is it ok to put a makeup vanity in a bedroom?
ktiquet
I was wondering if it's ok to put a small makeup table or vanity in a bedroom? I have much better light in my master than in my bath. I have a large bedroom but is this tacky? Thanks
There are some very chic and modern dressing tables around just google "modern dressing tables" and you are sure to find something. .
February 12, 2013 at 11:19AM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Not tacky at all! Make-up tables were made to put in bedrooms because the bathrooms were so small. There are alot of options out there!
February 12, 2013 at 11:34AM     
carole
ofcourse you can put the make-up table/vanity in the room!!!!!!!!!!!
February 12, 2013 at 11:42AM     
I agree, you can put the makeup vanity in either space.

February 12, 2013 at 11:55AM     
Interiors International, Inc.
Sure a lot of my clients ask to have them in the bath.
February 12, 2013 at 12:02PM     
ktiquet
Thank you all now I can show this to my husband who told me only if you are a single girl. This is the same man who won't let me use any colors expect blue, brown, grey, and sometimes green. Any ideas on a good one? I don't really have a "style " yet we just moved so all we have is a bed. We trashed all of our old stuff and said we would start fresh in our new house.
February 12, 2013 at 12:21PM     
carole
well now,sounds like your husband needs reminding that you are living in this house TOGETHER!!
there are ofcourse lots of beautifull design you can have with these colors,but tell us,please,which colors would you like to have,that way we can start putting together the style for you and him!!!!
February 12, 2013 at 12:47PM     
Rosemarie
"any idea on a good one"-- Husband or table? lol
February 12, 2013 at 12:52PM     
ktiquet
Like like sliver and maybe a lite purple but he'll never go for purple but the blue could work I think you guys are so sweet! Husband says " I have to like it if I have to pay for it! "
February 12, 2013 at 1:01PM   
carole
ahhh,but we are not telling you to spend any more money,just to give you a change to show him that you will love and respect him and have a bit of your style too!!!!!(i get this comment too,but then,once its put together he always likes it all,men,i think,have a different eye for things)back to the style???contempory??what is in the house already?is it a new build....
February 12, 2013 at 1:18PM   
nasmijati
You could use silver and light purple accessories with any table, for your enjoyment only. They can be stored in a drawer when not in use.
(For example, if I receive a delightfully scented candle as a gift, I select one of my drawers for it. I can enjoy the scent when I open the drawer and on whatever clothing might be stored there. It makes the scent much more intimate.)
Best wishes.
February 12, 2013 at 1:58PM   
ktiquet
Our house is a new build all I have so for is our dinning table and two sectionals I would say things are leaning to the transional style I like e ererything to have a place so the house always looks clean! I do like to have a few nick jacks but they have to be beautiful or I find a "home " for them from looking at pictures on houzz I think I like some traditional but no clutter love fresh flowers out around the house. Can you look at my idea book? I only put Pi Turkestan that I love in it can't tell why I love some of the pictures just a "feeling " I get when I see it. I'm. Trying to be a realistic thinker so for the bedroom I want to stay in the 5-9 thousand range I have a whole house to do. We didn't get to pick finishes so I need to try and work with what I got it stinks. Thanks again everyone.
February 12, 2013 at 3:36PM   
nasmijati
Hi ktiquet. I took a brief look at your Ideabook. What caught my eye: You like a black, white, and gray background, with the gray having swirly patterns. Most pictures have some turquoise/teal/dark blue in them somewhere. You like fancy cut tile and tile in general. Your style seems traditional/transitional.

