Interior door that provides light and privacy...ugh
jbuckley100
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are considering adding an in-law suite, but the only place to build will result in losing the only south-facing window in our living room. It was suggested that we replace the window with a glass (French?) door, and make sure that the newly-built sitting room has south-facing windows directly behind it (about 20' from the current window). BUT - the new inhabitant's furniture/decor is quite different from ours, and we'll both want privacy, so we're trying to get the light-benefit of glass without the downside of two styles that don't match. Glass that obscures seems to also cut down dramatically on light, and at least one party objects to any leading in the glass. ANY ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Skylights? You are correct, obscure glass does cut down the light, What about interior transoms? If there is enough wall height, a glass system of obscure glass doors and transom above could add more light. Post some pictures and a floor plan and we'll all brainstorm the problem with you!
February 14, 2013 at 11:03pm     
PRO
ASVInteriors
Looks like you have a tricky situation here. I have no idea what the shape of your new build is going to be but could you try extending your corridor further down to the new build by adding a frosted glass panel and a clear glass door (French window). What you are essentially doing is keeping all the new inhabitants furniture out of line of sight between your view to the window.
Stabbing in the dark here, but just trying to find a "polite" way of keeping their furniture out of your view and your light.
In the diagram below I imagine the in-law suite, with your entrance door far left and then a long frosted glass panel that extends out to make a corridor that still brings in light...
February 15, 2013 at 2:24am   
PRO
Dytecture
Do you have any photos or floor plans of the new space ? If the in-laws are moving in with you, they should consider changing their styles to work in harmony with what you have, this goes beyond design.
February 15, 2013 at 6:08am   
More Discussions
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Help us tone down natural oak color of cabinets by painting walls.
Our new home has very yellow looking oak cabinets in...
Choppy co-oop floor plan
How do you design living room given small space and...
Space for small dining room table
Hello, I need some help in deciding the style and...
Would you try temporary wallpaper?
Our office has been discussing the value of temporary...
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™