Solutions for painted brick - exterior of house
Elizabeth Kelleher
Hello design friends. We just bought a house that was originally red brick but the previous owner painted just the front (and a tiny bit on the left side) of the house white. We are in a bind - do we repaint the entire house a different color (softer white or gray), try to get white paint off, rebrick (try to match brick) or is there another option? I really do like the glaze effect I see on some original red brick houses, but just not sure how to go about it. Would love any ideas. Picture attached.
hparks74
Wow interesting, I hope he didn't fall off the ladder and that is why he quit painting. Lol. Your house is a lovely base for a grand vision. I'm getting ready to paint my red brick home. I know a lot people say don't paint brick but here in the south I swear ever home built before 1955 had the same red brick.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 2:48PM
hparks74
What state is your home
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 2:49PM
Try to work with the front of the house first. This picture I am attaching shows a very attractive house. Sometimes you can't see the forest….

0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 2:49PM
Elizabeth Kelleher
We are in Texas - so definitely see alot of painted brick houses. I like the red/white glaze JudyG - do you know how one goes about doing that? My concern is that it's too late for that process. Not sure if stripping off some of the white would damage the porous brick.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 2:52PM
Ironwood Builders
For the example in judyg's picture, we prep the brick by dusting it with lime powder first. The paint is applied and then the house is washed to achieve the "whitewashed" look. The lime acts as a release agent and lets the brick show through. Matching your brick may be possible....ohh, but so hard and very expensive. Try wire brushing and power washing the existing painted brick and see if they did any prep to the surface..with the partially painted exterior, I doubt it. You may be able to replicate judyg's look if prep was not done. If things stick well, even moderately well, it will be less expensive to paint the entire exterior over again...just had this discussion on another thread...trading in zero maintenance for certain maintenance.

There is one other way, maybe two. There is stripper called Peel-away we used to use for brick...hideously expensive and highly corrosive...hazmat stuff...pros only folks, please, it will eat your arm off! A go round with that may get you the "whitewash" look and save some heartache. maintenance on the distressed finish goes back to zero. And then you can sand blast. Your brick looks to be a high fired hard brick, but the sand blaster will tell you if it will work to clean out all the old paint. Probably not all all...but then you are back at lest to something that won't fall of in a few years.

Best of Luck!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:03PM
should I paint the house exterior brick white
We love the color white. This house looks outdated...
Painting exterior trim on brick house
Currently offwhite trim on exterior of home. Some...
need help selecting exterior paint color to compliment all brick house
Painted areas are around front door, front door and...
Should I paint the brick on the exterior of my house?
The exterior of our new house needs a face lift on...
Need help with exterior paint color on house with brick wainscoting.
My inspiration for our exterior colors is the Bon Ton...
Awkward Living Room
My LR needs an update and I'm beginning with a new...
Bar stool questions
Are these barstools okay or should I use something...
How do I start?
I have a master bedroom that hasn't been touched in...
Backsplash help!!!
Hi my kitchen is all done except backsplash and paint....
I am bored with my room. It's a rental what else can I do?
I love color but bored with my rental the space doesn't...