As an amateur decorating enthusiast only, I suggest that while it seems counterintuitive the first step in the bedroom is buying the bed covering and taking the rest of the room colors from that. Knowing you, the bed covering is most likely going to have turquoise in the pattern.
February 12, 2013 at 5:09PM     
ktiquet
Wow ezita your good my dream bedding would have turquoise and cream, but I have little boys who sit in my bed every night for a story ( hubby is worried about anything light) . I do love me some beautiful tile, I have 3 large bathrooms and a kitchen that needs a tile make over. Right now I'm trying to get master done so hubby and I have a special place of our own. Unlike a lot of husbands mine wants to have all the say so in decorating he has always been worried that I would do a house full of pink and purple with flowers not sure why. So I want to make a presentation to him and show him what I would like to do before we start buying things I just am not sure what I really want a few weeks ago I almost let him paint the room a strange greyish green sliver. That's why I need a little help to get started from the awesome houzz users. ( I needed to win about the makeup vanity too) . So point me anywhere you think I should go thatnks ya'll
February 12, 2013 at 5:47PM     
nasmijati
Hmmm. Turquoise and cream bedsheets? Dark patterned washable bedcover while the boys are small.
February 12, 2013 at 6:35PM   
nasmijati
I like the third photo of a vanity in groveraxle's post, and the photo that Dytecture posted. Both are ones that would not send a male screaming in the other direction, in my opinion. They are both black or black with natural wood, which I see in your Ideabook. Perhaps if given a choice between the two, you and your husband could have a starting place for discussion?
February 12, 2013 at 6:40PM   
ktiquet
Ezita I'm. Looking at bedding right now. I was thinking a vanity in a mirrored finish I would like night stands like that too or maybe just mine and a dark one for hubby?
February 12, 2013 at 6:54PM   
nasmijati
You had better discuss it with him first.
February 13, 2013 at 8:04AM   
ktiquet
Ok so I have 72 hours to get a mood board to show hubby what I want besides a makeup vanity. Help me please! Any ideas?
February 13, 2013 at 12:46PM   
fuzinav
Do you have the bed yet, or any dressers or other storage? Start with the bed as largest piece, choose a color family for bedding and draperies based on likes and availability. Select a dressing table in a finish that complements the other pieces. Everything doesn't need to match, but coexist !
February 13, 2013 at 1:07PM   
carole
okidoki,he likes a challenge!!!am checking your page now.......
there is nothing there,just 1 ideabook,if you can open a new one and put in there ONLY what you like(for now) edit and change after we all had a look!!!!the ideabook you have now is way to many pictures,some man switch of after 3..words-pictures-or minutes,its just the way it is,so try not to repeat!!!!or you wont stand a change convincing him of anything!!!this is good advice given to me some yrs ago by my mother-in-law!!it works!!!!
February 13, 2013 at 1:11PM     
ktiquet
Great idea wow my m.I.l. doesn't help me. Ok can you guys help me a little? Love the idea of sliver, cream & turquoise. Love to get a mirror I have a bed not sure I can make it work its got a brown leather head board. Can't. Be to girlish hubby is a fan of blue and brown or grey. Does this give you any go to ideas? Room is large with vaulted ceilings so big stuff could work I have to go pick up boys be back as fast as I can thank you thank you.
February 13, 2013 at 2:51PM     
carole
chillll!!! i will find some pictures for you,they are in your ideabook..will check in later!!!dont worry !!!!
February 13, 2013 at 4:09PM   
nasmijati
Brown and turquoise is a good combination. Let me see if I can find some photos for you.
I will take a look at your Ideabook as well.
February 13, 2013 at 5:03PM   
ktiquet
Thanks lady's your a lifesaver
February 13, 2013 at 5:06PM   
LB Interiors
Yes, it's okay. That's where I have my vanity and it is a nice piece of furniture. Use a vanity that looks like furniture and you'll be fine.
February 13, 2013 at 5:43PM     
LB Interiors
Someone mentioned start with the bedding. I totally agree. I've found it is the hardest element to find that you and hubby will agree upon. That will be your color inspiration for the rest of the plan. Furniture later.

I feel that you can have dark or light woods for the furniture and mix in the mirrored vanity. If it will have a space that is separating it from being right next to the other furniture. Then, you can add color and silver and mirrored accessories in smaller doses. Anything that looks chrome, silver, mercury glass would be great. Hubby may not have a problem with a few smaller accessories that show that you are a partner in this room.

What about dark furniture and silver metallic paint color (comes in colors of choice) for walls? Metallics will capture the light and the vanity would be a compliment. Metallic will add a little glam to the room. It's a subtle light catcher.

If you can find what feeling you want from the room, it will come together by the choices in paint, fabrics, furniture, textures... and on what elements they are going to acheive that feeling for your room.
February 13, 2013 at 5:59PM   
nasmijati
Ktiquet, I have found quite a few photos for you. Some are from your Ideabook, others are from Houzz, and some I Googled "turquoise bedspread." I can attach four at a time. I am sorry the photos do not enlarge on this post.

