Paint for interior doors
caroldean1
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am considering painting my interior doors black. My house is very traditional and about 15 years old. All interior trim is white. What type of paint would be best....flat, egg shell,gloss, satin, etc? Any helpful thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Granite Grannies
Not sure about the paint type, but I love black doors! They will looks great against white trim. Post before and after pictures when you are finished!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:31AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Either match the sheen of the trim or go one step more glossy. Stay away from high gloss though, really tough to keep looking good on a door. So...satin trim, satin or semi-gloss door. Eggshell trim..eggshell or satin door. Only my opinion! not a hard and fast rule!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:35AM
Christine
Black is beautiful as long as you are consistent all the way and have the oppositional white to balance it off. I like semi-gloss or even satin but remember that black is very unforgiving so be sure to get all the little nicks and dust removed.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:35AM
caroldean1
Thanks....all advice and opinions are appreciated! Has anyone actually done this?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:51AM
trebinje
Yes, we recently painted all interior doors a satin black and are very pleased with the results, an instant makeover & freshening of the home. We changed out & upgraded all the hardware to match as well. We left the trims white.

The biggest challenge was finding the right black and after numerous mis-fires (too blue, too purple, too green), roundtrips to the paint store and suggestions from Houzzers, settled on SW Caviar, which in our home reads as a black with a dark espresso undertone. Exactly what we wanted, finally.

Do it! You won't believe the transformation!

There are several blogs on the topic, Google it. Here's just one that I found helpful: http://southernhospitalityblog.com/painting-interior-doors-black/
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:27AM
caroldean1
Wonderful advice and thanks for the links....they are great! Also thanks for sharing the paint color, I will check it out. I never thought that the tone or depth would matter, so I am learning a lot!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:59AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Black paint can really show brush marks. If it's in your budget to do so, I would have a professional come in and spray the doors.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 11:27AM