How to decorate a conservatory?
NEV S
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just bought a new house, open concept. There is a dinning room, living and a conservatory. I have atteched the floor plan. Really need help on furniture placement or just how to design it in general. Help. Any suggestion would be useful thanks.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
Not sure if you have a piano...but a baby grand would be fabulous!
February 14, 2013 at 9:46AM     
thethistle
Conservatories are lovely! You can either make them super comfy or that elegant place to drink tea or coffee or whatever you like with your guests. It should have lots of light, and traditionally plants are grown there. It's your choice if you want to do that.
Here are some ideas.
2009 Southern Accents Showhome
Caterpillar House
Conservatory
A Well Designed Conservatory
February 14, 2013 at 9:48AM     
libradesigneye
Typically a conservatory is a glass walled room that people fill with plants and outdoor worthy furnishings - historically they were available in cold climates to grand homes so the special gardens could be brought inside to overwinter, but also furnished so people could read and sit and take sun there. Given your floor plan, and the lack of windows in this space, I can see this is not the case here. They have used that word to describe a space that for you has multiple functions and uses. Seeing the rest of the home layout, I would turn this back to your own personal preferences and needs and ask some questions -

Are you book people? If so, I would like the walls with floor to ceiling bookshelves, add two - four reading wing chairs with ottomans and a pretty desk under the front window.
Are you music people? Add a grand piano, some music stands, listening chairs, performance stools for voice and voila - this might require adding doors to the openings - the multiple openings make the room less functional since you can walk through it.
Do you need a home office? Add glass french doors to both openings to the other rooms, add nice home office furnishings plus chairs for visitors.

What is the thing you would like to do as a hobby if you had a dedicated space? Some people would turn this into a model train room with a big display, or an art room, with easels, ledges for art around the space, flat cabinets for paper and new work, art supplies, craft tools, .

It is a first impression space in your home, so it does need to be thoroughly / nicely done - but that doesn't mean it should be without purpose.

Don't hesitate to add doors back to the foyer and take down the "decorative columns" (move to the transition from dining to family?) to add doors between the living room and this space. Read Susan Susanka's thoughts on the "away space" on her website or take out one of her books at the library. Since everything else in this home is completely open to the next space, it would be useful to have a room that has sound control (i.e. doors). Unless the thing you are using it for is something you want to hear throughout the house . . . for instance . . .

Depending upon the age of your children or grandchildren, this could be your dedicated place for all things small - recreate those lovely playrooms seen in the catalogs with chalkboards and low tables and cubbies for fabulous toys. Cover the walls with decopauged maps, and hang curtains at the doorways as well as the front window - for everyday, keep these swagged back at both openings - put an inexpensive but colorful Ikea play rug down. Hang a solar system mobile, add cozy reading chairs in all sizes.

Form follows function is an old maxim - so long as the room is done well to be what function you want, it will be delightful in this location.
February 14, 2013 at 9:54AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The looks in the pictures above say more than I could. Have fun what a great room to have.
February 14, 2013 at 10:03AM     
NEV S
To LizaJane, unfortunately, I do not have a piano but I was considering your idea from day 1. I really do like that idea. Thanks
February 14, 2013 at 10:12AM   
NEV S
Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions, but love to hear more ideas.
February 14, 2013 at 10:13AM   
trebinje
Most of the homes around us have large conservatories, and the majority of those rooms have been furnished as a den for the husband ... a refuge with big screen TV, fireplace, library-style bookshelves, a wine/wet bar and comfy seating. Basically, a very elegant Man Cave. Many of these men are Dad's with small children and they reserve this room for Adults Only, which is a real luxury in most homes. Be sure to allow closing off the space with a door(s).
February 14, 2013 at 10:15AM   
More Discussions
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
is this rug too busy?
Should i just get a simple rug and add color with pillows?...
Hallways
Our home is fairly open with large entances into hallways...
Need Help on Window Treatment Options
I would love some input on which window treatment style...
These Bare Bones Need Some Life!
This is our bedroom - a lovely large open space with...
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™