Now, given that you have a brown leather headboard, little boys who climb into bed with you, and your husband does not want light bedding...meanwhile you would like mirrored furniture.

It seems counterintuitive, but it easiest to start with the bedding and use it to guide color and texture choices for the rest of the room.
That said, I am thinking that your vanity might be best received by your husband if it is a dark wood, marble top, and has a "girly" mirror.
So, here goes:
February 13, 2013 at 6:26PM     
nasmijati
More...
February 13, 2013 at 6:27PM     
nasmijati
More photos.
The first photo shows the kind of vanity I think your husband might accept, and it has the mirror you chose.
The second photo has wall tile, but I wonder if Ikat fabric might also work.
The third photo shows a little bit of mirrored furniture.
The fourth photo is from your Ideabook, showing colors you know your husband likes.
Please continue to let us know your thoughts as you work on this project.
February 13, 2013 at 6:32PM   
ktiquet
Ezita I really like the bedding from the second set picture 4 I think your right about the vanity. What are your thoughts on the metallic paint that L.B. was talking about? So I played around with furniture placement on paper and I have room for a long dresser a tall boy dresser and a loveseat or two chairs and a small table in seating area. I found a rug that I love but can you put a rug over carpet? Also started a bedroom idea book only has a few things in it but I will make a hubby idea book for the things to show John. Again thank you for all your help I really hope this works so I feel like I have a space in this house. Kat T.
February 13, 2013 at 7:22PM   
nasmijati
I do not have any experience with metallic wall paint. Perhaps another Houzzer can advise you about that.
Two chairs are much more versatile than a love seat.
Do you NEED all the furniture you are thinking about? It is a good idea to have one's sleeping place as clutter-free as possible. Just because the furniture will fit does not mean it is a good idea. On the other hand, if the closet is minuscule, you may need furniture for storage of clothing.
One can put a rug over carpet. I think I recall that a rug pad is a good idea. You might need to look into the best way to proceed.
February 13, 2013 at 8:58PM   
LB Interiors
I'm sorry, are you wanting a make up desk/vanity, or a sink vanity? Thanks
February 13, 2013 at 9:00PM   
nasmijati
The photo of the bedroom you like is a Houzz photo:
Contemporary Bedroom / LS Interiors Group, Inc.
www.lsinteriorsgroup.com
Designer: Lori Schlegel

It is part of the "Saunders Senior Residence" portfolio photos in the Professionals section of Houzz.
February 13, 2013 at 9:05PM   
nasmijati
(continued)
LS Interiors Group, Inc.
Jupiter, Florida 33458
(561) 972-4100
February 13, 2013 at 9:19PM   
carole
just some mirrored bedtables!!!they are not too girlie!!!!hope that will help....
February 14, 2013 at 1:28AM   
ktiquet
L.b. I'm. Looking for a "desk /makeup " vanity can you tell me a little about the paint? Carol I do like the first picture very much but I think ezita might be right about my hubby not going for that look.

Ezita what does that say about me liking the senior look I'm only 32 maybe! Lol I really only need one large storage piece. If the nightstands have a little storage I can make one good size dresser work. Our room just feels so big and empty right now.we moved from a very small house 950 sqft. To this place I think that's why I'm trying to fill up the space.
February 14, 2013 at 3:25AM   
carole
well,we can only try!!how is your moodboard coming along????
February 14, 2013 at 7:06AM   
ktiquet
Having a hard time with the with making our bed work. Another thing is the paint L.B. had said to try a metallic and I like the idea but not sure what color to paint the walls right now the walls are two shades of baby plop green, so I have to have a paint color to show him. Also no clue where to find a metallic paint chip for board.
February 14, 2013 at 8:35AM   
carole
lets see what there is.....
February 14, 2013 at 8:42AM   
nasmijati
What is the reason the bed is not "working" for you at the moment? Placement? Bedding?
There is nothing wrong with having an appreciation for antique "senior" furniture...
February 14, 2013 at 8:57AM   
carole
absolutly not,most seniors have a lot of expierence decorating and know what they need to make it just right!!!so to aspire to that is a great way to make your own place work for you..lets see if i can put in some more pict.for you
pls answer eztia q's,i am losing sight of what it is were are trying to find out for you????
February 14, 2013 at 9:04AM   
February 14, 2013 at 10:10AM   
ktiquet
Ok I see the paint I thought it was something you added to paint silly me. Ok the beds not working because it has a leather head board its not speaking to anything else in the room.
I hope I didn't offend anyone with the seniors thing sorry my friend is always telling me that I pick stuff that older people do. I was wondering if telling you we are in AZ would help at all I think I want the space to look "cool " . How do you post pictures? I got some fabric that I would love to show you guys. Would also love to post Pictures of the room too.
February 14, 2013 at 10:25AM     
carole
to post pictures on Houzz!! i upload them to my laptop in a picturefile, then open the discussion i want to add the images too!! if its pictures from a search i do the same i upload them to the picturefile and once you press attach images its the same as putting them in your ideabook!!
February 14, 2013 at 11:38AM   
LB Interiors
Something you may want to keep in mind ... it's impossible to get a final view of the room when you're adding one or two items at a time. A decision to begin, can be the headboard, or an artwork, or the bedding, or an artifact, or an accesssory that is a must have.

