advise for flooring with radiant heat
commonstwoman
We are bldg a 3 level lakehouse with radiant heat for all floors. The heating tubes are snug to the underside with 3/4" subflooring. This will be our residence year round. What would you recommend we use? Alot of natural light, open concept on main floor, vaulted ceilings, wall colors warm southwestern, lighting "mission".....thanks!
Cancork Floor Inc.
You pretty much have a blank canvas. Almost any floor can go down over this type of in-floor heating. The only one I'm not sure about is solid hardwood. I will leave that the the hardwood experts to answer.

Of course I will recommend cork, but that's not your only option. You can go tile (takes a lot of energy to keep it warm/comfortable), stone (same thing as tile...but holds warmth a "snick" longer), engineered hardwood (notice the "ENGINEERED" part of that) or cork.

A cork floor takes a little bit more time to warm up (from the cool period of night time settings) but once it is heated, it radiates heat for hours. This elongates the time between "heat on" cycles. This will reduce your heating/cooling costs throughout the year.

Cork will also reduce sounds and vibrations from bouncing through the home.

Other than "cork", the sky is pretty much the limit. The rest is all up to personal style!
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:13AM
Julie Fortier
CanCork- Which cork product would you specifically recommend over radiant heat? I see many options on your Web site. Thanks,
0 Likes   Yesterday at 5:22AM
We have radiant heat through out the house. I have hardwood in part of the house and I had to sign off on the manufacturer’s warranty. It has been absolutely fine and we installed 7 years ago. The other areas in the house have stone, tile and wall to wall carpeting. No problems with any of these products either.

You are going to love your heating system. It will take a day or two to get to where it is supposed to be, but then you just leave it alone. I set the temp at 72*.
0 Likes   Yesterday at 5:30AM
GTG Builders
We have installed a lot of solid hardwood floors over radiant floors with great success. If a client decides they want something in hardwood wider then 3", we would recommend engineered wood for stability. Solid wood flooring should be rift and quartered with radiant.
1 Like   Yesterday at 5:33AM
GTG, that is why we had to sign off on the floors because we have random width boards. It is not engineered, but were I to do it again, I would go that route. It has worked fine in our house, but I would not recommend to someone else to give up a warranty.Here are pictures of the hardwood and the tile I used. Pondfront 1
Pondfront 2
0 Likes   Yesterday at 5:39AM
GTG Builders
JudyG....those are beautiful floors. Agreed, sometimes clients want what they want but we always try to advise them to be cautious. better safe than sorry.....
0 Likes   Yesterday at 5:44AM
Hydronic Heating & Radiant Floor Heating?
Properly designed hydronic systems control both the...
Mauzy Heating, Air & Solar
Tile faux wood floor and radiant heating in 2floor Master Bedroom...
Hi. I wanted to ask a question because I have been...
jermspill
Any experience with radiant floor heat and wood flooring?
I want to use radiant floor heating panels - the kind...
Ellessebee
If the radiant heating floor can use banboo floor?
hsmy
Can a mudroom floor be too small for radiant floor heating to be effective?
We have an unheated mudroom, 9.5' x 18', in southern...
A-la-Carte Building Services. Ltd.
Grohe minta touch kitchen faucet-has anyone gotten theirs to work?
In my kitchen remodel, I made the mistake of buying...
ktidwell10
How to do mortis and tenon on furniture?
My husand is making us an island that looks like a...
linda1945
Help on loft play/game room
Hello, i wonder if anyone can help give me some ideas...
mbakris
Bathroom upgrade?
Just moved in and wondering if I should redo the master...
smtebo61
Single or double sink
We are renovating our main upper bathroom. There is...
wopnford5