STUCK...Entryway...Need suggestion

Jennifer Monahan LindquistFebruary 13, 2013
Hi everyone!

My husband and I moved into our 1st house about two years ago, and its taken me this long to get this far with our entryway...now I am stuck. The front door opens up into the great room, and the transition of tile to carpet on the same wall has me stumped. Also suggestions for finishing off my console table would be appreciated. I wouldn't mind losing the mirror or making it more interesting somehow, and I would rather not do lamps. Since we have a sofa table adjacent with lamps.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcomed!!

Thank you,

Jennifer
Aja Mazin
I see no problem with the transition of tile to carpet.
It is meant to define 2 separate areas.

The console table is a bit large for the area and the mirror is off center.

The red container is throwing the area off balance.

Could you post a few more photos?
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 6:05PM
Jennifer Monahan Lindquist
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 6:18PM
Douglas Beard
Do a floating shelf over the transition between the carpet and tile to take up most of the wall, leave a drop zone for keys and cell phones, and if you did something like the shelf I have attached (in your own style) you could have some extra storage space for things you would need there - winter articles, umbrellas, whatever. I would purchase a larger mirror and hang it the same orientation as the shelf, width-centric and line it up with the top of the archway you have there...or do a lively art installation.. Have ideas but am rambling at this point...and top it off with some statement accessories.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 6:22PM
Douglas Beard
Now that I see the mirrored closet doors I would either replace them or go with an art installation. Remove the sign above your door and place it somewhere else and replace your chandelier with something a little more current.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 6:26PM
Oh my, I do see your problem with the tile/carpet transition! The console is not working so well because of its size which looks like it wants to move to the right but can't because of the tile being there. So I'd change the console to a 36" wide chest. And I can't believe that your sofa table with lamps is so close that you couldn't use a lamp at the entry!

A painting over the chest would add interest.
Courtney · More Info
Gretchen · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 6:29PM
Aja Mazin
What a lovely space!!

I love the mirrored doors.

They have great untapped potential!

Let me think about this.
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 6:31PM
Misty Doherty
Want a little something for your wall try a decal.
get rid of vase, the mirror frame is to bulky, and what is that red thing?
http://shopfor.uppercaseliving.net
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 6:31PM
Judy M
I think you were attempting to create the appearance of a separation between the room and the entry.
If that was the intent then you need to place a small table (demilune perhaps) with art above it and maybe a small lamp, on the tile, to the right of where you have the table now.
I would not place a mirror above the small table I am suggesting because you have the mirror doors on opposite side.
    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 5:27AM
Could you try a quick test which MIGHT work? Throw a large rug/carpet one flagstone in from the entrance and halfway into the carpet - leaving one flagstone width on each side. (If you don't have a carpet to hand try a flat bedsheet just to see this visually). This might help to hide the transition. If this works (I don't know if you would feel a difference in footstep etc, visually blah blah blah), then rearrange your furniture using the carpet as your entrance zone.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 5:36AM
Jayme H.
Maybe try to move table a few inches to the left-too close to edge of carpet (or get a smaller table)...get a different (round?) mirror...Put an area rug in the entry...nice home, good luck! The red piece is somewhat calling attention to the floors. Maybe a smaller scale, chair with some vertical height next to table?
1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 5:44AM
kathy
Not quite what you are asking about, but my pet peeve is not having enough capeted space to step onto as I come into a house. And I'm thinking of when several people come in at once, the family plus doggie, after a wet, muddy walk home from school. So obviously I want you to get a bigger rug for entry area on tiles. Leave approximately 1/2 tile border all around - or at least widthwise from door to broadloom carpet. Doesn't have to be expensive - but easily vacuumed or shaken out.

And I would think about moving the entry seating - your stools or a bench onto the tile - if the stools are for sitting while putting on your boots, you don't want to do that on your carpet.

Just a few ideas to think about
have fun
    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 6:05AM
Liza Jane Interiors
Jennifer, because you have mirrored closet doors, I would remove the mirror over the console and replace with a fabulous piece of art. As others have mentioned, I would choose a smaller table/console and rework the accessories.
    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 6:09AM
Jayme H.
Good idea LizaJane...didn't notice the mirrored doors!
    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 6:21AM
brooklynn
A chest would be a nice idea, but if you want the table there, move it slightly to the left and not at the edge of the carpet. You can create a picture collage over the chest with a large rectangle picture to the right where the tile is creating balance. Then, a grouping of candles would look nice.
    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 7:10AM
brooklynn
I was thinking hurricane candles!
    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 10:17AM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I think you should get a console table that doesn't exceed the width of your tile. I like your little ottomans-keep those . Do two lamps a round mirror, some accessories.....you could even do a great wallpaper just for the entry way to separate the area and designate it more--
1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 10:22AM
Blinds Max
Have you considered a different piece of furniture there? Perhaps a gorgeous stand-alone closet for your coats, umbrellas etc. It's a convenient spot.
    Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 10:27AM
Cat Rowe
See my Idea book called Foyer for loads of ideas. I would replace the mirrored doors with louvers and put a smaller table on the tile with a mirror above, or a vintage Hall tree
    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 7:35PM
Kitchen layout help...
We are planning a kitchen renovation and I'm trying...
elleannie
Narrow bathroom vanity light?
Hi all! I only have about 10" to work with above...
eesmerelda
Low Shower Curb Design - Aging in place
I am planning a shower remodel for a second floor master...
homecrew
What are the best carpet and pad options for radiant heat floors
We have installed stone over most of the radiant heat...
jyoull
Painting over the fireplace: is it too small?
Please help me decide! Should I find a bigger painting...
irenale