olld 2/17
February 17, 2013 in Other
Good morning all!! Boy am I glad I stayed out of that builder's discussion, never even saw it!

I think I solved a tiny design dilemma in GB1 !!! I wanted to put panels on either side of the window but didn't want to run the curtain rod the full width of the window and couldn't find a rod small enough to work. So I bought 2 sets of brackets and 2 wooden dowels! I do believe this will work, since the panels will be non-functional. What do you think? Will it work?
February 17, 2013 at 4:10AM   
Kiss the cook! All day, everyday!
February 17, 2013 at 4:23AM     
astraea
Vegetarian cooking is healthy, but labor-intensive. I like watching the cooking shows .. wish I had a cook at home!
February 17, 2013 at 4:31AM     
astraea
Roo - Did you see the article on the "This Week on Houzz" e-mail, about "5 Arts & Crafts Homes with an Australian Spin"?
February 17, 2013 at 4:46AM     
olldroo
Morning all, phew for a new day without dramas. Pity that girl didn't express herself better, but she seems nice and get where she was coming from now. You lot were all zzzzzzing when it came up.

Bobbi, your curtain idea sounds good, I wouldn't like the rod going all the way across if you were leaving the curtains open. I think I would like to hide the brackets with the curtains though, worried it might look choppy. With my bathroom curtains that I just do a rod pocket for and they don't open, I just attach a small bracket on each side of the window architrave and have a metal rod that screws into the bracket - well you slip one end in and the other has a little screw system on it. Very easy to use. The thing is that when the curtain is up, you don't see any of it and the curtain doesn't get caught up in the bracket either. The only other thing would be a covered pelmet going across so it hides the fact there is no rod. Do you have architraves around your windows? Are your curtains going to hang from the architraves or are you taking them higher? If you have architraves, you only need to screw a length of timber at right angles to the top of the architrave so it comes out comfortably past the curtains (I think mine is about 4 or 5 ins wide) iron some vyline to the back of the fabric, finish the edge and staple it to the top of the board so it hangs over and down. If you put a little pleat on top in the corners it will sit nicely. Maybe Julie will have some thoughts for you - she is the curtain queen.

So is R's apron an open invitation or is the membership exclusive??

Astraea - ditto the cook, although the fancy way they cook these days with all the sauces, jus and umpteen other names for silly things they squirt around the plates, I'm sure I would pile the weight on.

Didn't see that ideabook, thanks. Haven't had time to check out the updates for several weeks now, a couple of times I have just had a quick run through to see if there might be anything interesting where once I would have checked everything. Don't recognise any of the homes, although I can take a good guess at the suburbs the Sydney ones are in. I do recognise the style, particularly in some of the older, affluent suburbs near me.

Off to bed for another early start. I may not get much chance to chat this week. I wondered why BH has been so into the renos, he is getting like someone possessed to get things done and driving me insane as once again my things don't matter only his. Just found out via a very loud phone call he had (empty rooms, everything echoes) he is planning on going to LA in about 4 weeks and won't be back till June!!!! How I am looking forward to the peace and quiet!!!!
February 17, 2013 at 5:17AM     
astraea
Roo - Isn't that a long visit; business?
February 17, 2013 at 5:52AM   
S. Thomas Kutch
Good morning ladies......it's grey, cold and I'm thinking I should have stayed in bed this morning.... damn dog.

Bobbi, I read the contractor thread and decided it would be best to just keep my distance.or at least balance it out with a spin on unreasonable clients or even better insane designers who didn't know squat about construction....."what do you mean you can't float a beam across there, can't you hang it from something...." dang I hate it when I'm all out of sky hooks. That was an actual conversation with an interior designer who objected to the columns placement.

It was just a better decision not to get involved with the thread.........I'm betting I would have ended up getting a permanent ban or at the least had a hit put out on me by an offended group of Interior designers........sometimes, keeping ones mouth shut is the bigger challenge.

I think I need a vacation..... this retirement crap is too much like work.

I'm gonna go fix my breakfast and have my second cup of coffee.......or just kick the damn dog......I'm debating on what will make me feel better..........

Have a great day ladies......you too Dave.
February 17, 2013 at 6:14AM     
MORNING ALL. Snowing and blowing here 60 -70 mph. Wild.

