Living room ideas needed
svessland
Just bought this 1932 English Tudor house and getting all new & antique furnishings. Windows are leaded and have a little yellow pattern in them. Original hardwood floor and woodwork. Ideas??
(Picture shows kitchen window but all windows are the same)
Ironwood Builders
Where do YOU want to go? The kitchen seems dated with its black top mount cast iron sink and old Delta faucet. The designers will want to see more pictures so they can dream for you. Personally, I love the fireplace and living room and wouldn't change a thing except the paint on the walls and the fire screen. I'll let the design folks do the color thing. I'm more for the nuts and bolts questions and contract questions/problems. Love your space...My furniture would look great in there!
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 8:15PM
First of all, why do you think your home is English Tudor? I see none of that style. From your pix it is either art deco or craftsman. Before you start to decorate and purchase furniture, post some more pictures so that houzzers can determine the style of your home.

You have a great house and we want to follow in the right direction.

2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 8:19PM
svessland
Thank you
Ironwood- we are putting in granite countertops & replacing faucets. Just put kitchen pic in to show windows, as they are the same as LR
I would love to get ideas on color & furniture ideas for LR

Judyg -I will post some more pics of the LR soon
I am attaching one that shows the large pocket door that leads into the space. It is a pic
Of the room when decorated by former owners.
Also attaching pic of outside of house which leads me to believe the house is English Tudor.
What does everyone else think??
Thank you for your comments
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:09AM
svessland
From the online decorating personality tests my style is "cozy casual". I love different shades of whites, creamy, buttery tones but also like greens, aquas, and considering going with a deep purple dining room with cream & white accents. One room at a time..lol the LR. Pictures will be my first of 9 rooms, so ideas please??
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:23AM
bdennison
for creamy buttery tones, check out this room for inspiration. the colors look so soothing with the dark wood.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:49AM
Lumber Liquidators
I love the idea of deep purple! Definitely cozy. If it seems like it would be too much you could always do an accent wall, too. I also like tan/cream/beige, etc. and if you painted those neutral colors you could decorate with pretty much any accent colors you want. Pillows, blankets, curtains in blue or green would be pretty.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 8:33AM
Tumble Creek Interior Design
I am sooo in love with your house. I'm sure you know this but be careful in everything you do to respect the style of the home. Renovations that revive all that beautiful character and attention to detail rather than compete by introducing today's trends is always best. Lucky for you a lot of those same details are featured today and are easy to get. I actually love your kitchen cabinetry. I would do a very simply timeless countertop like possibly a black slate or soapstone (something solid and matte) with a stainless steel sink and a vintage style faucet with simple subway tile backsplash. I'm attaching a plumbing idea .... In those homes it was all about the details. You didn't have to go crazy or showy for the beauty to be heard. It spoke for itself in the craftsmanship and attention to details. I can help more with your living room but I'm just thinking : respect the scale of the room, absolutely do draperies to soften all the wood and keep your furniture not too matchy/matchy - eclectic - so it will feel as if you have heritage and history with that amazing home. If you want specific furniture ideas let me know and I'll gather some pictures. I'm so excited for you and your beautiful find!! Congratulations!!
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 7:11PM
svessland
Thank you! I am in love with it too!
I definitely plan to respect the style & history of the house.
I would like to use colors that were originally used. The windows and doors are so amazing. They are all matching and all original
I like the idea of soapstone countertops & love your faucet idea.
I would like to use new furniture along with antique pieces. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:28PM
Tumble Creek Interior Design
I'll spend a little more time when I have it ... But for a quick direction, I also lean toward a very casual design style ... So if you like leather .... Maybe an eclectic mix and match of pieces like the ones I'm attaching. I'm envisioning a muted tone low pile wool rug like one from restoration hardware ... And possibly a tufted fabric bench to use as a "coffee table" ... A blend of texture, soft muted earthy tones, and fabrics to transition gently and softly from all the beautiful hardwood.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 9:48PM
Tumble Creek Interior Design
Or here's another rug option and a lamp ... :) have fun!
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 10:02PM
svessland
Love the ideas! Thank you!
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 4:33AM
apple_pie_order
I suggest you get the hardwood floors refinished before moving in. Also, the fireplace looks like it's had some trouble in the past because smoke traces are visible; you will need a chimney professional to evaluate its safety before using it.

The house is truly lovely.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 6:23AM
svessland
Thank you
We are lucky to have 2 friends who own a floor refinishing business and are refinishing all the floors in the house. We are also replacing the fireplace screen nd the chimney he just had a visit from the local chimney sweep and found dot be problem free !
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 6:29AM
Empty wall
Looking for a creative way to fill this wall space....
Fixture color
Would you always use bright chrome in a black and white...
remodeling entire house small house. Bedrom cloths + shoe closet
The closet space is almost 8 ft long. I have a choice...
Kitchen window treatments
We have finally wrapped up our kitchen remodel!! Yeah!!...
need help for my hallway
I need help with my hallway,it is 20 ft long,4ft wide.The...