Need help with kitchen stuck in the 60's
Cheryl Boulanger
SO we bought this rancher that was built and stuck in the 60's. Quality house but not what we want style wise. Originally the 1/2 wall you see was a full wall that we took down to open up the space. The "front room" with the couch is unused space right now. It is the room you enter from the front door. The kitchen sits behind it and is a large space in and of itself (I believe 18X12). Need ideas badly. Should we combine the two rooms and make a huge kitchen, keep the two rooms separate? Don't even know where to start.
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I like the idea of combining the two rooms together into one big great room. You could have an island that doubles as a dining space or just put a table in the middle that serves as a dining space and a work/prep area prior to meals.
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 1:34PM
Cheryl Boulanger
Have you seen any pictures here that may reflect that idea? I'm a very visual person and need to see the concepts. I too was hoping to completely open the space. Wasn't sure if it would look funny though walking right into that from the front door.
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 1:56PM
Dezign Studio Inc
I agree, if you combine the two rooms, you can have better use of space, but before you start anything, chalk out a layout plan of how you would do it. You have two different floor finishes.
will you remove the unit , where the couch, or extend it as hutch buffet, if you remove the partition wall completely, provided it is not a load bearing wall. Planning every detail on paper along with the project cost would be good idea to start with.Good luck.
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 2:01PM
Cheryl Boulanger
We installed hard wood floors throughout much of the living space already. Were thinking we would continue that into the kitchen but we wanted to have a plan first for what we were doing (we do still have the materials to finish hardwood if we so choose). The 1/2 wall partition is there now because it differentiates the two spaces. Hence our dilemma - do we remove the wall and make it one huge room or work with the kitchen space as is, leave the 1/2 wall and keep a sitting area we aren't using?
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 2:08PM
Dezign Studio Inc
I'm not a big fan of hardwood in the kitchen, but I've heard of people who love it. For sure it would look good if you opened up. but a layout pan with dimensions would help chalk out the layout as per your requirements ? do you need an island , 36"ht with a lower ledge or ab or ht. Do you prefer a dining/breakfast table. What finish would tie in with your kitchen cabinets etc
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 2:16PM
Cheryl Boulanger
We have three boys so functionality is key. I really don't have any ideas as to where to start. We will have black appliances (need to update stove and dishwasher) and we want to keep the farmers sink. Do NOT like white.
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 2:47PM
Dezign Studio Inc
Hi this is just a rough sketch of 1 of the many options you could have. I assumed your space is roughly 15'6' x 18' guessing from the pictures, so the layout will vary if the dimensions vary.. Have added a partition wall between the main entrance and the proposed kitchen/eating area.Not sure if the sketch would come out clear.Will try.
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 3:43PM
Dezign Studio Inc
Sorry , will try again.
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 4:02PM
Cheryl Boulanger
I like that idea.... main exit though would be at the top of that picture not to the left (as that is where it is now). Where you have it labeled "main exit" is where we open into our great room/living room area.
I re-measured quickly (so not 100% accurate) but the current front room is about 11X17 and the kitchen is about 11X17 to the wall where the small TV is (not including the current pantry area and stairway up to the attic space).
    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 11:06AM
Dezign Studio Inc
Perfect ! This plan would still work with the island rotated the other way around. The 5' would be parallel to the Hutch/buffet - TV. Also the Island could be 6'. This way you have more room between the island and unit. You would still need to work on a lot of the details, but the basic plan would work.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 11:24AM
Help update my 60s kitchen!
Hi we just moved into my boyfriends grandmas house...
Deandra Stachura
Help update my 60s kitchen!
Deandra Stachura
'60's house - designing NEW kitchen
Our house was built in '61. We are preparing to gut...
debradufford
Stuck in the 60's...need help with TV room makeover.
My husband and I now own his parents house that was...
ConnieQ
Foyer steps stuck in the 60s! Need some ideas!
We bought our house about a year ago. I've been fixing...
fikus418
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
How many cushions for my sofa?
I'm thinking of ordering an 86" custom sofa (picture...
shal1217
Refinishing my Multi-function basement - Man cave
I am renovating my basement and am having trouble selecting...
John Irizarry
need RUG ideas to go with my light grey sofa and blue curtains...?
My earlier post outlined the problems I had when I...
fredsmommy
I have a very large Foyer and Im not quite sure how to decorate it.
I have this very large foyer and Im not sure how to...
Danielle Johnson