Granite countertop seam.
Pixie
I am having a granite countertop installed. The fabricator wants to put the seam to the right of the sink and not in the front and back of the sink where there would be less seaming. The reason is that it is possible that due to settling the granite could crack. What has been your experience?
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
My fabricator puts the seam through the sink cutout whenever possible. Are these new cabinets the granite is being installed over? Could also be not enough support at the sink base cabinet.
February 16, 2013 at 9:32AM   
Ironwood Builders
Norm...two u-shaped cuts? My fabricator cuts the sink opening from the middle of the slab and seams at corners or in the field. The front and back rail of the sink cut out are rodded with steel and epoxy to keep them from cracking. The potential for differential movement through a sink base is higher because most of the cabinet structure needs to be removed to make room for the sink. Our plywood substrate helps...but can' be relied on completely. With larger sinks a front and back strip is sometimes used...makes for four seams. but the epoxy seems to have done the job on the few we've done that way.
February 16, 2013 at 9:43AM   
Pixie
The cabinets were installed when the house was built in 1995.I was not told that the support at the sink base cabinet was an issue. I was told that the preferred way to to seam to the right of the sink. Two contractors in my area said the same thing. I also was told that they would not be responsible if the granite cracked someime later on.
February 16, 2013 at 9:45AM   
Ironwood Builders
Oh yes they are responsible! Typical warranty, by law, is one year from install or substantial completion, when the product can be used for its intended purpose. Unless you sign a waiver (don't). Look farther for a contractor!
February 16, 2013 at 9:49AM   
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
David, I know in Cali you guys use alot of 2cm, not the case here, almost all of it is 3cm. Most fabricators are using fiberglass rodding now due to issues with the steel rusting, expanding, and cracking the top. I know, it's encapsuled in resin, how could it rust, it does.
February 16, 2013 at 9:54AM   
Ironwood Builders
True on material thickness! My installer uses stainless rod! I like him!
February 16, 2013 at 9:56AM   
Pixie
Thanks for your fast response. Is this warranty a state or federal law? I was not asked to sign a waiver. The contractor did say he would be responsible for repair if it happened within the year.
February 16, 2013 at 9:56AM   
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Hopefully it's not Chinese stainless, just saying...........
February 16, 2013 at 9:59AM   
Ironwood Builders
It is state law that rules this area, but most national contracts read the same (AIA contracts come to mind). So he is holding the one year minimum warranty, good. Maybe have a further conversation and get a feel for the reasoning behind both decisions....obviously Norm and I have two different ways off doing things!
February 16, 2013 at 10:01AM   
Richard Niemietz Inc. Design/Build
State warranty, and be careful where the seam is on any type of stone eg. Veins in marble. And when he's done, you should not be able to feel the seam if done correctly
February 16, 2013 at 10:02AM   
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Ouch, the exclamation point hurt 8-)
February 16, 2013 at 10:07AM   
Pixie
The stone is Sienna Beige (3 cm) and I believe it is from Brazil. The stone is being installed at my home in Massachusetts. I will certainly question the fabricator when he comes to measure and make a decision at that time. Don't know anything about fiberglass roding...is that something that that is standard practice? Thanks all for your responses!
February 16, 2013 at 10:09AM   
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Metal rods are ok if they are totally encapsulated in resin and the counter top is not going to be cut through creating an exposed end. Fiberglass rods are a newer product and still need to be time tested and some folks simply don't like new. I wouldn't delve into the technical aspects too deep, if you are using a reputable fabricator you will be fine.
February 16, 2013 at 10:20AM     
Where should the seam go for granite countertop?
We are installing granite countertops. Our installer...
Granite Countertop Seam Problem: Can this be improved?
We recently had a granite countertop installed in our...
Is the island one slab of granite or is there a seam?
Love the kitchen. It is very similar to the kitchen...
Over the toilet cabinet??? Good or bad design???
Over the toilet cabinet good or bad design? Is it out...
Lighting for closet
Building a 9'2" x 11'6" walk through closet. Considering...
Curtains and roman shades
Hello. First off, we like and want window coverings,...
Accent windowsill
Hey guys, The paint is pealing on my windowsill and...
Master bedroom
Just moved into a new house and want to do black and...