Just made two attempts to post on tras' mirror convo 2/16, but it was cut off.

tras, the French HORN is Circa Lighting, but I like your Hinkley choice just as well…simpler. You will love those mirrors. You didn't tell us your deal, but on Wayfair, each is 327.00 http://www.wayfair.com/Uttermost-Himalaya-Flat-Arch-Framed-Mirror-10770-B-UM1640.html

A pix of the French Horn installed. And this was a closet!!!!!!!!

February 17, 2013 at 6:52AM   
Roo, what's an architrave?

Flea market today, weather supoosed to be around 70. Judy, that is wild weather!
February 17, 2013 at 7:09AM   
Ironwood Builders
Bobbi, I pushed Antoinette on that post earlier. She has a current job working in Pakistan...all Internet. He sounds like he is rethinking his architectural plan...don't know if ASV wants to go there. I think from viewing the plan he's trying to stick too much into his available space. All lot of baths and one opens out into the drawing room. The passive cooling would be neat to play with, but high humidity makes that a tough job. I'll monitor it and see if anything pops up. Thanks! You all having a good day? And what flea market are you going to? The Alameda is past for the month isn't it?
February 17, 2013 at 7:49AM     
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your great support. I prefer that this gentleman work with an architect in situ although always happy to give him suggestions, I just don't feel up to re-drawing an entire house plan because it can get tricky with the architect he has on site. In addition, my client I am working with is building their house in South Africa - and I understand that country better than I do the difficulties of building in Pakistan. So what we take for granted here, doesn't always apply and I would hate to mislead or raise expectations. When it comes to bricks and mortar, I will always err on the side of caution unless I am in place!
Just kissed my baby girl goodbye as she goes back to school in the UK after a week's holiday with us (sniff sniff).
Have a great day everyone (whether that be today or tomorrow)
All the best
February 17, 2013 at 7:59AM     
bobbi, I love flea markets and we don't have any. When I was visiting DD in Bethesda she took us to Frederick where the entire town was a flea market idea. I found the most fabulous stuff, had no way to get it home, bought it anyway and months later good friends from Alexandria drove it all to the Cape! One of the spots we visited is this link:
Great Stuff By Paul - Antiques and other Great Stuff for Interior ...

www.greatstuffbypaul.com

Wish I were with you and R today. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

roo? 'til June? Wow. Are you okay alone for that length of time? You're not scared of things that go bump in the night? Cutie Pie leaves for Key West next week for 2 weeks with his tennis buds. I will enjoy my free time, but by then I miss him and have had enough of the single life. I have to have daily counseling sessions with the kitty cat as she goes into a slump when he leaves. What we do for pets.
February 17, 2013 at 8:04AM     
Dave, I don't know too much about the Alameda Flea Mkt, just what I've seen on tv. It's supposed to be big, though, isn't it? Not crazy about Alameda; speed limit is 25 mph for the whole island!!! We're going to the San Jose Flea Mkt, the one off Berryessa. It's ok, but waaaaay too many permanent vendors selling the same garbage all the time. Great produce, we bring a lot of that home,

What's on your agenda for today?
February 17, 2013 at 8:13AM   
Ironwood Builders
Bobbi, the Alameda Flea is the best for the home. Completely wild range of stuff and some good prices..but also some rip off prices. I've been a couple of times. It takes all day and then some, I've not made it through all the vendors before throwing up my hands and saying, "Enough!". Only food is for eating right there. You drive more than 25 MPH ever? I thought you were old? (HAH). I'm doing Houzz today, working on some drawings for an air conditioner cover up, trying to find some backplates for the hardware for the current job's cabinets. That meeting went pretty well with the homeowner yesterday...except they want us to move the knobs in the kitchen 3/16"....and it won't cover. We put them in the exact spot discussed....center of the stile and rail in the corner...but because of the angle of the eye, some look too high and some look too low..So we either epoxy sand and repaint or get them to OK a backplate. Got a hunch I'm in for an argument. That I'll lose again. crap

Trag, i liked the Hinckley fixture with the rectangular back...Probably has a better price point!
February 17, 2013 at 10:54AM     
Hi Dave
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/355425/Grout-color-on-fireplace-wall This is a dilemma that I am sure you will be able to provide better insight into than I. I am sure there are some products on the market that can help but I don't know the US market to that level.
Cheers
February 17, 2013 at 11:02AM   
You know those jokes roo has been posting…"and then the fight began", this houzzer came out swinging: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/355507/_msg=Q2hhbmdlcyBzdG9yZWQgc3VjY2Vzc2Z1bGx5Lg/Help-with-Houzz
February 17, 2013 at 11:51AM     
trasgorshek
Wow, just read it...don't even know what to say.

