I'm trying to match lighting in two display cases.
Fl!p Breskin
I have two glass display cabinets built-in, side-by-side over adjacent windows. One is 18" deep, 60" long and is lit by 3 small 50 watt Halogen can lights (mr16s I think). The other display case is only 4" deep, with barely over 2" clear depth at the top. It is 32" long. Both cabinets are four feet tall. I need to find something to use in the smaller, narrower cabinet that will "read" as matching light color & brightness. Both cabinets are on the same light switch, with a dimmer. The smaller case has a hole drilled through the top in the center. I will be displaying bright, jewel-toned antique glassware. Halogen makes the glassware glow wonderfully. I definitely want to stick with that.

Here is a link to photos of the cases (still under construction). They are built into the inside of my kitchen windows. The lights are for use at night and in the wintertime. The version of the light that was installed in the smaller window when this photo was taken turned out to throw too much heat for the space. It threatened to melt the roller mesh sun-shade right beside it.

My question (I think) is whether three 25-watt halogens would light up the smaller window to a similar brightness to the bigger window lit by three 50 watt halogens.

I tried puck lights (they didn't fit - too wide) and rope lights (both incandescent & LED). They were the wrong color and not bright enough. I'm poking around looking for display case lighting at this point. Skinny, long, and aimed down.

I'm thrilled with my windows. Once the shelves are in, the inner glass doors will keep Kitchen Schmutz from settling on my glassware. I'll also have lots more room for display when the shelves are in both windows. I'll include a "before" shot so you can see how pretty the glassware looks in the sun. It looks almost as good under the halogens.

Thank you for any suggestions you can give!
Sincerely,
Fl!p@Breskin.com
dalma darling
I see your post is from a few weeks back, I'd love to know what you decided on and an after photo of course!
April 16, 2013 at 1:20PM   
Fl!p Breskin
Thanks! I'm still working on it. Looks like my brother will be able to help me install a trial LED 50 watt equivalent bulb tomorrow so I can look at the color. If that's good enough, I'll use those in both cases and avoid having a heat problem. But if the color is ugly, I have to keep looking. Any ideas? Thank you!
April 16, 2013 at 9:28PM   
furniture arranging in living room help!
I moved into this apartment in November, and I've tried...
Help needed!
Any ideas on how to makeover this 1960's tiled fireplace...
Need help for living room furniture and windows placement
I need help with windows placement and furniture in...
Family room with dated built ins
Looking for suggestions on what to do with these built...
How to update this 70s home.
We are purchasing this home. It's a story and a half....