Living room furniture placement
Shannon
I recently painted my house two different light shades of grey, you can't tell the color in the photographs. I posted a while ago and was struggling with choosing a color and style. I came to the realization that I really enjoy simple, clean and modern with a splash of eclectic. Right now, I am slowly starting to add color to my plain pallet with pillows on my couch. I picked out the material and am now trying to figure out furniture placement and ideas to warm up the space. It is a split level home that opens up into the kitchen, decorating has been a challenge because of this. The floor changes from hardwood to ceramic tile in the kitchen.
Shannon
I do not have those curtains up anymore but the furniture placement is the same
February 13, 2013 at 7:13am   
Shannon
More views
February 13, 2013 at 7:14am   
Shannon
The most recent photograph is the one with the couch pillows. My walls have been painted, so disregard the wall color in most of the photographs. My color is greys, blacks, whites, blues and greens. I really enjoy clean and simple. I was thinking of warming my coffee table up by removing the glass tops and staining wood - something like this below.
February 13, 2013 at 7:16am   
Shannon
I also recently got these lamps for my end tables
February 13, 2013 at 7:17am   
Lumber Liquidators
I love grey and blue together! And those floors are gorgeous! Looks like you're doing pretty well so far. Grey is a great modern choice that seems to be very popular right now. Simple but not plain white. Good job!
February 13, 2013 at 8:15am   
Liza Jane Interiors
What about angling the sofas with the TV?
February 13, 2013 at 11:53am   
Shannon
What do you mean?
February 13, 2013 at 12:02pm   
tennisanyone
I finally found your post. Can you take a few more pictures of the entire space in one frame. I thik you have your couch on the low wall right? I am off to a garden/flower show but will get back to you later or tonight after you post the pictures.
February 16, 2013 at 6:08am   
Shannon
Thanks!! See below - these are the most recent.
February 16, 2013 at 4:10pm   
Shannon
See below
February 16, 2013 at 4:17pm   
Shannon
More views
February 16, 2013 at 4:18pm   
tennisanyone
First let me just say that you have a very nice place. What I would do is move the couch under the window facing into the room and the coffee table in that direction too. and maybe the end tables will fit on either side of the couch too with those pretty lamps. I like the lamps. Next move, the love seat first try it on the small wall and move the tv down to the right of the other window but keep it on the hardwood floor. Love your floors too. See if you like this arrangement and take more pictures when you move things. I might have a different idea too. I might want to see the tv under the window and then you can add drapes to that window also. Like framing it in. Not sure about that yet. Right now your back is away from everyone who enters up the stairs and the kitchen. I would like to just reorient the room.
February 16, 2013 at 5:33pm   
Shannon
Thank you so much!! It doesn't seem to be working - because I have a couch and a love seat - not a sectional - where they meet when next to each other like that looks off.. Hmm
February 17, 2013 at 1:40pm   
tennisanyone
Did you take a picture? OK, try the couch facing into th room and the love seat on the other side under that window with an end table in the corner where the tv is and the othr end table on the right of the love seat. Try the tv on the small wall and then take a picture. We will get it right.
February 17, 2013 at 1:50pm   
Shannon
I tried it with the tv on the other wall and it looked off that way too - doesnt It look crammed?
February 17, 2013 at 2:02pm   
Shannon
How about this ?
February 17, 2013 at 2:21pm   
tennisanyone
It doesn't looked cramped to me. I feel like it looks better , more of a conversation/tv area. . I like it either way but I think the scale looks better with the couch on the big wall. Keep the couch on the big wall but turn the coffee table. I am bothered by the tv now but I also think that is the trade off in this space. Maybe one day you can build the wall just a tad higher if you are going to keep it. At least you can see everyone walking up the stairs and in the kitchen. Now take a picture from the stairs. A big rug would really bring this space together and another set of drapes on the small window. I know one thing at a time. Once I start, I cant't stop LOL
February 17, 2013 at 2:39pm   
tennisanyone
Another thought, if you kept the love set on the back wall, but center it under the window a bit and then move the other end table next to it but don't angle the tables. Try it that way too. Now when you come up the stairs, I think you will notice the couch area. Is the tv stand curved in the back? It looks like it from here. If so, another thought so it doesn't stick out so much is to reverse it. Put the curved side toward the front so it sits further back.
February 17, 2013 at 2:44pm   
tennisanyone
OR try the couch under the window, the loveseat on the small wall and the tv next to the window, across from the loveseat. You have so many good options in this room. I really like the new arrangement. To me, it looks more inviting. Go back and look at the before. I think it makes a big difference. Try living with it for a few days.
February 17, 2013 at 2:52pm   
Hummingbird Designs
Just a little thing ..... Bring your picture down so that the top of the picture frame is the same as the 2 windows. :)
February 17, 2013 at 2:59pm     
susan609
The sofa on the back wall seems to balance out the tv better and with the love seat on the window wall, you seem to have more breathing space. Either way, the decision to move the lamp table away from the tv was a good one.
February 17, 2013 at 3:12pm     
tennisanyone
Shannon, I looked again, and I still think the sofa on the back wall is the better layout for balance. Get one big green plant and put one next to the tv to hide the side . I think my job here is almost done : )
February 17, 2013 at 3:54pm     
Shannon
Thank you so much for everything! I lft it with the sofa on the back wall layout - and I LOVE IT! Funny you mention a green plant - i actually had a big one and moved it in that exact spot! haha.

I do plan on purchasing a rug soon - but it has to match or go along the same idea as the pattern on my pillows - because I had them specially made and i love the colors and pattern - i think finding a rug will be a challenge. My mother finishd some of my curtains yesterday (which match my pillow and I plan on hanging them up today!

You are really good at this! Thank you again! :)
February 18, 2013 at 4:31am     
tennisanyone
Your welcome Shannon. Take a picture when you are done.
February 18, 2013 at 5:31am   
rupietoot
I concur with the picture comment - it does seem very high...
February 18, 2013 at 6:00am   
tennisanyone
We didn't get to the picture yet. Still on the final arrangement.
February 18, 2013 at 6:07am   
tennisanyone
Did u hang the curtains?
February 19, 2013 at 10:52am   
Need help with living room colours and furniture placement
Hi we are totally stumped we have just moved into a...
Living Room Furniture Placement
I'm having difficulty placing my furniture, especially...
Living room Furniture Placement
I'm having difficulty arranging the furniture in our...
Living room Furniture Placement
Need help with living room furniture placement.
Re-posting hopefully with picture--- The layout...
Desperately needing a focal point
The furniture that I thought I'd lost a shot at reappeared...
update front of house / what is this called?
Wondering what type of architecture this is called....
Do we have to add tile behind stove?
Hi, We are finishing up an addition which includes...
Large Typography Wall Decor
Anyone have suggestions on DIY or affordable options...
TV is a bit wider than the fireplace
We just re-did the fireplace and planning to mount...