That will become the lower rung on the stepladder to begin the room's building process. Design begins one step at a time, especially when you are on a budget (or prefer to be). It's also harder to use things that you already have and add some new elements to the mix to update and become the room you're desiring.

I believe that to cut costs, I would work with the leather headboard and start there. Hubby will be happy too. You can always add your feminine touches in a lot of other ways. He should be ok with including you in the room? I think there are a lot of ways to make the headboard work for you!
February 14, 2013 at 12:02PM   
LB Interiors
Another thought, I would decide about the headboard. if you don't use, then choose furniture that both of you will like. Or find the bedding - actually I have found that when I plan a room, it starts with style and with fabrics or bedding or upholstered furniture 'first'. That will set the guideline of adding everything else.

The reason being ... that I need to work with my husband's needs also and ... those items I just spoke of are by far the hardest decisions for both of us. I'm particular about style, color and pattern. Husband could care less, he either likes it or can't live with it. I would find one of these key items first.

The paint color, is always the last choice for me. I want the fabrics or bedding to be my priority as I've spent so much time finding the bedding that "I" can't live without! Just what has worked for me and many of my clients.
February 14, 2013 at 12:22PM   
ktiquet
Ok so if I find bedding only how would I put a mood board together with only bedding to show him? Husband wants to see everything that I want to put in the room ( bedding, drapes, paint, night stands, chairs, table, bench, dressers, art, mirror, rugs, toss pillows, vanity for makeup and even a picture of the door for masterbath as there's no door now.) Before he will even let me get anything for the room I have to win him over or he'll get to pick everything and I'll be left out of another room. I'm sure hubby will hire a pro but I want to look like I live in this house too, I really want to decorate this room every woman dreams of decorating her house and most only have to run things by the husband . My husband isn't like most men he wants his house to look a certain way .
February 14, 2013 at 12:49PM     
carole
so does mine,but in 12 yrs i havent given in yet!!have compromised,but that is a 2 way conversation!!
husband has now given you a way to show that this will be a fab room!!what you need to do is put it together in an ideabook on houzz or with pictures stuck in a book or go to the shops where you want to buy and either get a picture or a sample of what you want to buy,personallyi make 2 moodboards always ; a room i love and a room i think he agrees on(which at first he never does,sometimes i have to put my foot down,other times i let him mull it over for a while and try again,it has been know for him to take 2 yrs to decide on lamps!!!) so be prepared i know you want to do this room and its because he has made it dificult for you that you are now insecure,your ideabooks show you know what he wants and what you want!!!!!!!!! it is up to him to comprimise you have done more then your share of it up to this point,all about a room where most of the time you have your eyes closed!!!!
February 14, 2013 at 1:32PM   
Jocelyn wishlist
I am actually going to put mine in my walk in closet because our bathroom is too small. If this is an option it is a great one.
February 14, 2013 at 1:40PM   
ktiquet
Ok so I have a bedroom idea book how am I doing so far?
February 14, 2013 at 3:08PM   
nasmijati
Ktiquet, it sounds as if this time, YOU need to hire a decorator to help you make a mood board that YOU like. I sincerely hope that you have some funds that are strictly for your own personal use.
You mentioned you only had a very short time to get your ideas together for your husband. Would it be possible to ask for another week?
February 14, 2013 at 3:10PM   
nononanna
I agree with ezila - try to find a decorator that is good at dealing with husbands like yours who have definite ideas but maybe not a lot of ex[erience with decoration. I have a male decorator friend - straight- that does a marvelous job of walking husbands through new ideas. He works for a big furniture store so it doesn't cost anything other than the stuff you buy. He's worth his weight in gold,
February 14, 2013 at 3:32PM   
LB Interiors
Hi ktiquet, I have some things that I feel you will really like. Maybe we can work together on this. I can create a grouping of suggestions that you can mix or match. You can check with hubby once there are a few groupings to show him. It will save you anguish and time in your search. Things you can buy right now, since time is short. Send me an email. I don't use facebook or twitter. Hope to hear from you. Thanks
February 14, 2013 at 3:35PM   
ktiquet
This is my bedroom.
February 14, 2013 at 5:43PM   
LB Interiors
Is hubby ok with this comforter, are you looking for something else?
February 14, 2013 at 6:17PM   
ktiquet
I want new bedding hubby picked this out I like the pattern I want something brighter not so dark
February 14, 2013 at 8:29PM   
nononanna
Maybe hubby is afraid that it will be messy and covered with all kinds of makeup, hair products, etc. that he doesn't want to look at...
February 15, 2013 at 1:49AM   
carole
not as bad as i imagened!!will have a look at the ideabook!!you got another 40 hrs so no need to panic!!
February 15, 2013 at 2:31AM   
ktiquet
Nononanna that's. Funny but I do wash my makeup off before I go to bed and right now I'm still wearing a wig so that comes off before bed too and I wrap my head in a scarf so I know that's not the problem! I don't. Need white I just want a brighter blue and not so much brown.

