kitchen Backsplash help
grh215
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My wife has her mind set on a solid marble(calcutta gold of course) backsplash behind the stove to the hood and along bothsides, a 20 foot total run ,for our whole house redo. I had solid granite back splashs in old kitchen and we liked the lack of seems...has any every used 12 x24 marble tile on a backsplash, is it too large? ..it should eliminate seems to catch grase and dirt and not be in the multiple of $1000 ..
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
soberg
Calacatta (not "calcutta") marble is beautiful, but before using it as a backsplash, I would recommend buying a tile and applying tomato sauce, red wine, salad dressing, bacon grease, and blueberry jam to it and letting it sit overnight, then attempt to clean.

You may decide you're better off using white silk velvet fabric as a backsplash.
February 16, 2013 at 5:06AM   
0825sam
You could consider putting a stainless backsplash (a solid piece search houzz) behind the stove and the calacutta everywhere else. I have also heard of people buying a piece of stainless and putting it over the backsplash while cooking. I know it seems like a pain when you've spent so much $$ but the calacutta is beautiful.
February 16, 2013 at 6:19AM   
PRO
Innovation by Design LLC
I agree about the lack of integrity of the marble to withstand stains and odors! You might also look at mosaic tiles that appear to be seamless and use an epoxy grout!
February 16, 2013 at 6:27AM   
PRO
CMM Tile
If marble is properly sealed and stained are cleaned in a timely fashion, you should not have any problems. In essence, anything will stain if left untreated with colorants and acidity. For more information consult the Marble Institute of America.
February 20, 2013 at 1:20PM