Judy I absolutely love those sconces! I think I've decided on the mirror. It was between the bamboo and the Wilshire (last one) when all was said and done. Looking at the shadowbox trim and the paint color etc plus looking at our master I believe I'm going with Wilshire. Still deciding on lights and waiting to hear pricing to confirm it all. I did find this pic with the Wilshire's and it helped a lot. I had measured them all on the wall but it always helps to have a visual just to confirm what you are thinking. I was wanting more of a goldish hue to add warmth but I will bring warmth in with the rugs. The bamboo I could get for $269, can you believe it!! I'm still waiting for figures on the Wilshire, hopefully just as good!! Fingers crossed.

Hope everyone is having a great day! Kiddos got sick again....this time sinus infection. So I'm scrubbing the house again today. Hopefully we will be able to play tomorrow since they are out for Presidents Day.

Here's the pic I found. Wish I could find one of the bamboo in a home.
February 17, 2013 at 12:13PM   
trasgorshek
Found one with the bamboo curl, yea!! Would love to go black shades like pic but with no cans above, worry about not enough light. I do believe the French Horns lights would look great with it.

Does anyone know if there a distance between the mirror and light that is recommended? Because I'm thinking I might have to go to the side walls like the pic above and here.

Bobbi, love the pic of the apron! Too cute!
February 17, 2013 at 12:20PM     
astraea
Judy - It was very windy in NJ too today; I could feel the car being pushed sideways, on the highway! No snow at least; in the mid-30s & sunny.
February 17, 2013 at 12:27PM     
olldroo
Morning all. Another wet day here, painter thrilled he has indoor work. Supposed to be having another week of probable rain like last week - meant it rained enough to be a nuisance with sunny breaks in between.

Astraea - Our visas to the US are for 3 months so he stays with dd that time, helps out with the grands and does odd jobs for them. Last time he went, it was quite hilarious, he got a round world ticket and went to Germany first for 3 months then flew across to LA and then home. When he got to LAX to come home he was bumped off the flight till the next day, but they couldn't return his luggage, so said he could bring an extra two bags. Went back the next day and was bumped again but they booked him to SF the following day claiming he would have more chance of a flight from there. Next day went to SF with his 4 bags of luggage (was able to bring heaps of stuff out for DD, but they bumped him from there as well and put him up in a really nice hotel again keeping his luggage which they actually put on the plane. The next day when they were calling flights they even made a special announcement that he really was going home that day. Of course when he got to Sydney his bags had all passed customs and were ready and waiting for him right beside the shuttle bus home. He thought it hilarious, he paid $2700 for his ticket and got $2400 for being bumped, plus meal vouchers, accommodation and the extra luggage allowance.

................. Meanwhile, I just enjoy the peace and quiet at home and being able to do whatever I want when I want. It is also a great time to toss junk he insists on keeping.

Judy, with our possums and turkeys, a night WITHOUT bumps is a rarety, in fact without the bumps I'm usually awake wondering why everything is so quiet. Doesn't bother me at all.

Bobbi - an architrave is the timber frame that goes around the windows and doors. Our windows come in like a timber frame about 4 or 5 ins wide and that just sits in the opening in the wall. The architrave goes on the inside wall around that to cover where the wall and window frame meet.

Antoinette, that must be so hard having your daughter schooled in England, although I know it is very common in Europe. Do you move around a lot?
February 17, 2013 at 1:42PM   
olldroo
Tras, glad your bathroom is coming together for you. I like those mirrors now I see them in a photo and get an idea of proportions. I like the idea of the lamps being on the side wall too, I just feel when they are beside the mirror they are a bit in your eyes. Just have to watch for reflection from the mirror, that can be as bad. I find black shades cause the light to shine up and down in a very defined way and don't give good lighting to the room at all. They do look elegant but then they also show the dust - hehe.
February 17, 2013 at 1:52PM     
olldroo
Judy - thank you for reminding me - I forgot the finale

When our lawn mower broke and wouldn't run, my wife kept hinting
to me that I should get it fixed. But, somehow I always had
something else to take care of first, the shed, the boat,
making beer... Always something more important to me. Finally she
thought of a clever way to make her point.

