Any creative input on how to decorate this room?
alloutjl
February 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
It is a brand new open concept town home where the Living Room, Kitchen and Dining room are all as one. Every house I've seen with similar layouts look identical to one another. Is there any way to make this space look unique and original (Laying out Furniture, TV, Tables, Lighting, etc).

A few notes:
1) Pot lighting is an option, but is it necessary with all the variety of different style track lighting?
2) For flooring, we are currently considering Tile throughout the main floor to help enhance and make the open concept space seem larger. Hardwood is also an option, however hardwood in the kitchen and front foyer does not feel practical (we live in an area with lots of rain and snow throughout the year).
3) Considering placing the TV above the fireplace (in the center) however, we see this style everywhere. Any suggestions on how to make this TV wall different from the rest.

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angiesearle
On the TV wall you could put sliding doors in front of it so you could hide the tv whenever you want to! You can order tracks for that from www.basincustom.com it would look really cool!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 10:21PM
alloutjl
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know if want the TV to necessarily be the central focal point of the entire open room.

Judging by your other comments, I think you work for that website.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 10:26PM
PRO
Dytecture
Most builders' floor plan only allow the furniture to be arranged a certain way.

The size of this room is too narrow for the TV above fireplace. The TV probably goes on the left wall between the kitchen and sliding door, while the main seating arrangement on the right next to the dining area.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:58AM
eunypoo
I have almost the exact size room and struggling with the layout. I agree with Dytecture on putting the TV on the left because the room is too narrow for the TV to be placed above the fireplace. Dytecture, do you think the main seating area will be too far back? The room is 21'4". Would you be able to split the room in half and put a dining room on the right hand side?
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 7:04AM
alloutjl
With 12'6" to the fireplace wall, I wouldn't say that is too narrow of a space to place the TV on the back wall (where the fireplace is located). In addition, furniture could be positioned perpendicularly to the back wall to open up a walk-way into the living area.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:15PM
alloutjl
Eunypoo, there is already a designated dining space area (shown in the 2nd uploaded picture). Initially I was considering place the kitchen table by the backyard doors and then using the space combined from the right side of the living area and original dining area as one main living area.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:19PM
alloutjl
Any other ideas?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:19PM
PRO
TVCoverUps
If you have 12'6" to the back wall, I agree you could definitely place the TV above the fireplace. If you don't want the focal point to be the TV, you might want to try TVCoverUps. Artwork or panel instead adds to the room's decor until it swings upward to reveal the hidden TV. It comes in automatic or manual lifts and also allows for TV tilting hardware. Each unit is custom to the viewer and the room, so it is always best to give us a call.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
It's All About The Details!
It's all about the details in this 5 bedroom, 5 1/2...
DESIGN DISASTER! GRANITE AND TILE DON"T MATCH!
We have spend $$$ totally remodeling our master bath...
What flooring to use?
We have had a living room added onto our house...will...
Addition help! Entertainment space vs split bedroom plan
We are adding approximately 700 sq ft to our ranch...
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™