Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franfriday

Need help for my den-reposted discussion-accidently deleted

franfriday
11 years ago
Just redid after Hurricane Sandy. Am an artist, many paintings, objects, what to remove, what to keep or add? How to pull entire room together?

Bought muted Turkish vintage patchwork rug, so as not to compete with paintings.Added blue pillow to refer to blue wall behind sofa. Need help pulling together blue wall (iceberg Benjamin Moore) behind sofa table, and recess-(wicker chairs) which has pipe outlet for possible bar sink refrigerator.
How to use this recess area? Wicker chairs stay or go? Screen in recess is hiding some outdoor tables for the spring, don't know what to do with screen or to eliminate it. Rustic table between the chairs will also go outside in the spring.
Also need input on TV and fireplace wall, and grouping paintings!

In previous conversation, Barbara Griffith designs commented:
"...Remove artificial flowers, add green plants, remove little rug pieces, distracting (they are out for snowy weather), painting over bench is too small, add big cushions for bench (on the way from Pottery Barn),move painting down or switch it with the painting in between windows in the recess. ...simple linen drapes to soften the hard lines on glass door , windows."
All input would be welcome!

Comments (10)

• franfriday
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    More photos of my den
  • franfriday
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    One more
  • collettec
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think the composition of the art over the sofa looks a little too unbalanced with the one larger and other smaller art. Perhaps something more a similar size if going with the one row on the ledge. Or doing a more free form gallery wall with the larger picture in the center. You have so much art and it really is the centerpiece of the room. I would group it more in areas related to colors and or whether it is more figurative or less so to make areas of the room more cohesive. I would go with all white walls to let the art shine. Think the art between the two windows is too large and you could use something like bamboo shades or simple roman shades to soften the area. In the area near the chest, the art of the trees is too high and too different from the piece on the other side - perhaps two smaller pieces that are more like the art on the other side. Love what you've done so far, so eclectic and colorful!
  • franfriday
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    If I move the painting over the bench to a lower position, or add pieces above the bench too low, people sitting on the bench can't lean against the wall!
    One of my problems is that my art is eclectic, and the series' I have done of the same type are in the upstairs of my house, or not yet displayed. Here are some samples. These are figurative, but bold. The man and dog painting is upstairs. Am working on a series of family type portraits. Another is almost done, but they are different colors and don't seem to work together. www.franfriday.com has more of my art, but some has been sold.
    I have limited wall space. If I I remove the painting between the windows, where can I place it? I also have limited storage space! Was trying to group by color, but that is difficult too! Do I make art to specifically go with my den colors?
    If I add shades, I block light from the west, which this once dark den needs. I like the idea of softening however.
  • collettec
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I don't think you should do any art or tailor anything to go in a particular room if it's not what you would be doing otherwise. Obviously your art pieces are works of art in and of themselves and should be considered that first and foremost. Really the room decor is secondary in that sense and true of I think of a lot of people doing art. I think what I would do is just try grouping different things together in various places to see what looks good to your eye in terms of composition of the room. For instance with the art behind the couch, I don't think it would work any lower, but what it appeared to me was that the darker art and some of the larger pieces were all to one side and the lighter on the other side, so perhaps if you just interspersed it a bit more, so a little more balanced to either side. The gallery idea I was thinking of as a possibility was for more a bit higher to give yourself more wall space in which to display. For softness, perhaps something like light sheers so not a lot of fabric to either side of the small windows - if it works. Your room is eclectic and so is your art. I think I would just play around with arrangements to find what works for you. I like Barbara's ideas about the rugs and in terms of pieces of decor that you don't care about, rugs or other items or even perhaps a difference in wall color, those things that detract from your art as the centerpiece might be something to consider removing or downplaying. Your home is what works for you and represents you as a person and for you, clearly as an artist. Love a number of the ways you have used to present your art, eg overlapped on chairs casually as well and think I would just play with different compositions to see what works for you. Some people rotate art pieces if they have large collections so at various times ultimately everything gets displayed. Love the art you've displayed and the eclectic look of your room. I'm so sorry for your experiences with Hurricane Sandy. The very best to you -
  • franfriday
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks so much for your input! Will think about your suggestions, move and rotate paintings, and will post again when I'm done!
  • sondramartina
    11 years ago
    Where is your rug from? I like it.
  • franfriday
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I got the rug at G. Fried, in Westbury, N.Y.
  • franfriday
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    It is Fried or Freid.