When I arrived home one day, I found her seated in the tall
grass, busily snipping away with a tiny pair of sewing
scissors. I watched silently for a short time and then went into
the house. I was gone only a minute, and when I came out again
I handed her a toothbrush. I said, "When you finish cutting the
grass, you might as well sweep the driveway."

The doctors say I will walk again, but I will always have a limp.
February 17, 2013 at 1:56PM     
Somehow, I keep missing all the fun! Or at least keep missing all the controversial discussions.
February 17, 2013 at 3:27PM     
astraea
Roo - Those are just too funny!!
February 17, 2013 at 3:32PM     
judy, I guess that swinging Houzzer's remarks got deleted. Dang! Missed all the fun again!
February 17, 2013 at 3:41PM     
astraea
Now I'm getting these incredibly late e-mail notifications! I got the one for S. Thomas' post that starts, "Good morning ladies" .. and was time stamped 10 hours ago!! E-mail is times 6:44 PM .. and we're in the same time-zone I think!!
February 17, 2013 at 4:11PM   
Yes! Me too!
February 17, 2013 at 4:20PM   
olldroo
Yeah, I just got Kutchie's too, though it must have swam across. It wasn't just the email the post wasn't there earlier either.

Swamped with men again, painter making so much noise sanding, BH dashing between under the house and in the roof to help and the sparky walks in to do my lounge ceiling fan and a couple of other fixes we need. BH actually suggested I might like to go out and get away from it all - why would I leave a house of men that bow to my every request with no argument. I am SO the boss here at the moment!!!!
February 17, 2013 at 4:21PM     
astraea
Very Strange .. I wonder if he edited it, and that somehow generated a new notification?

Roo - I posted something on our 2/17 AARP discussion; you should check it out .. about a funny comment someone made.
February 17, 2013 at 4:27PM     
olldroo
Astraea, I haven't been on AARP for the last few days unfortunately, have barely had time for here. Will see how I go.
February 17, 2013 at 4:32PM   
olldroo
Hey, Linda, glad you are around. I meant to ask you the other day when you were talking demo work - do you get many problems with asbestos? You seem to be working on so many old homes and even when I see ideasbooks or dilemmas here, no one ever mentions it.
February 17, 2013 at 4:35PM   
astraea
Roo - Since the other group is "mine", I'm there every day, just to make sure everything's OK, and no one's having trouble with the website. I thought I hadn't seen you there!
February 17, 2013 at 4:38PM     
Maybe he forgot to hit the 'submit' button? Huh, STK? Didja?
February 17, 2013 at 4:40PM   
olldroo
What for 10 HOURS!!!
February 17, 2013 at 4:49PM   
It happens!
February 17, 2013 at 4:52PM   
olldroo
I guess, after all we are OLLD!!!!
February 17, 2013 at 5:32PM     
Linda
To be honest, there probably is asbestos in some of the properties around here. We're in a very blue collar area and very rarely do you see anyone get too excited about it (rightly or wrongly, that's how it is). We probably are exposed to more lead paint than asbestos. I just try to remind the guys I work with to be cautious about lead paint - that's difficult for "get it done" guys so sometimes I have to say No, leave it alone. It's hard to keep them from wanting to sand everything, but I try.

