Your Ideas for Our Front Porch
rooanddoo
Hello,

My wife and I would like to spruce up the look of our front porch. The flat roof was added on by a prior homeowner. Right now we think it looks a bit dull and could use some design help.

Do you have any ideas on how to improve the look - paint colors, trim ideas, etc? Looking to do inexpensive fixes at first.

Also, still going back and forth on black trim on corbels and some of the trim on the rest of house. You guys think it works, or do you think there would be a better color for the accent areas like the corbels and trim?

Liza Jane Interiors
This may not be the cheapest fix but I would take the porch all across the front of the house and add a proper A line roof. I would make the colums larger. I like the black with the taupe.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 7:41AM
carole
absolutly agree with making a full lenght decking and roof,to have a veranda!!but not so sure it should be a A line,i would follow the slope of the roof behind(but you have to check if it is enough for the water to flow away!!i)
   February 14, 2013 at 7:49AM
DIAspoton
black shutters. a bright red hanging basket on the porch. i hope those are FAST growing foundation plantings. talk with local nurseries for suggestions on plants for the sidewalk strips.
   February 14, 2013 at 7:54AM
rooanddoo
Thanks for the comments!

Great idea on roof, though we unfortunately can't afford to add on to roof so just looking for simple ideas to improve the look.

Please send more ideas!

Thanks.
   February 14, 2013 at 1:05PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
The white trim is TOO stark..paint it the corbel color. Also agree about extending the porch across the front..but make sure it is level.
   February 14, 2013 at 1:51PM
toni1959
Adorable house! Just place two window boxes onto the 2 large windows in the front!. So to give the front entrance more appeal think about tiling the steps! I see you have started planting good move. Also you might want to add another box over the front railing, but not as large as the ones for the two main windows. Maybe down the road a beautiful trellis as your coming up the walkway and possibly a bench in front of the two large windows.
   February 14, 2013 at 2:05PM
ManLand LandMan
Nice and clean : )
   February 14, 2013 at 2:20PM
ManLand LandMan
faux stone for the foundation would do you great things!
   February 14, 2013 at 2:21PM
rooanddoo
Thanks again, everyone.

Barbara - are you mainly referring to the railings being white, or the whole front porch posts and all? Can you specify a bit more?

Keep the ideas coming, please. :)
   February 14, 2013 at 4:15PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would paint ALL white trim the dark color. The edge of roof line, the corners of the house, the squares around the windows..all white. Try it on Photoshop to see how it would look.
   February 15, 2013 at 8:14AM
rooanddoo
Interesting idea, Barbara. We have a white picket fence out front so that has been reasoning for keeping trim white..Also, since we have a small house do you think it would make it seem smaller?

Appreciate the ideas.
   February 15, 2013 at 8:52AM
Barbara Griffith Designs
Try looking at it in Photoshop. Right now all we really see is the white trim..and it really stands out, but in reality there is not that much of it compared to the surface of the house, it will just calm it down. The fence can certainly remain white..but after you change the house trim, you may like the look and continue it onto the fence. It will certainly not look smaller..it may even look larger because of the cohesiveness of the its appearance.
   February 15, 2013 at 9:08AM
rooanddoo
Thanks again. Too bad my fence is vinyl so painting is not an option but maybe it wouldn't matter.

Also, what do you think of trying a lighter tan for trim, a few shades down from the house color (quiver tan -sherwin williams)?
   February 15, 2013 at 9:11AM
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think quiver tan would work just fine. You can see how nice the corbel color looks with everything, it is because it is darker.
   February 15, 2013 at 9:16AM
Barbara Griffith Designs
What shade is your house..Relaxed Khaki?
   February 15, 2013 at 9:22AM
rooanddoo
Our house is quiver tan now. You think relaxed khaki would look good on trim?
   February 15, 2013 at 10:02AM
rooanddoo
Also, what do you think about paint matching the cedar stain color in peak and utilizing that somewhere else on the house to tie in the peak Orange-Brown color?

Thanks.
   February 15, 2013 at 10:14AM
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think the Relaxed Khaki could work with Quiver Tan. I would not use the cedar shade as I think you need something different. I still, however favor the black or whatever the color is of the corbels partly because it would look really great with your roof color which should be taken into consideration. I think the darker shade it the answer. Can you print a color picture of your house and just color them in with a pen?
   February 15, 2013 at 10:27AM
aniluap2
I don't think the white is such a problem it is the scale of the porch, columns and balustrades that are off. If you can't afford to extend the porch t would box in the columns and beef up the balustrades to make them more substantial because right now they look a little wimpy. You could even switch out the railing with lattice, to echo the arbor, and top it with a beefier top trim. Since you have the Pickett fence it establishes a cottagey look for the house and I would keep the trim color to match that. I would put some shutters on the 2 large front and side windows ( each shutter should be 1/2 the size of the window width and as tall, attached with hinges and held back with shutter dogs) google this old house for guide to shutters. Put window boxes on all three front windows. Paint your shutters black and all the other trim including the shutters white. Paint or use opaque stain to match the cedar shutters to the siding so the house appears taller. I would put slate tile on the front steps ( pretty cheap at home depot). Paint you front door whatever color strikes your fancy Put in some shrubs and a few flowers and Voila! You have a charming cottage. Just my vision...
   February 15, 2013 at 10:39AM
rooanddoo
Great ideas, thanks.

Aniluap2 - a few questions - when you say "Paint your shutters black and all the other trim including the shutters white". Do you mean paint the inside of the shutters (louvers?) black and the trim around the shutters/louvers paint white? Black on inside, white around the edges of shutters?

Also, when you say - "Paint or use opaque stain to match the cedar shutters to the siding so the house appears taller". Can you clarify what you mean by cedar shutters? Are you talking about putting shutters over the vent in the peak and matching the shutters to house color? Or, are you saying paint cedar shakes the house color? The shakes are actually Nichiha fiber cement pre-finished shakes so not sure how they would do with paint on them as they have some clear finish on them now?

February 15, 2013 at 1:20PM
aniluap2
Sorry, did not catch my typos until you pointed them out. Auto correct on my iPad is a blessing and a curse....I meant paint all the trim white including the corbels and just have the shutters black or even some other color that you fancy, like hunter green or French blue. I meant paint the cedar shake the same color as the body of the house since it just doesn't seem to tie in with anything else. However if it can't be painted maybe you need to think about introducing some more of that wood color maybe put in some natural wood window boxes,stained the color of the shake, paint the white trim on the sides of the house,and between the siding and the shake,the same color as the siding so that the siding and shake are not "boxed off" separately. I would leave the rest of the trim white to tie in with the picket fence. Hope that clarifies things...
   February 15, 2013 at 8:49PM
rooanddoo
Very helpful, thanks!
   February 16, 2013 at 9:36AM
Looking for ideas to provide updates to our front porch.
The porch is about 12 years old, but it was not properly...
Want to renovate our front porch- no idea where to start!
Do we need an architect or just a good contractor?...
Need ideas for our front porch
Help! I really need help improving the curb appeal...
Need ideas for our new house with a non-typical cape cod front porch
We recently bought our new house and need to repair...
How to get the look I want for my living room/kitchen
Hello! I am looking for some help with my living...
Choosing a carpet color
I have another post about complimentary fabrics to...
Kitchen back splash area not level
Just installed new cabinets and granite counter top...
Help finishing my formal "piano" room
Here's what I have so far (in pics). I'm stumped on...
What color looks better with the pavers?
From left to right 1-4. I've enclosed an additional...