Need advice on hardwood flooring
16chris
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We plan to replace the carpeting in our three upstairs bedrooms with either hardwood or engineered wood. Bearing in mind that we plan to remain in this house for about five more years, I would like to ensure that this renovation will be an asset when we sell. I'd love some advice on whether we should do all three rooms in the same hardwood/color?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Hard to say if the return on investment will be there in 5 years, certainly not breakeven. Factoring in 5 years of enjoyment? If there is a 50% return, it should be worth it. Hardwoods tend to be loved by most here on house, a predominant number of questions have to do with flooring and cabinets, so it will be an asset. As for all three rooms...what happens in the hall? The stairs? I recommend the same treatment throughout for a unifying look. What is on the main level? How do you imagine the transition from lower level to upper will come about?
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 10:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
16chris
The house is about 19 years old, about 2700 sf two storey (no basement). Main floor is open plan, and has tile in the entry, hallway, main floor office, powder room and laundry, and also in the kitchen. Carpet in the great room and living/dining room, and also up the stairs and in the upstairs hallway. We have two large dogs, and I know from our experience with wood floors in the kitchen that it would not hold up in the high traffic areas. I know we won't get a full return on the investment, we definitely would do it for ourselves, but have been reading that home buyers these days really prefer wood floors. Thanks for the thoughtful response; I'm wondering if I need to rethink this; perhaps a master bedroom remodel with wood flooring, but carpet the other two upstairs bedrooms?
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 11:13PM