The project on Saturday was for Habitat for Humanity on a project where they hope to be receiving some funding through the federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program. That area definitely qualifies as probably a third of the houses in the area have been foreclosed on, some of them twice in the space of 5 or 6 years. For the Habitat projects, environmental testing is done and abatement is taken care of before the volunteers get involved. No one said anything about asbestos being found there, but all the door and window trim and the baseboards were removed due to the lead paint issue.
February 17, 2013 at 5:44PM     
On the news the other night, they ran a story about a Habitat for Humanity home site where all the tools had been stolen during the night. They approximated $3,000 worth. I believe in karma!!! They will get theirs, don't ya think?
February 17, 2013 at 5:47PM   
trasgorshek
That'r really sad!!
February 17, 2013 at 5:59PM     
S. Thomas Kutch
I think I did edit it after posting it.......changed a misspelled word. Details are every thing.
February 17, 2013 at 6:01PM     
TK, seriously. Guess what! I actually got a sunburn today, walking around the flea market. Sunscreen in February? Really?
February 17, 2013 at 6:01PM     
olldroo
Linda, most of the asbestos problems are in the sheeting (called fibro) that was used in wet areas like bathrooms and laundrys, but depending on the structure of the house could pop up anywhere. It was also used as insulation around hot water pipes. Quite often backyard sheds were built with it too. It is a huge issue here with cases of asbestosis and mesothelioma on the rise. No builders will touch any demolition work until they are 100% sure what they are working with and if any doubt at all, specialised removalists have to be used, and the materials have to be specially handled and wrapped on the spot. Only certain disposal sites will accept it too.

I am really surprised with all the litigation James Hardy has been through, it is not a major issue over there as it really is very dangerous. I knew a lady who was the most fittest, healthiest person there was, she really looked after herself. He son was a builder and when he came home from work she would take his overalls and shake them outside to remove all dust before putting in the washing machine. Just from that she developed meso and died in her 50s - it was very sad. It only takes one fibre and you are dead, there is no cure at all. Do be super careful.
February 17, 2013 at 6:04PM   
princess_q
What an awesome idea to start this thread. I have seen a few unnecessary comments on a few of my posts and just ignored them. Now, I get that some people just want to start trouble. I wish I had that kind of free time lol.

We have 3 kids and one on the way...4, 3, and 16 months (all girls). The older two are loving the process. They help us narrow down are choices, pick the chandeliers for their rooms, design the basement (that will be their space). Our eldest wanted an ensuite lol! we compromised on a jack and jill bathroom haha.

It's been fun so far. We are almost at our deadline for signing off on all the trades. The ground is dug and as soon as all the interior finishes are chosen we will start to see the house go up.

Be prepared...I will have lots of questions and need lots of opinions in the next little while. I am absolutely open to all comments an opinions :)
February 17, 2013 at 6:08PM   
Linda
Unfortunately, theft from construction sites isn't uncommon. One construction site a few years ago was broken into three times. The first time was when construction had just begun and no materials were taken, but lots of hand tools. I was disgusted because I had loaned that project manager some tools from the site I was working at and he forgot to bring them back and they were stolen. They weren't my personal property, but I had collected them from donations, took care of them, and made them available for use. Over time I've spent lots on tools which have disappeared or gotten damaged while I was doing volunteer work so I try to be careful but still I end up using and abusing my own tools.

That same site also had a break in a few months later when someone stole all the newly installed copper pipe. After the pipe had been replaced, the house was broken into again and someone went through and cut all the copper pipe and stacked it by the basement door but was interrupted by a neighbor. The would be thief got away, but at least the material didn't have to be replaced, just reinstalled. The site I was working on was very security conscious and we always bolted the basement door and screwed the exterior door shut until it was replaced with a good quality door and deadbolt. Someone did try to break in and opened the exterior basement access doors but wasn't able to open the inner door.

We also had problems with shoplifting and price tag switching at ReStore.
February 17, 2013 at 6:19PM   
My God. That's just unbelievable.
February 17, 2013 at 6:22PM   
trasgorshek
Sad...

My dad had a problem with them stealing copper where he used to work. He would have break ins a lot also. One time they found a dead person back by the garbage can. I always worried about him having to go down in the middle of the night due to break ins. Sometimes he would get there before the cops...scary.

Speaking of copper. I watched Peoples Bank put in a complete copper roof last summer. I would just shake my head while I watched them hammer and weld while I waited at the stop light. Don't get it. So much money for a roof, at a bank no less, in this economy. Maybe it's just me.
February 17, 2013 at 6:31PM     
princess_q
I went to see our builder today and they mentioned that they just had someone come and steal appliances out of a home that was supposed to have possession this week. So sad for the new home owners :(
February 17, 2013 at 6:44PM   
tras, French Horn was in your ideabook!
February 17, 2013 at 6:49PM     
olldroo
Wow, how bad is all that stealing, copper piping is quite valuable though so probably get a pretty penny for it. Why on earth would you want copper on a roof. Definitely overkill. Hope they aren't having it shiny, the reflection would be huge.