Ezita I wish I could say I have my own $ but I can't . And he won't give me another week maybe one more day but only if I give him a sneak peek and I don't want to do that.
February 15, 2013 at 5:16AM   
DOWNS INTERIORS
It is a good idea to utlize a vanity in your master bedroom. As long as you keep it on a small scale and keep it chic, it'll look beautiful Here's a lovely vanity that aludes glamour.
February 15, 2013 at 5:21AM   
nononanna
When we were shopping for a house, we decided that both of us had the right of refusal - maybe that is how you need to proceed with decorating. I've done it both ways with my husband - sometimes I let him get involved and sometimes I throw temper tantrums - both work about as well. It has to be said that now I have something "on" him - we've moved back to his hometown just for him...

I know it doesn't meet lots of people's ideas of the modern marriage, but that's the way it goes. I'm like you - the money is all "his" and though he gives a good deal of lipservice to the importance of mothers and women, he doesn't really believe it.

Sometimes my only hope is to tire him out - after a while he gets sick of the discussion and moves on, leaving me to do pretty much what I want.
February 15, 2013 at 8:14AM   
nononanna
Or maybe you could compromise on the rest of the house - bedroom yours, den his or something like that?
February 15, 2013 at 8:15AM   
carole
have you decided on color and bedding??also put in 2 different style cabinets and vanity so there is some choice!!!am getting nervous for you now!!show us what you got sofar or should i check on your ideabook??when you 2 are working through this process remember to give yourself a few options...i would pick a door and if he does not like it say...oke you can pick the door same with dresser,give yourself some room to negociate and simplefy your design on your list are 14 items!!!!go for the bsics first!!!paint nightstand vanity and dresser!!there is no way you 2 will agree on 14 things at once,that would be asking the impossible from him and you!!!
February 15, 2013 at 9:32AM   
ktiquet
I put the items in bedroom idea book so had I had few to choose from. J wants to sit down Sunday night and talk about bedroom. My niece put the pictures up for me lastnight, so today I'm going out to get paint chips and take a few pictures of chairs and fabric she will post the Pictures for me tonight so you all can tell me what you think. As far as what you see in idea book what would you pick to show him? Still haven't found the perfect bedding I'm thinking if I can find a fabric I like my friend said she would make it and drapes for me and this is what she does for a living. I'll. Check in one more time before I head out!
February 15, 2013 at 10:12AM     
LB Interiors
February 15, 2013 at 10:31AM   
SPACIALISTS
Yes you can, Just make sure it balances with the rest of the space and furniture.
February 15, 2013 at 10:36AM   
carole
you see,coming together,give your niece and friend a big hug!!!girlpower!!lets hope J will approve (of some of it at least,dont be dissapointed if he is critical!!!)
February 15, 2013 at 1:08PM   
ktiquet
Carole do any of the dressers in my idea book stand out as best choice or a don't show him that?
February 15, 2013 at 1:35PM   
carole
just the bleu one,it is lovely but probably a bit to much out there!!keep that bleu as your wall color and accesoires,also dont show him the sparkly candles,those are the things you bring in after a month or so,he wont like them now but once he is ok with the room you can bring thses sparklies in,but not just yet!!!
February 15, 2013 at 1:56PM   
carole
here a list of what i would show...1 chair and color 3 lamp and nightstand 4 12 14 16 17 18
13 maybe...make sure you can live with all of these if,on the off-change that he says yes to all of these!!!
February 15, 2013 at 2:09PM   
ktiquet
Carole ok I do like all the ones you said. So you think the color of the dresser for all the walls should I still do the metallic paint? I'm. Making my board well two of them and I'm want you guys to vote for the you like the best. I got paint chips in a pearl white and pearl grey today fabric I can pick up in the morning had to have it shipped. Let me know about paint do I need to get a blue? Kttk
February 15, 2013 at 6:34PM     
nononanna
If he's like mine he never says yes riight away to any idea that wasn't his to start with, but if I leve him alone for 24 hours to stew about it, he adds some little tiny thing and then touts it as his. So I sort of lose the battle but win the war...
February 15, 2013 at 11:19PM     
ktiquet
Thank you all for your help! I have to take a break from this project for a little while we have a family member who has gone into a coma and is dying. We need time to grieve. J grandma was a wonderful lady who had a zest for color and decorating she will be really missed.
again thank you for everything. KtTk
February 16, 2013 at 12:10AM   
carole
sorry to hear this news...wishing you strenght at this time C
February 16, 2013 at 12:35PM   
LB Interiors
I'm so sorry, my best to you!
February 16, 2013 at 1:44PM   
nononanna
Puts it all in perspective, right?

