trying to grow bamboo in containers, where can i find bamboo plants to get started.
Kelly Jacques
Bamboo starter plants, how do i grow them? where can i find plants?
Depends where you are. What do you want your bamboo for? Aesthetics, screening, or patio decor?
Bamboos can grow very rampantly but it all depends on the temperature and humidity. Let me know which continent you are on and in which zone and I can perhaps help further.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:30AM
Kelly Jacques
US. Zone 7-9, I am trying to achieve a nice patio decor which also provides screening around our Hot Tub, our hot tub sits on our deck. I need some natural screening on one side.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:15AM
I can give you ideas of what species work well - you will need to contact your local nursery to source them. The best bamboos for you would be the Phyllostachys species - this includes the nigra (black stemmed bamboo - stunning); spectabilis (crooked stems); aurea sucalta (green/yellow stripes).
The bissetti is great for a privacy and doesn't end up growing tall.
If you cut bamboo, it will not grow back - it will produce shoots in spring and fall and this will grow instead. There is one exception Semiarundinaria (fastuosa) which is a species you can cut and then the leaves will thicken.
These all need good sunshine (about 5 hours per day) and if they don't need to be overwatered. Good drainage is necessary.
You will need to check with your local nursery about these plants for your area: phyllostachys can grow VERY tall and you don't want to have to lug these out of their planters when they get too big. So start with smallish sizes and keep them low and remove old culms (stems) every spring to make room for the new shoots.
One other word of warning. bamboos shed leaves a lot- so if you keep your hot tub covered that is fine. But you will find a lot of leaf drop all year round.
Have fun - I love bamboo and currently have about 300 specimens and 25 species in my garden
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:35AM
Sigrid
If you can't find them in your local nursery, go to the library and pick up some gardening magazines. Flip to the back for ads. If there's a local gardening magazine in the supermarket, pick up that. Black bamboo is really cool. Young plants don't develop the black color immediately, though. Bamboo is invasive and if you're not putting it in pots, you should probably use a bamboo barrier when you plant it.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:37AM
Should I stay or should I go? Said the rug
I just received my rug to go in the dinning room. Table...
Bathroom renovation
So we will be re doing our bathrooms and I wanted to...
House exterior
I want to repaint my house and roof .please advice...
Foyer orb light height - 4.75" chain ok?
Here is my foyer in progress. I am leaning towards...
I Need Help Finishing Chair Rail Ends
I want to top off some tile work around my corner tub...