Princess, would that be the builder's responsibility or would the home owner have had to have insurance at this stage?
February 17, 2013 at 7:09PM   
trasgorshek
Judy, too funny! I probably could have saved 5 hours if I would have just gone through my ideabooks. LOL

Now I'm trying to figure out placement. I'm banging my head against the desk, it's driving me crazy. Either the lights will be tight to the mirror, with one on each side of each mirror. Or, I can go to the side walls and do a double arm with no lighting in the middle. Or a single arm on side walls with a double arm in the middle. I took the bulbs out in the hollywood lighting that is up to see if side lighting would work okay (if it would be enough light by itself). I think I would need at least a double arm on the sides if that's all I did. So I'm looking at those also. I'm going crazy. It's much easier when it's not your home and your $ that you have to stretch like stretch armstrong.

Here's a few I've found so far, second one is the French Horn double arm. Looks like Circa and Troy lighting are my best bets. More pricey then a few others but if I just do two lights it will work out. I have the Murray Feiss Lucia light in my bedroom, but don't think it really matters.
February 17, 2013 at 7:27PM   
trasgorshek
Here's a couple more. The second one comes in a double arm but I didn't save it to my desktop. All come in either brushed nickel or antique silver finish to go with the mirror.
February 17, 2013 at 7:32PM   
olldroo
Tras that photo of your mirrors has the lights on the side wall and nothing in the middle and it looks fine. Methinks you are starting to over think this. Go for a walk!!!

Know what you mean about not looking at what is under your nose. I was trying to find a photo to post the other day, later found it in my ideasbook.
February 17, 2013 at 7:37PM   
trasgorshek
LOL LOL LOL, I wish I could but we are all under the weather so no outside till hopefully tomorrow!! That's why I have time to play online, which is inevitably driving me crazy. I have a little OCD, can you tell?? Mixed with ADHD. I will start this project then mossy to a different room and start another one, my bathroom will probably be torn up for weeks. But I have a electrician working for free so I want everything lined up before he comes so I can knock it all out at once without costing!! :) I'm moving wires, and don't want to do it.

The pic shown is very similar to my setup except I have probably another 8-12 inches between the mirrors. I'm afraid if I just do two single arm lights, with no cans overhead, that it might not be enough light. But, unfortunately, I won't know until I buy the lights and get them up. Time for chocolate and a glass of wine.
February 17, 2013 at 7:47PM   
princess_q
olldroo - The builder says it is still their responsibility and they are working hard to ensure everything is ready for possession. I hope it all works out.
February 17, 2013 at 8:08PM     
olldroo
Tras, chocolate and a glass of wine sound a great alternative. You have my permission.

You DO NOT have OCD, you DO NOT have ADHD - you have a severe case of F-E-M-A-L-E and are perfectly normal. So while I am trying to decide on how I can check a paint colour for the grands' room when I can't get a sample, and tearing my hair out, maybe I can help you decide a bit. What strength globes will your lights take? Can you get a couple of other lamps - any lamp will do, put that wattage globe in each and stand them on each end of your vanity to see how much light they give out?? If you are going to be using that vanity for makeup then probably this won't be enough, but I don't think centre lights will do it either. Maybe you will need a can, separately switched, so you can go optional. I'm assuming that is what you call a downlight, and quite frankly I'd put one in anyway, you just never know when it could be useful and you don't really see them, they won't spoil the effect of the room.

From the above photo, you really wouldn't have a clue whether they have something like that or not and of course photographers would have brought their own lighting in to confuse the issue even more.
February 17, 2013 at 9:11PM     
trasgorshek
;) I can tell you feel my pain! I will need it for makeup unfortunately. Most of them take 60watt, which is what's in the Hollywood lights. So I took all of them out except the ones on the end and I could tell I needed a little more so I added another bulb next to it and that would work okay. Then I left the one on the ends and and put one bulb on the other end of the strip (so it would be towards middle of vanity) and that worked okay also. But I would rather not put a light in the center. I think you are absolutely correct. I think I need two cans above. Ugghhh, I just don't want to take advantage of the electrician while I have him. Originally he was coming to throw some cans in downstairs, now I have him doing two conduit lines, moving the vanity lights to the sides and putting in two cans in the bathroom on top of the cans downstairs.

