Which cabinet for the dining room?
cyclingthroughlife
Slowly and surely, our house renovation is nearing completion. We've purchase a couple of antique pieces, which we can place in a couple of places in our house. The house is Craftsman styled/inspired.

The cabinets will be going against the wall (possibly two walls) as shown in the picture here.

Option number one is a hutch that came out of a Craftsman home (needs restoring and stripping for staining, but I have the glass doors for the top as well). Option two is a buffet that also came out of a Craftsman house (not the same one). The hutch is approximately 60 inches wide x 82 inches tall - it will need something (another cabinet or shelving?) on the top to finish it off. The buffet is 74 inches wide (which is just two inches shy of the opening on the right of our dining room wall - not the arch opening leading to the entry door) x 40 inches tall.

Maybe we're overthinking it, but would like to get some opinions. Which would you use?

Thanks in advance!
Mark
I'd go with option one. I don't like the idea of the other one almost reaching the door.
But I guess it depends on the rest of your interior too, both color- and style wise. Ultimately, it's all about which one you prefer.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 3:23PM
Becky
Wood toned cabinet
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 3:28PM
Creations Nadia Interior Design
i love # 1!! :)))
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 6:41PM
Definitely option 1.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 6:48PM
Ironwood Builders
Thought we were using the old built in hutch for the pantry! The built in will look orphaned if it is not actually built in...Option 2! The wood furniture piece.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:00PM
Keitha
I vote option 1
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:08PM
Eagledzines
Since the house is Craftsman inspired I would definitely go with option #1. It has strong Craftsman period detailing such as the wood knobs and the placement of the wood grilles. That is a defining piece of woodwork as one enters the house.

The second piece, although coming out of a craftsman house looks like an earlier period, the transition between Victorian and Craftsman. 1901-1905. It looks much more utilitarian and suited to a pantry or unfitted kitchen.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 7:14PM
bevballew
The wood cabinet if it blends with the front door. They look of the same wood color tone.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:05PM
boysaboys
I like the wooden buffet one. The top can hold plates etc for dining along with large candlesticks and a say a very large mirror on wall. No top piece needed. Keep it low and the room will appear larger.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:29PM
cyclingthroughlife
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions. Your insights are greatly appreciated!

@Ironwood Builders - when I first acquired the hutch, I was looking to put it in the butler's pantry, but with all this time to think about it, I started to second guess myself. Also, looking at all the beautiful hutches in the dining rooms here on Houzz sure didn't help!

@bevballew - the door is now stained with a rich English Chestnut stain. The buffet, which I purchased off Craigslist, was stripped and now ready for refinishing. We're going to stain it the same as the kitchen cabinets, although those are red oak and this buffet is gum wood.

@eagledzines - the grilles on the buffet certainly match the grilles on the windows throughout the house. All of our windows have a single row of grilles (muntins?) an the top of the window.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 4:23PM
Kitchen, dining room, living room combo: which paint sheen?
I know satin or SG would be best in the kitchen especially...
John
Which color for living room, dining room and entrance way?
Would like to change rook wood sash green which is...
hrhsusan
Please help us pull this dining room together?
This dining room has me stumped: it's got a doorway...
kedquist
Long skinny room - help!
Please help us with our living room! Any ideas on furniture...
jeffandchealsey
Central pendants dilemma
Here's a very good example of our interior design approach...
VANGUARD development
How can I improve this kitchen nook?
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
Does Tuscan faux finish look dated?
We recently bought a house in Arizona that is very...
gail1979