Just a mention here on the metallic paint - I love them too but you can always see brush marks with them; it's never perfectly even the way regular paint is. If principal that's part of it's appeal, but it bugs some people...
February 17, 2013 at 9:34AM   
LB Interiors
@ nononanna. Wow, never had that problem. All I can say is, the metallic applications I've used have been with rollers or cloths in faux applications. Is very soft and cloudy appearing. Maybe using the wrong brush?
Paints and Stains - faux metallic paint.
Solid purple stripe is metallic paint with a brush.
Faux Painting - Purple Metallic Paint
Metallic purple paint on a blue wall.
February 17, 2013 at 10:50AM   
nononanna
Always used rollers and Ralph Lauren paint because I loved the colors. Actually I loved the look. But it was always different than other paints. I'd find it hard to live with in a bedroom...
February 17, 2013 at 12:17PM   
LB Interiors
'nononanna, Why, what don't you like about it used in a bedroom? metallics are not sceaming mirror glass finishes. They catch the light with a subtlety from any light source. Just curious.
February 17, 2013 at 1:19PM   
nononanna
I would not find it relaxing, and what's more important, I think it's a hard sell in this situation.
February 17, 2013 at 2:06PM   
carole
you are probably right,it would look great,but in this case i think the" decorating in style" will be done in babysteps!!
February 17, 2013 at 2:36PM   
nasmijati
Ktiquet, there is a new Ideabook called "How to Joyfully Marry His and Her Styles." It might be helpful...
February 20, 2013 at 8:02AM   
ktiquet
Thank you all for your kind words! People say that everybody grieves in their own way and this is so true my husband has not stoped. Moving he painted our room already ( valspar London coach) so now I have to work around this the thing is I don't have any time crunch so grey cream and blue is what I'm trying for. Thank you ladies for your sweet words KtTk
February 20, 2013 at 11:50AM   
nasmijati
You can do a lot with gray, cream and blue! Blue sheets and blanket. Get your vanity in there. Paint it gray to match the walls. Silvery hardware and mirror. Blue/silver accessories on vanity top. I have a feeling your husband might not mind one of those ornate silver hairbrushes on the vanity...
Will look for photos with gray walls and blue and cream. Be back soon...
February 20, 2013 at 6:05PM   
nasmijati
Hi ktiquet. I found some photos for you they are all from Houzz PHOTOS. Scroll down click "bedroom." In the style section, click "Traditional." Enter "gray,blue" in the search box.
I can attach four at a time.
I am sorry these photos do not enlarge on this post.
February 20, 2013 at 6:20PM   
nasmijati
More photos...
February 20, 2013 at 6:21PM   
nasmijati
And one more...
February 20, 2013 at 6:21PM   
ktiquet
Wow ezita I really like picture #2 from the first set. Thank you what would you think of a blue accent wall? Or is that not good to do?
February 20, 2013 at 6:54PM   
august42
yes, of course. bedroom or bath will work. if it matches the bedroom set, then keep them together.
February 20, 2013 at 7:17PM   
nasmijati
Sure, you can do an accent wall. Usually it is the one behind the headboard.
February 21, 2013 at 4:17AM   
nasmijati
Hello ktiquet. Any updates?
February 27, 2013 at 2:22PM   
tt67
Not problem. I live in a 100 yr old house....so no double sink bathroom for us. Small antique dressing tables are easy to find for the bedroom. You might consider an area rug under if it's not on hardwood. As careful as I am, I still end up messing up my carpet and needing to get it clean right under the makeup vanity.
February 27, 2013 at 2:54PM   
ktiquet