Ohhh, I'm just going to get two single light sconces for the sides and play my cards with the electrician and see what happens. If I don't get cans now I can always get them later or switch to two arm sconces. It will be fine. And I will let money decide on which lights, there are about four I'm deciding between and love them all so I'm fine with it. Ohhhh, I'm done babbling about it. I'll keep quiet till its done...cross my heart.
February 17, 2013 at 10:03PM   
olldroo
Tras, he can only say no. Offer to pay him for the extra cans and see what he says. Sometimes you have to do tradeoffs, you have got this far free, that is a bonus, if you have to pay for more then at least it is all done. Of course, if he is happy to do it for free buy him a carton of beer. He'll think you are the best, and you will be guilt free.
February 18, 2013 at 2:50AM   
trasgorshek
Lol. A builder I've been working with is paying for it. He said he would send his electrician (subcontractor) over free of charge. Just don't want to take complete advantage of him. The electrician would be happy to spend a week here if he could probably so he could charge builder more. Hopefully the electrician will split his charge, so I can pay some without it getting to the builder.
February 18, 2013 at 7:06AM   
trasgorshek
How was your day?
February 18, 2013 at 7:06AM   
Have you seen the "new" Edison style lightbulbs? They're awesome! And rather pricey at $10/each.
February 18, 2013 at 12:15PM   
astraea
Bobbi - what are the "new" Edison style lightbulbs? I already hate the energy saver bulbs, which are also expensive, and take 5+ minutes to warm up & actually provide light!
February 18, 2013 at 12:35PM   
EZ, yes, exactly! And a great description. If you have clear pendant lights or scones, they make all the difference!
February 18, 2013 at 1:12PM   
Aren't they awesome?
February 18, 2013 at 1:42PM   
astraea
Wow; isn't it great that our homes can look like they did back in 1879?! I'll pass.
February 18, 2013 at 2:02PM   
olldroo
Morning all, beautiful sunny day in ole Sydney Town.

LIGHT BULBS!!!! They are the absolute bane of my life. I hate shopping for them, there are just so many sizes, shapes, screws, bayonets, standard and mini, then working out the wattage and converting it back to what I know, only to find out the whole thing isn't accurate anyway, then there are the ones that get hot so you can't use them in all fittings, and there are supposed warm colours, some are, some aren't, and cool colours and colours vary there too, knowing what length will fit the light fitting, and no store stocks a full range, so you can go to 6 stores before you find what you want. As for the guaranteed long life - does that mean you keep every box with the purchase date written on it and the store docket for the next however many years - oh and because they now use photosensitive paper for dockets, you have to photocopy them first before the print fades off them. Prices are going up and up too, I was shown one the other day that is supposed to last 20 years - cost $32. As for those ones that take 5 mins to warm up, as far as I am concerned they are downright dangerous. BH put them in our entry hall and I nearly fell down the loungeroom steps - being impatient of course. We also have one in the kitchen and quite often I find opening the fridge door is quicker and easier and I get better light.

I like how the Edison globes have the glass around the element. Our standard ones are the shape of the element and look damn ugly in many light fittings.
February 18, 2013 at 2:04PM     
OLLD 6/17
Morning all! Am I first or did I miss another post?...
OLLD - 5/17
TGIF - Does it feel that way for you too?
OLLD 3/17
Good St. Patrick's Day morning! That was some discussion...
OLLD 10/17
Leaves are falling all around. Autumn is taking hold...
OLLD 11/17
Happy Sunday all, do you spend your Sunday at church,...
tile pattern design
I'm trying to make a final decision on tiling my powder...
Contractor Wanted for Bathroom Reno and siding
We have a cottage in Port Carling, Muskoka needs a...
Lounge and dining area
I would like to decorate this area as a lounge and...
Paint first or decorate first?
My dilemma is, do I paint now when my painter can fit...
See if I can explain this???
I wish i had a pic but i failed to take one today while...