground the room.

One chair, a basket, or maybe even a large moroccan floor pillow or two along with the rug or instead of the rug.

Don't over do it. In an empty room a little can go a long way.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 8:32PM
Denice Shuty
Go to a blog called My Marrakesh. You will see a zillion ideas. Moroccan homes would not have w2w carpet, wood paneling and draperies, so those things have to be dealt with. I would neutralize the paneling first. I don't agree the house would look Vanilla, it has great bones with the arched windows, fireplace, and beamed angled ceiling. There are great Moroccan looks that have an all white background. Also get the book Marrakesh by Design. Here's my Moroccan living room...
1 Like    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 8:40AM
MyCraftWork, LLC
Love your Taznakht rug!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 9:00AM
Denice Shuty
My Craftwork, Is that what it is - Taznakht? I'll have to google that. Thanks!
    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 9:13AM
MyCraftWork, LLC
I can't really see the wool pile structure from this far up, but it's either a Taznakht or a Glaoui. They're probably some of the best selling Moroccan rugs after the Beni Ourain rugs!
Surprised you found one that big though, they're usually a bit smaller than that. Glad it worked out beautifully :-)
Tao Bellamine.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 9:21AM
Denice Shuty
I'm thrilled to learn more about my rug from you! I've never known how to describe it to people. It actually has two kinds of weaving/textures. Everything is a cut pile , maybe a 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch deep except for the coral and green rectangular areas which are flat weave with cut pile designs in the center of each rectangle. That's why I liked it so much - because it has the raised and flat combination. Does that tell you anything? I do think that I paid too much for it though from what I see for sale online now...got mine in 2004. I think the dyes are synthetic, they transfer a little onto a wet cloth if you rub it.
    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 10:20AM
MyCraftWork, LLC
If it's got a combination of flat and raised piles (3/8 of an inch), then it's most likely a Glaoui rug. The thing with Moroccan rugs is that each piece is unique in both its design and dimensions, so it's really hard to have a reference pricing to compare your pricing to. It is a piece of artistry in a way; you can't determine a painting's price from another painting! :-)
I have sold quite a few Glaoui rugs, and although I can't really tell how big your piece is from the picture, I would probably ballpark it in the $1000-$1200 range.
Hope this helps!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 10:33AM
Denice Shuty
Yes, that helps. It's approximately 6.5' x 10.5'. I paid a little more than that I think, maybe $1,300-$1,600 - I was naive. However, I love it just as much today as the day I bought it , and to me it makes the room what it is.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me!!! Can you tell me how to clean it?
    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 11:00AM
MyCraftWork, LLC
A pleasure! :-) Always happy to share my native country's artistry with other people!
Wow, that is actually much bigger than I thought it was! If you add custom clearance fees and shipping, you can easily end up in that 1500 dollars range.
Here's a blog article I put together a while ago - you can visit my website for more info (www.mycraftwork.com).
Cleaning a Handmade Moroccan Carpet:

There are plenty of resources online that can show you how to properly maintain/clean a handmade Moroccan rug or tapestry. Here are a few basic steps that can help you with this process:
1) Sweep away any dirt that may have clung to the rug using a straw bristle broom.
2) Soak up any liquid or recent spills using a paper towel. Do not rub or scrub. Lightly press the towel over the spill to absorb the liquid. Rubbing the area will cause the spill to soak deeper into the carpet.
3) Scrape off solid stains, including dry food using a spoon or a knife.
4) Mix a solution of tap water, 1 tsp. of liquid detergent and 1 tsp. of plain vinegar.
5) Dip the wash cloth in the solution and blot the stain. Do not soak the carpet with the solution.
Use the solution sparingly and rinse between blots with plain water. Dry with a towel.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 11:11AM
rachel de Bouillon
I agree that oiling and wiping carefully the wood pattern will bring it alive. You can go to the library and look at quickly made Moroccan pillows and find some pictures of Morocco you love and have them enlarged and framed cheaply but nicely. And just get a couple of nice sofas from a second hand place and clean them and put gorgeous hand made pillows on them. There are tons of remnants you can buy at a fabric place for a song. And candles with beads around them I am sure you can really make a statement.
Get rid of that mantel piece, that is an eye sore.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 11:14AM
Denice Shuty
rshdz, check out this room - it reminded me of yours as far as the bones of it. They have really nailed the style.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 7:26PM
BTW...I wouldn't stage as "morrocan". You want to appeal to as many buyers as possible Stage as cozy living space with a transitional style. Not traditional, not contemporay. Make as bright yet cozy as possible.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 10:42AM
MyCraftWork, LLC
I agree with Darzy. If the goal is to "offload" this house as soon as possible, then perhaps a more "generally" eclectic-yet-cozy decor would do. Moroccan is an acquired taste :-)
Hope you find a buyer asap!
Tao.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 10:49AM
rshdz
Thank you all so much! I am working hard with my brother to put this house for sale this month.
    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 2:43PM
Beach themed room when you live nowhere near the beach?
Please help. Would it be weird to decorate using a...
cherrykm
I want to redecorate my living room into a destination theme.
Anything New York City, Statue of Liberty and Empire...
nycwebstore
need help with my indian/middle eastern theme bedroom!
so i would love some comments on how to make this bedroom...
Sara Pourkay
Moroccan Dreaming - Looking for wooden fretwork
Hi. I need a change in my outlook - just got through...
tomboysuze
Help me pick colours/theme for my living rooms!?
Hi, we recently purchased a house and I'm struggling...
champagne4lulu
Farmhouse/Primitive kitchen
I realize these aren't really the same styles but I...
Josie Ramsey
Kitchen Help!
I need help with my kitchen. I do not like having the...
Brenda
Shutter color advice please
Now that spring is starting to hit here in MN, we are...
msteffel
Help with stone wall unit
We are putting the silver stone on our basement wall,...
lisasterzer
Flooring Choices - Soapstone Tile or Oak?
I have a dog and I am moving to the Pacific NW where...
kellyc609
Sponsored Products
8 Lights Traditional Style Chandelier with Crystal Laces & Pendants
ParrotUncle
Madrid Collection 6" Wide Chrome Metal Mini Pedant
$69.00 | Lamps Plus
Poly Lumber Round Side Table
Fifthroom.com
Ennis Pendant by Arteriors
$720.00 | Lumens
Deluna Loveseat - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Comfort Line Spa N A Box Portable Spa - CL250W
$949.00 | Hayneedle
Accent Rug: Bristol Squares Burgundy 1' 8" x 2' 10"
$14.97 | Home Depot
Glove Leather Lounge Chair in Baby Blue
$899.00 | LexMod