Hello out there not really any updates we can't desire on bedding so that is where we are stuck I would like something light maybe with a demask and he wants manly any ideas on how to bridge that gap??
March 5, 2013 at 2:51PM   
nononanna
Could you work around colors of gray? Maybe pearl gray for you with touches of darker? Or blue - a lighter blue with navy?
March 5, 2013 at 4:06PM   
ktiquet
The color is only half the battle j hasn't. Liked any bedding that I have picked out and he keeps showing me gross manly stuff j is part French part Japanese I want to find something that apeels to the French side I love all my art it's all blues Grey's and taupes images of Paris so I think a a damask would work great.
March 6, 2013 at 1:31PM   
moreismoore
I live in France, and everything here now is that taupe, gray, dusty rose/violet mix. Shabby chic sort of thing. Maybe he'd like that? Just for fun, try getting a French design magazine like Elle Decoration and leave it around. Although much of their stuff is real contemporary. But it might get him thinking.
March 6, 2013 at 3:51PM   
nasmijati
You might be able to get sheets and and a pillow cover for your side of the bed in a more feminine pattern. His pillow would have a plain color (pillows tucked under the bedcover during the day).
What about a fleur-de-lis (sp?) design on the bedspread?
March 6, 2013 at 5:07PM   
ktiquet
I like the fleur-de-lis idea I haven't seen anything like that where did you see that ezita? I have been to a ton of stores and looked on line to just point me in the right direction for the best place to find bedding please
March 6, 2013 at 7:26PM   
fuzinav
Googling fleur de lis bedding comes up with quite a few options. I think a stripe might be appealing. Stripes can be manly, but are available in a damask as well which would not be quite as much of a floral and possibly more accepable. I found one at walmart onluine called "Mainstays".
March 6, 2013 at 8:28PM   
ktiquet
Update hubby bought dark grey bedding this weekend any ugly blue sheets put it on the bed and slept in it ( baby is sick so I was in his room) now I'm stuck with it
March 12, 2013 at 7:52PM   
aly25son
I'm married and I have one in my room..it's dark wood which matches our furniture..if it wasn't such a disaster. I'd take a pic for u right now!
March 12, 2013 at 8:00PM   
aly25son
My dn is dark gray couches, light silver gray carpet, cream and gray ikat drapes with pillows the pattern of shades of peacock or teal whatever you call the color.. and similar shades of blue..and silver vases etc..etc..and I love the palette!
March 12, 2013 at 8:04PM   
ktiquet
Aly25son do you have any pictures of your space?
March 12, 2013 at 9:40PM   
moreismoore
You could always refuse to sleep in it.
March 13, 2013 at 3:40PM   
nasmijati
I wonder if your husband would agree to a set of plain white sheets "for summer?"
If so, this gives you several months to add a fleur-de-lis pattern to the top edge of the blue top sheet, and the edge of your blue pillow cover.
If your family exchanges gifts for birthdays, you might ask for some money and start a bank account in your name only. You could also ask for a gift certificate so you could buy the sheets of your choice.
March 14, 2013 at 12:27PM   
ktiquet
Ezita how could I add a pattern to the top of the sheets and pillow cases? I could never ask for money as a gift and starting my own bank account would start a fight it's just not worth it for me to decorate a room. White sheets with 2 little boys and a little pug not sure if I could keep them white for long!
March 15, 2013 at 9:27PM   
nononanna
Actually white sheets are the easiest because you can put clorox in the wash, but when they're dirty, they're dirty.

