Island width confusion
peter279
we have 164" wide u shape kitchen. what you think how wide can we make island .
Eagledzines
Allow 25 1/2" for counters. If you have counters on each side that would be 25 1/2" + 25 1/2". Allow 36" minimum walkspace between counter and island. Major walk way through to another room--allow 42-48". More if there are chairs coming into the area. Your refrigerator door should be able to open all the way. If you have a refrigerator with one door it will need more room than if you have a refrigerator with two doors. If you have a counter depth French door refrigerator, allowance will be different for that also. So figure out how much room you need for your refrigerator with the door open at 90 degrees. If that is going in a space between the counter and the island, than widen the 36" to fit. When you figure out the width of your island from that information, subtract 3" for the overhang of the island countertop and then you will have the width of the island.

If you need more help figuring this out, please post a sketch with overall dimensions, and doors and windows so we can assist you further.
February 14, 2013 at 7:46pm     
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Approx 40 inches max. That's countertop width not cabinet width. completely agree with the above dimensions. Bar seating on one end only if desired or if appropriate space allows. 2 stools max.
February 14, 2013 at 8:05pm     
peter279
I increased my kitchen size from 12'8" to 13'8" and reduce the pantry size by 1 feet. so now my kitchen is 13 feet and 8 inches wide. please suggest me the island dimensions now.thanks.
February 14, 2013 at 8:23pm   
peter279
on one wall is counterdepth two door fridge and wall oven.
February 14, 2013 at 8:24pm   
bojaby
Before you construct the island create a barrier with boxes or other items to cover the space it will take. I did this and finally figured out that I was sick of walking around it to get to my cupboards and appliance on the other side. I also realized if I had my dishwasher or oven door open I blocked anyone's access to the kitchen. I am not saying you will not want a island but you will give yourself a chance to change the size or shape before it is too late.
February 14, 2013 at 8:40pm     
Mega Builders
Use the guideline noted above.
At the minimum consider 36" all around the island.
If more than a single cook will use the kitchen at the same time, consider 42" a minimum clearance.
Anything less than above clearances will undermine the use of your kitchen.
Island width is a simple math from there...
Good luck!
February 14, 2013 at 9:12pm   
peter279
thanks a lot guys.
February 15, 2013 at 5:48am     
peter279
this is the layout.
February 15, 2013 at 5:52am   
peter279
i am trying to attach it but i dont know what going on ?
February 15, 2013 at 5:53am   
AMN
It has to be in JPEG format. No other format is accepted in the forum.
February 15, 2013 at 5:54am   
peter279
Here it is
February 15, 2013 at 6:18am   
peter279
yhis is showing 12;8" but i reduce pantry by one foot and make kitchen 13'8". so please help me on is;land now. one wall is just frudge and walloven. thanks.
February 15, 2013 at 6:20am   
peter279
so from 164 if i take away 26 for countertops on side and 27 for fidge on tha other side. leave 36 inches space on side and 40 inches on other side. i am left with 36 inches so is this ok to make island 35 inchjes wide.
February 15, 2013 at 7:54am   
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Consider this. If the cabinets underneath are 36 inches your countertop will be a bit wider. 39" +- How are you creating the Island. Standard cabinet boxes or furniture type?
February 15, 2013 at 8:54am   
Eagledzines
Thank you for posting a sketch. That makes it much easier.

With the plan you have submitted (if you have one cook),

If your cabinets are custom made, your island should be 30 1/4", plus a ¼” back The countertop on the island would be 33 ½”.

If you are using standard box sizes, depending on the cabinet line, you can get semi-custom cabinets built for the island to make the cabinets 30 1/4", then add your ¼” back. If you use just a standard cabinet box line, go with 24" cabinets plus your ¼” back and then use the same counter (33 ½) but brace it underneath on the side with the larger overhang—the fridge side.

The side where the sink is would 36" from countertop to countertop. The other side would be 42" inches (no less) because that is the main walk area between the diningroom and the hallway coming into the kitchen.

The area between the stove and the island could also be 36". (In this plan there is no room for seating at the island.)

I can see why you didn't put the fridge on the stove wall because of the length of the wall between the pantry hallway and the countertop, but you will find that you will be walking around the island to get the fridge a lot. It would more convenient to at least put it on the opposite end of the pantry wall where it is now and put a refrigerator panel on the left.

Best wishes on your project!
February 15, 2013 at 9:18am     
How would you separate the bed from the rest of the room?
The photos are of the same area but taken from different...
Tractenberg & Co Public Relation
Tractenberg & Co Public Relation President Jacquie...
Can't decide on a backsplash with a busy granite
I have a busy granite ( Mokoro ) ( geriba ) Is a busy...
Let's play with my living room...
Hello,any suggestions for my living , choice of colour,all...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...