Basement flooring- white?
shakalaka
We're hoping to start working on our basement soon. Flooring is such a dilemma. Of course carpet is warm, soft, and comfy. But I love the clean look a wood floor gives to a basement. It's not as warm and basements are prone to flooding of course. We've decided against paint or stain. Here is my dream for the floor. http://www.wayfair.com/Yanchi-Stained-3-3-4-Solid-Bamboo-in-Vanilla-10057767-YAN1008.html# This, with white trim, maybe high white wainscoting and a pale warm green or blue paint. Then we would add some bright pattern rugs. Arguments against whitish wood floors?
I think you have listed the arguments: basements prone to flooding (more expensive to replace wood than carpet); hard and not comfy and soft - (rugs suffer "continental drift" over time); and although wood flooring is so much better than it used to be - carpet tends to absorb sound and be less "tinny" than wood.
The question is - how often will you be using this basement? All the time, often, rarely. If it is rarely then you can go with carpeting as your compromise. If you are dead set on the flooring, make sure you are using it enough to warrant the risk.
February 15, 2013 at 1:33am     
shakalaka
We have five kids, so it will be used a lot. It will probably have a play area, tv area, bedroom and small bath. Thanks for your response.
February 15, 2013 at 1:36am   
Have you thought about using carpet tiles? They're a DIY install, and if one gets too messed up you can just pick it up and replace it: [houzz=
]
February 15, 2013 at 3:21am     
Judy M
Check out wood look porcelain tiles, they come in all shades, light to dark.
In a basement they will be cold underfoot, you can add underfloor electric heating or add a few big inexpensive area rugs that can be tossed if they get wet or dirty.
February 15, 2013 at 5:12am     
handymam
I second the use of carpet tiles in solid colors or two colors like a checkerboard or as a border around the perimeter. The great thing is if someone spills grape juice, you can pull it up and replace just the one tile, not have to replace the whole rug. And it is a DIY project.
February 15, 2013 at 5:36am     
shakalaka
I did notice some carpet tiles as I was browsing for ideas. Thanks for the responses.
February 15, 2013 at 6:51am     
Fireplace Disaster!
Hi everyone! I am a second year law student with a...
How should I bring some life and spunk in this room?
I live in an apartment in Mumbai, Infia. Here, like...
Help! Narrow Living area with TV, Fireplace and Large windows
I am struggling with how to arrange this room now that...
Mixing woods in house
Hello, my kitchen cabinets and also floor in living...
Please help me design my barren conference room. .
I own a company where I sell and design custom websites....