The subject of personal bank accounts might fall under the category of "none of my damned business" but no one has to know that you have it. Even if you only put a few dollars in it at a time, it might be very comforting to know that it is there. You can ask that they never send anything to you through the mail or emails.

A few years ago when my husband and I were having trouble I took a tiny apartment near my parents that I never really lived in but knowing it was there and that I could leave whenever I wanted allowed me to get through a very difficult time.
March 16, 2013 at 6:54AM   
nasmijati
You could buy a stencil set at Hobby Lobby, and use fabric paint to put the design on the sheets. Perhaps you could ask for a stencil set, paint, an the special paintbrush for a gift? Go to Hobby Lobby or another craft store WITH the person who will be purchasing the gift. It is more fun that way.
March 16, 2013 at 8:32PM   
nononanna
That's going to be messy, though, don't you think? And if he hates pattern that's well done he's going to really hate pattern put on like that. I think at this point I would say "discretion is the better part of valor" and move on to something else. You can let him know you're unhappy but wait for your chance on something else or on this room in a while.
March 17, 2013 at 3:04AM   
nononanna
But in the meantime, I'd start putting some money away of my own.
March 17, 2013 at 3:05AM   
shelleyuk
Could you not introduce pattern through layering. Get a couple of bedding sets which go with the one your husband has bought and mix and match. Sometimes nice big comforters pretty much hide the sheets etc underneath (!!!!!)

By the way I have two small boys and pets and its white bedding all the way in my room at the moment. It's so much easier to wash since you can put it on at a higher heat.

As you being allowed to make any decisions?
March 17, 2013 at 3:34AM   
shelleyuk

Would a console like this work
March 17, 2013 at 3:39AM   
shelleyuk
Could you post a picture of the bedding and walls so we can see what we're working with?
March 17, 2013 at 3:41AM   
nononanna
Ultimately this isn't a question of bedding - this is a question of power within the marriage. Only you can decide what's important and what's worth giving in on. It could be that in other matters you feel strong and important, so this isn't worth fighting over. Or you could feel powerless within the relationship, whih is not good, and the sheets are the last straw.

Would it be fruitless to suggest having a frank discussion with your husband about all this?
March 17, 2013 at 3:43AM   
shelleyuk
How about suggesting to your husband that you need two bedding sets for when one is in the wash. Would any of these work with your walls? He might go for the first? Blues greys and browns and would work with your leather headboard.
March 17, 2013 at 3:48AM     
shelleyuk
By the way I looked up your wall colour and I think you could do a lot with that. It's a nice colour and very on trend.
March 17, 2013 at 3:53AM   
nasmijati
On second thought, the idea of putting a fleur-de-lis pattern on the sheets with a stencil set will probably make your husband angry. Better to let that idea go...

Earlier in this discussion, you said you could never ask for money for a gift. Could you ask for a gift card to a store you like?
March 17, 2013 at 6:41AM   
shelleyuk
You could trim the sheets though with a patterned fabric if you're handy with the sewing machine
March 17, 2013 at 12:15PM   
nasmijati
@ktiquet. I have been thinking about you and wondering what you ended up doing? Did you get a vanity?
May 31, 2013 at 8:37PM   
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
New furniture
I cannot figure out what furniture to buy and how to...
I need help with my kitchen final touches!!
This is a question for Christi of Thos.Baker What...
Over the toilet cabinet??? Good or bad design???
Over the toilet cabinet good or bad design? Is it out...
HELP - Best Paint Color with Oak Cabinets
Our kitchen has those honey-colored oak cabinets (great...